Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: A physics question  (Read 8998 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A physics question
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

Actually what all those particle accelerators do is accelerating stuff to very close to speed of light. Electrons were brought to 0.999999999988 c with relativistic effects of about 200000 times the electron mass. Accelerating farther proves to be exactly as difficult as predicted by Special Relativity. (And GPS system working with current precision proves General Relativity equations are correct at least to some initial degree. There are specialized experiments of course but "science at work" is hard to argue against.)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »

Easy to argue against, just hard to be correct against.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 03:28:02 pm »

Actually what all those particle accelerators do is accelerating stuff to very close to speed of light. Electrons were brought to 0.999999999988 c with relativistic effects of about 200000 times the electron mass. Accelerating farther proves to be exactly as difficult as predicted by Special Relativity. (And GPS system working with current precision proves General Relativity equations are correct at least to some initial degree. There are specialized experiments of course but "science at work" is hard to argue against.)
It's interesting to note that all older GPS sattelites are equiped with a switch to turn off said compensation. Apparently not everyone was sure if Eistein was right.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:46 pm »

...Apparently not everyone was sure if Eistein was right.
Thank you for underlining just what is great about the GPS argument.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

How fast would a falling object accelerate in a vacuum?
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

How fast would a falling object accelerate in a vacuum?
Depends on the gravitational force being applied to it. Which depends on the mass of the object that's drawing it in, the distance between them...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2012, 05:56:13 pm »

Specifically:

Acceleration due to gravity equals the Gravitational Constant G (6.674 * 10−11) times the Mass of the attracting object in kilograms divided by the square of the distance between you and the center of that object's mass in meters.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2012, 09:14:47 pm »

A slightly related question that I feel probably fits in best here: If velocity is all relative, how do we define C? If you have two objects moving away from each other at .8 c, how do we say that's different from one stationary object and one going 1.6 c? What's the frame of reference for relativistic effects of near light speed, in other words?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »

The speed of light is the same in all reference frames. If you see me traveling past you at .9c to the right and I turn on a flashlight and shine it to the right, you see the light traveling at c to the right (.1c faster than I'm going). From my point of view, the light from the flashlight is also traveling at c away from me. That's why the symbol for the speed of light is c, it's constant in all reference frames.

Let's look at your example. From your frame of reference, you observe yourself standing still, me traveling to the left at .8c, and my brother traveling to the right at .8c. However, in my frame of reference, I observe myself standing still, you traveling to the right at .8c, and my brother traveling to the right at .976c (not 1.6c). This is because relativisic velocities don't add together in the same way as lower speeds.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2012, 10:37:47 am »

Specifically:

Acceleration due to gravity equals the Gravitational Constant G (6.674 * 10−11) times the Mass of the attracting object in kilograms divided by the square of the distance between you and the center of that object's mass in meters.
Which might or might not be correct. There are some who say that at extremely low gravity strength, you only divide by the distance, instead of distance squared.

Link.

It's another explanation after Dark matter was found not to be where it was supposed to be.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:56:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2012, 10:49:52 am »

Herp Derp, didnt read the post above and made the same statement about MOND.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]