Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: A physics question  (Read 9004 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: A physics question
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 08:19:44 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 08:40:36 am »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 11:32:05 am »

I wonder if you could use Earth's gravity at the center to power a generator? Something like a gyroscope.
No.  Although there'd be a huge amount of geothermal energy available if you made a deep hole.
Leafsnails correct here. Earth's gravity can't be used as a generator because all it does is pull, meaning that any conversion of energy you do with gravity has no way of reversing the polarity to reset itself.

If you were looking to harness the planet's rotational energy, then the source you would want to tap into would be earth's magnetic field, which is caused by the molten core rotating.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:11 am »

And if you meant to harness energy by dropping something and having it push a turbine or something like that as it oscillates, then while you would get a fair amount of energy out of the deal (a maximum of about 30 megajoules of energy per kilogram dropped, ignoring efficiency considerations) the object would have less energy and thus rise less far each time it passed through the core, eventually coming to rest in the center (and clogging up your machine most likely) after the maximum energy is harvested.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 12:20:07 pm »

We can use the Moon's gravity for electricity generation.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »

We can use the Moon's gravity for electricity generation.
That's using the Moon's rotational energy. The gravity is just a way to convey the power to the water.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »

Specifically, the energy of the motion of the moon around the earth, as opposed to the motion of the moon itself spinning in place. Which it doesn't do, hence the whole 'dark side of the moon' thing.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 04:33:59 pm »

One more problem to consider in this equation is whether or not there is a terminal velocity in a vacuum. I believe terminal velocity is just when the object is held at a certain speed by the air resistance so it wouldn't be a problem in this scenario.

If I may quote myself
(this is assuming completely perfect circumstances)

But that's fine, you can see how many reasons you can find for this not being possible. I find them interesting.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 04:35:53 pm »

There is no terminal velocity in a (perfect) vacuum. Terminal velocity is when the acceleration and the drag from friction become equal. Zero drag = infinite terminal velocity.

In a fantasy environment with constant gravity, an object would speed up indefinitely and approach c.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »

One more problem to consider in this equation is whether or not there is a terminal velocity in a vacuum. I believe terminal velocity is just when the object is held at a certain speed by the air resistance so it wouldn't be a problem in this scenario.
Terminal velocity is based off air resistance. In a perfect vacuum the only limit you have on what speed you can go (assuming gentle acceleration) is the speed of light itself.

Edit: Dang Ninja!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »

Well, I wonder if you dropped the ball down the shaft if it would build enough momentum to shoot clear out the other side, achieve escape velocity?

Probably not.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 05:38:27 pm »

Well, I wonder if you dropped the ball down the shaft if it would build enough momentum to shoot clear out the other side, achieve escape velocity?

Probably not.
No it wouldn't.
It would peak at the equivalent height of where you dropped it from.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 05:46:30 pm »

"You can't create energy" is a good thing to remember when coming up with zany energy producing ideas.  You can certainly harness energy, but it has to come from somewhere.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 05:48:08 pm »

There is no terminal velocity in a (perfect) vacuum. Terminal velocity is when the acceleration and the drag from friction become equal. Zero drag = infinite terminal velocity.

In a fantasy environment with constant gravity, an object would speed up indefinitely and approach c.

Just making sure it's said, the force of gravity inside the earth is not constant, but instead decreases roughly with the cube of the distance from the center of the earth.

edit: sorry, correction: the force of gravity varies with the actual distance, not the cube. I forgot to divide by r^2...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:15:08 pm by TSTwizby »
Live bait.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 12:45:25 am »

Zero drag = infinite terminal velocity

I cannot remember the exact force that prevents this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5