Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: A physics question  (Read 9016 times)

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A physics question
« on: October 23, 2012, 06:00:53 pm »

Here is a question my younger brother and his friend came up with and it has been bugging me. Hypothetically, if we were to drill a tunnel through the center of the earth, right from one side to the other, and it was a vacuum. There's no air or particles of any kind in it. you drop an object from one side and it goes straight down through the hole. (this is assuming completely perfect circumstances) Would the object come to a rest in the center of the earth because of gravity, or would the lack of air resistance mean that it would oscillate endlessly? Think about it.

I don't know the answer, so I hope that some of you who know more about physics can help me out.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A physics question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »

It'll lose a bit of energy every oscillation so it'll eventualy come to rest.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:07:38 pm »

from what?
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:08:58 pm »

Assuming no loss of energy of any kind, that the Earth is a perfect sphere and its gravitational field is perfectly uniform, etc, it'll oscillate eternally. It will convert potential energy into kinetic energy until it passes the center, and then kinetic energy back into potential energy until it runs out of kinetic energy - at which point it falls back again.

EDIT: Also assuming that the Earth is immovable. I think that might be important.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:10:33 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:10:15 pm »

If there's no friction, it will oscillate endlessly. In reality, there's pretty much always friction, even in outer space (though a comparatively tiny amount to what's in a gas filled environment like Earth's surface), so it'll come to rest eventually.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

Pretty sure it'd just oscillate forever, ignoring the potential for the Earth to accelerate unexpectedly in rotation or speed, in which case it'd bounce against the walls until it came to a stop in the centre.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:13 pm »

The real question is, will the object that was dropped reach the same distance on the other side of the gravitational center as where it started.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:25 pm »

The real question is, will the object that was dropped reach the same distance on the other side of the gravitational center as where it started.
So long as the gravitational field is perfectly uniform, yes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

Yes. Such is the nature of the conservation of energy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:15:33 pm »

I'm leaning on it stabilizing over time, friction or not. The gravitational pulls would result in it losing momentum over time.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:19:40 pm »

I was going to say particles but;
or particles of any kind in it.
Reading comprehension fail.

But any loss of speed no matter how small will eventualy stop it.
If any particles or pieces come away from the object then you have something in the tunnel that could impact the object and slow it down.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »

Assuming perfect conditions (perfect vacuum, perfect gravitation, no acceleration to either object other than that of gravity) there would be no way for the system to stabilize. Of course, there's no way to get perfect conditions like that in the real world.
Nothing important here, move along.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »

somewhat relevant link
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

Assuming a Earth is a perfect sphere and there being no friction, the item would oscillate between the ends of the hole with a period of IIRC slightly more that an hour.

You can calculate this by using Newton's law of gravitation.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »

I read a book with this in it. It would oscillate endlessly, reaching the same point on both sides.
I think you have to make the Earth uniformly dense, as well.

And the book was on 4-dimensional spacetime, so it got more interesting once that was established.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5