Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556433 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10230 on: December 18, 2014, 06:08:44 am »

((I ran away from being kidnapped by gnomes and was almost eaten by spiders, but then other spiders entered my body and brought me to a magical spider lady))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: December 18, 2014, 07:34:07 am »

Well everyone has varied tales to tell of what happened to them

Marks will probably be I played in a tavern for a very long time

Or if by GM's decision he doesnt do that

I got stabbed by guards while fixing people they were too boring
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: December 21, 2014, 02:52:05 pm »

In the streets of Eckledun...

Scott not entirely unfoundedly believes that he could probably use a drink, and that such a small niggle as him being entirely unable to drink is not about to stop him. Surely enough threats and fire shall fix this much as they shall solve all other problems in his unlife in time. Happy thoughts of flaming destruction keeping him company, he looks around for the nearest fine place of extreme inebriation.

Fortunately for him, he needs not look far, for a place called Bill's Hideaway seems all too inviting from across the street - it has all he could possibly want aside from an actual wooden construction - instead it seems to be all worked stone and metal. There's plenty of drunks out front who look pickled enough that he could set them on fire with a mere glance, however, so he's holding out hope. Floating in through the front door like it wasn't even there, he finds himself in a fairly low-class joint, the kind of place he feels only a few regulars might miss if it were to suddenly explode, complete with a stone and metal bar seemingly made specifically to deflect any falling drunkards without a single scratch remaining on it. There's a rather fine-looking older woman with a glass eye standing behind the bar, looking less than thrilled that the patron ugliness record was just soundly broken beyond all belief with Scott's arrival. She rather politely says nothing as Scott moves toward the bar, only venturing to guess his purpose midway through his opening threat, which need not be repeated, but can be freely assumed to be rather ugly. Since she gets the point rather easily, Scott does not mind.

"You want a stiff drink, I'll freely assume."

She produces a carafe from one of the cupboards behind her. The liquid within glows a bright green.

"Here's what I got, then. You'll want the whole bottle, I'm guessing?"

When Scott bobs affirmatively, she places it in front of him. Scott, like the polite drunk he is, bobs forward into the bottle, phasing through the glass, whereupon the liquid within quickly gets absorbed into his ectoplasmic form.

[Scott's endurance roll: 5]

That did the trick, he thinks. So well and truly knackered he's never been in his life, let alone in the days of enforced sobriety death had brought him. He's even got the old quintuple-vision thing going. What a charming throwback to a more innocent time. So stone drunk is he, he wonders if he might have sustained a bit of brain damage from all that. After all, he's starting to worry about brain damage, which is already a marked departure from the list of psychoses and neuroses that compose his very being.

At the Mystery Forge...

Niklas needs victims, this much is clear. Not having a victim is worse than not having an audience, this much he knows.

"Are there any nearby? Aside from maid person there," he says, pointing at the vacant spot where the maid was a moment ago. She seems to have gotten the right idea at last. A shame. "Oh, and do you have a mirror so I can behold myself?"

"No on both counts, dear creature! But I am sure if you can move quietly enough, both will be within reach soon enough!" he explains, then runs over to the Mystery Forge, which he begins to climb.

At the Purging Crab...

Morton, having let good tailor Craig alone with good mage Lawrence for far too long already, focuses all of his narrowed will and strengthened resolve, to say nothing of superior knowledge, straight into the tea he has prepared, willing it to be the perfect temperature, intimately known to him like it is to no other, now and forever.

Interestingly, as he makes the effort of will needed to accomplish this, he finds it surprisingly easy to make reality do what he wants, and in his mind there can be only one explanation - clearly nature itself wants people to enjoy wonderful tea just as much as he does. The warm feeling this fact brings him is truly irreplaceable, he finds. This is good, since when he's done (and taken the necessary fifteen minute break afterward to get his faculties in order, naturally) there is absolutely nothing to indicate that he has done anything to the tea at all apart from its rather uniquely pleasing temperature.

In the wilderness of the deadliest of coasts...

Sigmund, ever the crafty sort, immediately starts working dark designs on the new arrival. First he checks the serial number of his soul, because how can one work dark designs without messing around with souls? They wouldn't be very dark in that event, would they? So, he quickly looks through his soul number, and finds it boring as usual, although he comes across a very interesting fact - something's changed there, a detail he hadn't noticed before while trying to look through the veritable hundreds of soul vessels his body is composed of. That detail happens to be a certain privilege, which is something Sigmund finds intriguing.

That privilege, or at least that's what it's termed, seems to be called the privilege of inseparability, with a timestamp saying that it's begun on 22114333.12899.557, whatever that might possibly mean.

Meanwhile, the body in the distance seems to be meandering around, not changing its location much, though its meandering is admittedly slowly taking it closer to Sigmund's pile of organs.

In the dining room of Ms. Klemm...

Kevin decides to eat up without protest, and do his very best to appear that he's enjoying the food. Fortunately, that's not a problem, since the food genuinely is rather delicious, or at least it tastes very nutritious. Has a bit of a dusty taste, but otherwise a very solid way to absorb all that vitally important goodness. Very filling, too, though Kevin's hungry enough to make very good progress on the food anyway, and soon manages to finish both pods at a markedly faster rate than Ms. Klemm.

"Hm, this is pretty good!" he comments.

"I know, right?" she replies with her mouth half-full. A moment passes as Kevin elects to wait until she swallows before asking the next question.

"Uh... so how do you tell these... uh... cuties... to do these things?"

"Oh, I cheat," she says, blushing a little and laughing to herself. "I used to try working with actual insects, because they're so very cute! But then I realized that they're a bit too... alien to train. No brain, just ganglia scattered across the body. Not much learning capacity in them, either. So I did the next best thing and made them very cute-looking, but on the inside they're pretty much above-average dog parts. Same for the spiders. I mean, there's only so much hard work you can put in just for squeeing value, am I right?"

She beckons a nearby ant thing, which does start to look distressingly like a six-legged, chitin-covered dog in its mannerisms as Kevin observes it more closely, to come closer, and it does, at which point she pets it. The ant thing appears to appreciate it.

"Anyway, want seconds?"

In the gutter of the dead...

["Medicine" roll: 6+1]

"I dunno, it doesn't seem like it'd be in the community's best interest to..."

Mark puts two fingers to the lady necromancer's mouth. She pauses a moment, taken aback by the effective certainty of the gesture. With his other hand, he lets the wonder of his creation speak for itself. It is a glorious invention, a thing of hollowed and hewn bone, precariously placed fingers, sinew strings and membranous drums, with small and stubby walking legs, about six of them, all six skinless and without a wasted bit of flesh on them. No torso to speak of - all has been filled with points of articulation most delicate, each part set up with exceptional timing, frequency and intensity in mind. It took three dead refugees (not murdered, mind you - Mark, reasonable chap that he is, realizes that it'd probably complicate the pitch overmuch if he'd killed them himself, and the note he presented to the lady had been complicated enough to explain already).

The smell of Mark's fingers hits the lady necromancers brain and she retches, drawing back. Mark tilts his head.

"Ugh, don't you ever wash those? Gods, man."

Mark takes a look at the nearby stream, a mere trickle now due to the several refugees falling into (or being thrown into, he supposes - a few of them didn't look drowned) a closed off part of the sewer the water was coming from. He'd tried washing with that, but it had an overly gunk-like consistency.

"Anyway, I don't see anything to transfer a soul from into that thing anyway. Do you even know how this works?" she asks. Mark rolls his eyes and points at the nearby refugee pile. Should be three good people in that.

"Wait, they're not dead?"

Mark passes her another note. This one details the system - the pile of three is the "barely breathing" pile, while the ravaged pile of what was formerly five others is the viable materials one. The seeping pile of three to six is the non-viable materials pile, probably extreme life magic failures (and not just minor ones like the others), and a little bit too spicy for this project. Took only a little bit of systematization, too!

"Okay..." she nods as she reads it. "I dunno. This seems a bit disrespectful."

Mark is prepared, and provides her with his last note, the note of justifications. It provides a multitude of reasons why this is totally a thing the lady necromancer should do, including the fact that these people are probably dead anyway, this is like a new lease on life, they are going to be providing the community a valuable service, and that she's a goddamn necromancer and he thinks these kinds of reservations are really something necromancer school ought to have stripped from her long ago. And really, it could turn out funny! There's no way this thing could be a threat, either, since this is one of the rare things he hasn't made with the express purpose of either enabling or facilitating criminal activity (he assumes fixing up his former companions all counts toward one of those two categories, and other things he hardly remembers).

Side note - the stationery he bought for all those tips he got from playing the flute before seems to have made his thoughts more presentable than ever, even with the unsavory smell of the rest of his being! Way more fun than speaking, and more menacing to boot!

"... uh, well... eh, fuck it. Let's give it a shot," the lady necromancer says, giving Mark back the note and turning to the barely breathing pile, keeping both it and Mark's creation in her view.

[Wilma's magic roll: 1]

She looks at the pile, concentrating upon its contents, and it stirs! Oh, how it stirs! Mostly it's one body that stirs - a young lady in the middle, pale and in very poor health, her body twitching, looking suddenly revitalized for some reason.

"Oh. Uh, whoops!" says the lady necromancer as the young woman starts to scream wildly and flail, as if in extreme agony. Quite a bit of life in her now, Mark notices. And such violence, too! With barely any effort she manages to shake off the fat old fellow atop her (placed deliberately on top, mind you - Mark understands the concept of the corpse paperweight very well) and immediately tries to get up, though this appears very difficult, as the several parts of her body appear to not be moving quite as concertedly as they should be. The fat fellow, to further the disappointment, looks to have died entirely, judging from the lack of breathing. The skinny middle-aged woman at the bottom, though, emits a low pained gasp as she can finally breathe at full efficiency once more.

"Dammit, I told you I'm an exorcist, not one of the undead types! Why'd I let you talk me into this?" the lady necromancer looks accusatorily at Mark, who seems to be wondering about three things. Firstly, whether there's anything he can do with the fascinatingly lively near-corpse flailing around in the near vicinity. Secondly, whether he could improve his current design, the One-Beast-Band, with materials from the dead fat fellow who just freed up his vast bulk. Thirdly, whether he should have planned a bit further ahead with his notes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:23:27 pm by Harry Baldman »

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: December 21, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »

Scott is pleased with the results of his attempts to escape his pains for a time

"If I recall correctly, jokes are a proper form of bar time etiquette...
Have you heard the one about the animate Desk, hell bound fashion guru, amalgamate demi-god and the quest to enslave the world and all magic?"

Upon reply: "HA! You are living it! The gods have abandoned you, give in to your loss and proffer all your mages ,sorcerers, alchemists and tricksters to the abandoned city in vain hope of being the last one to face the full fury of GUB and his wroth!"

One more drink! ((in the sunken Norwegian))

Life shall once again begin at death and all will wail, shriek and howl to the gibbering mass that is my lord and master!

All shall burn, crackle and pop under my gaze, wailing in unending life!

All shall drink and and drown in the profane brews of the Desk, their flesh forever waxen and preserved in the perverse broth!

All shall consort with demons and their eye for your clothing, form and soul. Eldritch madness will haunt your days!

WE ARE YOU FUTURE! SUFFER AND SERVE!

Fly erratically out the pub
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:17:53 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: December 21, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »

The desk makes the oddity that is his smile again, taking the brew gingerly and putting it in whatever flasks remain, counting them up. Hopefully he has four, enough for both good mage Justine, good sir Scott, good tailor Craig should he care for another flask so soon, and their new acquaintance. If there is any left in his pot, he'll bring it with him to give to the owner, should he wish any. Maybe he can use the tea to purchase a few more flasks from the good inn owner, should he have some?

Either way, his task done, the desk moves to return to the good tailor to see how they're doing in their discussion, and if he has the appropriate supplies, hands each of them a flask of tea, or if not offers it to them if they have available mugs/glasses from the pot, should any remain there. Count flasks, as said above

The next step of the plan would be to try and find good mage Justine, also good sir Scott so that he may share the joy that even nature wishes all to enjoy! Hopefully they're along the way to that other inn, that would be the next lead to look into before leaving the town.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: December 21, 2014, 04:50:10 pm »

I love what Mark has been up to

make a new note saying that the best thing for the woman is to try again as it can't get any worse for her if she does it properly this time throw her a party
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:43 am »

((It's harder than you think; playing a person of questionable sanity, with no concrete personal goals, motives or desires. Not that I am not enjoying the experience, but more of an explanation if any of my input irks some people. :/
I must be spending too much time in Scott's head, for I am getting paranoid that people will start to think that I am not serious about the character or the thread.))
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:40:48 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: December 22, 2014, 02:02:10 am »

I can be quiet.

Be quiet for a bit while Smithy does his stuff.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: December 22, 2014, 03:12:01 am »

((It's harder than you think; playing a person of questionable sanity, with no concrete personal goals, motives or desires. Not that I am not enjoying the experience, but more of an explanation if any of my input irks some people. :/
I must be spending too much time in Scott's head, for I am getting paranoid that people will start to think that I am not serious about the character or the thread.))

[I've been personally amused by what Scott does, dunno about the others. You're doing fine.]

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: December 22, 2014, 06:11:23 am »

Kevin pauses for a second. This lady is even more deranged than he had expected.
That said, he had dealt with people that had it much, much worse. One person, anyway.
"Sure!"

While eating, he comments,
"So, you're a mage, then?"

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: December 22, 2014, 06:28:09 am »

Sigmund wonders about his inseparability. Would it interfere with him trying to move his own souń? Maybe, but it would also mean that, if his new body is destroyed, he could always try again from his current vessel, right? Well, he hopes so.

((Let's see, this is serious stuff, so I will do it the old, somewhat safe way))

Concentration roll to transfer my soul into the bigger thing. The way to do it will be by changing the current soul of that vessel for Sigmund's, by replacing soul numbers.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: December 23, 2014, 04:22:31 pm »

In Bill's Hideaway...

Scott, quite pleased with his inebriated state, tries to lighten the mood a little in the way that only a floating kidney-shaped bit of ectoplasm can - through the noble art of observational comedy!

"If I recall correctly, jokes are a proper form of bar time etiquette... have you heard the one about the animate Desk, hell bound fashion guru, amalgamate demi-god and the quest to enslave the world and all magic?"

"Nope," says the bartender with a modicum of interest, serving a drink to a nearby patron.

"HA! You are living it! The gods have abandoned you, give in to your loss and proffer all your mages, sorcerers, alchemists and tricksters to the abandoned city in vain hope of being the last one to face the full fury of GUB and his wroth!"

"Gub's wroth, eh?" the bartender parrots, this time actually looking at Scott. "That's more interesting than the usual doom we get here, to your credit."

Feeling lucky, Scott asks for another drink, having drained the whole bottle already. The woman gives him a critical eye.

"I'll give you a shot. Not another bottle. That stuff's expensive," she says, and quickly pours him a shot. Scott drains that and, suitably inspired, launches into song as he starts to fly out of the pub. It's rather pleasing that the bartender does not appear to have had any intent of asking him for payment - she probably knows better than to badger a ghost for change.

"Life shall once again begin at death and all will wail, shriek and howl to the gibbering mass that is my lord and master!
All shall burn, crackle and pop under my gaze, wailing in unending life!
All shall drink and and drown in the profane brews of the Desk, their flesh forever waxen and preserved in the perverse broth!
All shall consort with demons and their eye for your clothing, form and soul. Eldritch madness will haunt your days!
WE ARE YOUR FUTURE! SUFFER AND SERVE!"

Nobody seems to mind as he leaves through one of the walls, finding himself in a different house. He briefly wonders why he came here, but then remembers that he's several drinks past having any sort of reason for things. He notes an odd thing - beyond suspecting that he's too inebriated to process further information about his immediate environment, he notices that he can't quite make sense of the room around him. Absolutely no object in it looks familiar enough for him to make good guesses as to what it might be and why it's here.

At the Purging Crab...

Morton, quite curious about what might have happened with Tailor Craig during his enchanting episode, floats over to the man, and is promptly quite puzzled when he finds the tailor alone. Passing him a bit of tea, Morton asks the fellow what's up. He takes a sip before replying.

"We had a charming conversation about his work, which seems to be something about advancing the agenda of pinkness, which seemed altogether nefarious, though I am certainly not one to judge. Naturally, the chap inquired about my work in turn, and seemed awfully interested in my makeover procedure, which I then proceeded to demonstrate to him outside in an alley. He has not returned yet, but I am sure he is not very far off," he explains.

In the gutter of the dead...

Mark is not unsympathetic to the lady's concerns, naturally. But certain objectives of his must take precedence, now and for the foreseeable future, in this case musical excellence. He quickly writes up an eloquent note stressing the need for improvement not through giving up on seemingly terrible ideas, but through improving on said terrible ideas until they lose what made them terrible in the first place! In this case, the way she clearly wasn't trying this last time (though clearly Mark puts it mo.re tactfully as realizing a hidden potential that may significantly increase her marketability in the current magical climate). The lady necromancer appears moved by his plea.

"I guess I see your point," she says, scratching her chin. "I did seem to transfer a soul there. It just went wrong somehow."

She looks at the flailing, twitching young woman trying to get away.

"Wait, I know! I think I transferred it to the wrong body! That has to be it!"

Excited, she splays her hands at the subject, looking at Mark's creation in the meantime.

[Wilma's magic roll: 2+1]

The woman stops flailing about and returns to heavy breathing - looks like she's not going to last very long like that, Mark thinks. Not that her life expectancy was terribly long anyway, so Mark's not worried. Mark's little One-Beast-Band, meanwhile, stirs! It moves! It lives! It's limbs start to move, and a few strings are immediately plucked, producing a chord. A good sign, if anything can truly be described as such!

It's a bit twitchy, granted, and looks barely alive, but technically it seems to have worked! That can only mean one thing - it's party time! This, however, brings up a few questions - aside from the lady necromancer, who else is invited? Beast-Band obviously is, and maybe the two people with both knees in the grave. It occurs to Mark that he doesn't really have any other acquaintances in this town, so he just writes up one invitation and hands it to the lady, who takes a look, and seems reasonably impressed.

"Oh! A party for me?"

Mark nods.

"It, uh, doesn't specify a place. And the time's put down as 'now'."

Mark nods again. She gets it!

Near the Mystery Forge...

"I can be quiet," Niklas lies shamelessly as he observes the smith climb to the top of the Mystery Forge, and is rather disappointed when he just sits down on the edge, looking rather excited. Two minutes pass. He appears to be swinging his legs to a rhythm Niklas finds difficult to identify.

"I am not going to make you any people or mirrors if that's what you were thinking," he points out after two more minutes elapse. "I was more insinuating that you skulk around and look for people and mirrors to victimize on your own, actually."

In Ms. Klemm's dining room...

Kevin can't say no to free food, so he just goes ahead and agrees to get seconds. With but a single gesture from Ms. Klemm, another two pods find his way to him, and he digs into these as well. These little peas and pineapple steak things, however, don't seem to be golden this time around, and they don't taste quite as good. Still delectable, however!

"So, you're a mage, then?" he attempts smalltalk.

"Kind of you to notice, Ms. Cooker," she replies. "Yes, I am indeed a mage. Does it honestly surprise you to find someone of my occupation this far underground? Past a certain threshold of survivability, I guarantee you that all you are likely to find are Circle representatives, really."

In the wilderness of Eckledun...

Sigmund, seeing no need to delay, sets his plan in motion, immediately trying to concentrate on changing the number of the soul the slightly distant creature's body is supposed to have.

[Sigmund's enchantment roll: 2]

It is, however, more difficult than it looks to achieve this, mostly because Sigmund keeps coming back to check his soul number, which he can't seem to manage to memorize in full. He can't really blame himself, to be honest. It is a very dull and long number.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: December 23, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »

((OH SHIT))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: December 23, 2014, 04:35:57 pm »

((OH SHIT))

((Specifically, what is the problem?))

Let's do this the indirect way:

Find a close peeble, then make it a focus that allows me to transfer a soul from one vessel to another, replacing the previous soul in said vessel.

If there is a souls-related bit to add the necessary clauses, do it there, if not just add them where it doesn't inerfere with anything.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: December 23, 2014, 05:20:51 pm »

Oh. You're very bad at insinuating.

Float out of the room, going back to my and Lifeboy's dorms I suppose. He's probably still there or something. Or is he here? Go find Lifeboy. Explain to any alarmed people that it's alright, I'm the Circle ambassador.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 719