Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Law  (Read 4841 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Dwarven Law
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:30:12 pm »

What determines severity of punishment?

a while back, my dwarves violated an export ban issued by the Duke.
This led to either 24 days imprisonment, or 4 hammerstrikes. Hammer strikes weren't issued due to lack of hammer, and before the hammerer had finished doing his round of apologizing to folks about being unable to execute them, those dwarves sentenced to prison had already done their time.

But now, my dwarves violated an export ban issued by the mayor.
This led to either 76 days imprisonment, or 1 hammer strike.

Now I can see, why higher prison sentencing is in order. The mayor represents the whole population throught fair, albeit untransparant election, while the Duke is just a purple flashing prat.
What I don't understand is, the discontinuity of proportion seen with prison time vs hammer strikes. If 24 days equals 4 hammerstrikes, why is the hammerstrike equivalent for 76 days not 12 hammerstrikes?

We need a proper Dwarven Book of Law
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BeenCarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • American Society for Velociraptor Attack Protection
Re: Dwarven Law
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »

Usually I kill the those nobles because of ridiculous demands so I would have no idea, but It would be good to know.
It's like fighting goblins with lye, and winning.
Velociraptor season is here.
Are you prepared?
http://www.velociraptors.info/

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:40:17 pm »

My wooden badge was delicious.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:08 pm »

That just handles days in prison, not hammer strikes.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:38:37 pm »

Heh. Scrolling through the jsutice list again, I notice that there still is a dwarf who has a 1-hammerstrike sentence pending. I don't think he will ever get it, even if I did have a hammer.

The dwarf in question is the hammerer himself. The hammerer got sentenced to 1 hammerstrike for violating an export ban, lol.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:44:11 am »

I still can't figure out how to get the hammerer to use the hammer I want him to use--i.e., the soft candy hammer or the wooden crossbow, or maybe a moody dwarf's lightweight bone hammer. He seems intent on picking up masterwork silver ones that are supposed to go to the military, no matter what I assign him. It's frustrating.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 01:35:11 am »

in my fortress the punishment for not fulfilling mandates is to bury the noble who demanded it or a variable number of hammer strikes if he happens to go berserk

i don't think the disproportion between hammers/prison is an issue until there aren't any notable drawbacks for not punishing criminals

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:09 am »

I still can't figure out how to get the hammerer to use the hammer I want him to use--i.e., the soft candy hammer or the wooden crossbow, or maybe a moody dwarf's lightweight bone hammer. He seems intent on picking up masterwork silver ones that are supposed to go to the military, no matter what I assign him. It's frustrating.

A hammerer will not use the hammer that is assigned to him for militray use. Executing a hammering sentence just generates a 'pick up warhammer job' and a 'chain animal, beat criminal' job. The grab hammer job is ignored if none is available, leading to no punishment. How to get your hammerer to grab the lightweight candy warhammer for justice? Make sure the silver warhammers are very far away. As with any job, the grab hammer job just looks for the nearest warhammer, relative from the position of the hammerer, at the time of job creation.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 04:38:34 am »

in my fortress the punishment for not fulfilling mandates is to bury the noble who demanded it or a variable number of hammer strikes if he happens to go berserk

i don't think the disproportion between hammers/prison is an issue until there aren't any notable drawbacks for not punishing criminals

You got it wrong. You should love those nobles. Violating a export ban every year is a good way of keeping your dwarves happy. Just make sure there is no hammer available for hammerings.
Why? The 'is happy to be released from prison' thought is a very nice positive thought, really worth the low prison times issued for export violation.

Or, as my good friend Urist McChaingang used to say, "An export violation a day, keeps the tantrum spiral away"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:42:10 am by martinuzz »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 05:16:06 am »

I see quite a bit of sense, if not textbook 'logic', in how these punishments are determined.

See, the being assigning the punishment is opinionated, emotional, and usually no more logical than the next dwarf.

The creator of the punishment is SO impulsive about it, the beard doesn't even verify that hammers or cells exist in the fortress before assigning punishments involving them.  Kinda like a judge trying to send someone to the (non-existant/never-gonna-exist) penal colony in Antartica, or the one on the moon.  There's no oversite committee to say 'hey, we cant do that, so how will we punish them instead?'

So, the beard's thinking in the moment, how upset is he about what's gone on?  How vile does he currently imagine the prison to be, how nasty and heavy the hammer?  Is he mad enough at someone he wants them dead, or just inconvenienced?  After all, the nobles rarely visit the prisons.

So the first time, the leader was thinking the prison was fairly dangerous and definately unprovisioned, and imagined the hammer as something fluffy and padded.  The second punishment he was thinking roughly the opposite, with that hammer having spikes of hammers which themselves were spiked with hammer-spiked hammers, but the prison must be some unused bedroom somewhere back behind the drink stockpile.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:31:41 am »

Hmmyes, that does make some sense, in a odd dwarven way.

but the prison must be some unused bedroom somewhere back behind the drink stockpile.

That would describe my standard prison setup pretty well.

Code: [Select]
WWWWW   W=wall
Wtb1W   t=table
WcC1d   b=bed
W221d   c=chair
WWWWW   d=door
        C=chain
        1=drink stockpile
        2=prepared food stockpile

The drink and food stockpiles are always full, through chained take-from. This has the added benefit for prisoners, of a lot of opportunities to talk to fellow dwarves, that are coming to grab a drink.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:18:03 am »

That would describe my standard prison setup pretty well.
The drink and food stockpiles are always full, through chained take-from. This has the added benefit for prisoners, of a lot of opportunities to talk to fellow dwarves, that are coming to grab a drink.

Which, if the offended one happened to have walked past/thought of recently, would seem like less of a punishment than the average oubliette.... and thus lead to a far longer term.

"You'd never think paradise was a punishment... until they never, ever would let you leave.  Cake?  Used to love it.  Now?  I can't even stand the smell of the stuff.  For four years there was nothing to eat but cake, cupcakes, candies.  I thought I was gonna die..."
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:45:15 am »

I wonder if hammering sentences are random, or based on the offended noble's traits. My fort has had a few incidents with figurines traded and 70+ days sentences set, but those never had a hammering followed. Only times I've seen hammering + prison sentence was when a vampire was caught redhanded and sentenced for all the murders that had happened in the fort. A few hundred days in jail and a few hundred hammerstrikes(had to change the hammerer, when the vamp had survived 3/4 of the strikes, albeit terribly broken).

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 07:06:26 am »

(had to change the hammerer, when the vamp had survived 3/4 of the strikes, albeit terribly broken).

I drop a raised bridge on vampires. Cant stand them since the time one killed my legendary weapon/armorsmith.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 07:33:01 am »

Only universal dwarven law is:
"Seven dwarves enter.  No dwarves leave."
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: [1] 2