Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556432 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #7680 on: November 10, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund examines what the rule about written instructions really means. He finds that it's not so much "written" as "symbolically conveyed", and an instruction can be any sort of indication that an action or inaction of some kind should be taken by the universe at large. He doesn't exactly see a loophole here, but the whole structure seems a bit flimsy when inspected very closely. He figures with a bit of unraveling he could cause a bit of a stir in the rules. Maybe he could unravel the larger rules by unraveling the smaller ones.

That is, if unraveling the knots was not expressly forbidden in all perpetuity by yet another rule. Still, his point might stand under certain circumstances.

On a different ship entirely...

As he watches the sailor leave, Scott has an idea. A parting gesture, so to speak. He doesn't quite manage to scratch out a legible message with his fingernails on the wood of the deck, but he does scratch it up a little bit. Unwilling to destroy his manicure further, Scott ventures to find the bloke on the roof, and finds him to still be pretending to work.

He doesn't seem to notice Scott, although he does pretend to work with great gusto, falsely wielding varied tools in a completely ineffectual manner and making a not inconsiderable amount of noise.

On the deck of the Second Shank...

After helping Kevin catch up on current events, Morton hoists him up and deposits him on his surface, then looks for Erin. She isn't in the kitchen or the den, so he checks at her door, knocking softly.

There is no immediate answer, although Morton can hear movement on the other side of the door - it sounds very much like footsteps.

In a kitchen of some kind...

Niklas, undeterred by the lack of any sort of pot, starts to dig a pit in the middle of the hall. He succeeds in scratching the wooden floor a little.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: November 10, 2013, 02:43:58 pm »

((Ok, I don't know where to begin))

Look at the rule that explains who Sigmund is.

EDIT: another action:

Go and grab the binding spellbook, then go again to the cargo hold and try to see what is special in its knots.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: November 10, 2013, 02:54:03 pm »

((You could always try yelling "OBJECTION!" or something.))
Kevin leaned over to the door and yelled:
"GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS, NIKLAS IS ABOUT TO DIE!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: November 10, 2013, 03:18:17 pm »

[Hahaha, brilliant. I fear for the side effects of a hung over mage.]

Morton was taken aback by the yelling, having been used to Kevin's silences for so long. "E-er, the situation is indeed dire, but I'm not sure if shouting is strictly necessary. She's probably suffering a terrible hangover from the alcohol the day prior, I fear." The desk relayed to Kevin, quietly so that Erin could not hear him however.

The desk coughed, now a mental reflex than any sort of biological need, and spoke after Kevin. Much quieter however, but making sure it is loud enough to be heard comfortably from beyond the door. "Apologies good mage Erin, but yes, the situation is indeed dire and we require your assistance as quick as you can prepare it. Chef Niklas has been reduced to molten slag in the streets and still lives, but I fear that may not be the case for long, however, if we do not remove him from the heat he has found himself in and repair his body most expediently."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: November 10, 2013, 04:02:44 pm »

Kevin turned to Morton and said:
"I hope she can get over a little hangover to save Niklas. We'll need everyone we can get on the Sea of Death."

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: November 10, 2013, 04:49:43 pm »

Niklas facepalms. He must be getting lucid! He knew what to do!

Go find a regular bowl and put the piledriver'd meat into it. Then go find saffron, whale bile, and chopped horse ass.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:10 pm »

Confront the blaggard on his spying and unskilled labour
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: November 11, 2013, 02:15:19 pm »

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund, unclear on what to do now, examines the definition of himself.

Apparently, Sigmund is the assigned self-name of the current vessel of Soul 55-137322-14456711-61119031-1345221885-909799155, and this soul possesses no privileges. That's rather straightforward, he guesses. With that out of the way, he quickly retrieves the book of bindings from the den, then returns to the cargo hold to take a look at it.

He can't really tell what's so special about it. Seems pretty generic as an object, though there is a certain lopsidedness to its knot.

At Erin's door...

Kevin, fully informed of the urgency of the matter, tries to inform Erin as well.

"GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS, NIKLAS IS ABOUT TO DIE!"

Morton is taken aback by such spectacular rudeness, naturally.

"E-er, the situation is indeed dire, but I'm not sure if shouting is strictly necessary. She's probably suffering a terrible hangover from the alcohol the day prior, I fear," he quietly explains to him, then coughs oddly, as there truly is no other way for a desk to cough.

"Apologies good mage Erin, but yes, the situation is indeed dire and we require your assistance as quick as you can prepare it. Chef Niklas has been reduced to molten slag in the streets and still lives, but I fear that may not be the case for long, however, if we do not remove him from the heat he has found himself in and repair his body most expediently."

A few moments pass, and the door opens, revealing a rather unimpressed-looking Erin, still wearing the rather stained robe she went to bed with, although it's quite a lot more rumpled now.

"What, repair him again? He got destroyed? He works fast, gotta admit."

She doesn't look too bad, really. A little drowsy, but hardly a wreck or anything.

"Give me a few minutes, will ya?"

In a kitchen...

Niklas, upon failing to dig a hole in the floor, looks around for a bowl. All the ones around here, though, are kept well away from him, it seems. Having failed at that, he looks for the primary spices of his special cuisine.

Sadly, though, there is no saffron at all. There's even a sign that states it is absolutely forbidden in this village on pain of death. There's a whole vat of whale bile in the middle of the hall, though. No horses or their asses in the vicinity, however. Well, one out of three isn't completely terrible.

At a building in the process of renovation...

Scott confronts the insidious blackguard/complete slacker on the roof.

"Sir! Yes, you right there, sir!" he points at the roof man, who looks back.

"Who, me?"

"Yes, you! I have it on good authority that you are nothing but a horrible spy and not a roof repair person at all, and I doubt that you can prove the opposite to me at all! Gods, man, do you even know how to repair a roof? I could do a better job than that, and I've never used a hammer for anything but pure jackassery my entire life!"

The man on the roof is surprised by the accusation, but then starts to look a bit angry.

"Of course I'm not doing a good job, you fool! I'm pretending to work rather than actually doing so, as you can see. Now shoo, before you blow my cover! My wife might pass by at any moment!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: November 11, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »

Well, at least the base is there.

Grab some whale bile and mashed spleen of goblin if they have any, and mix the meat into it in the bowl.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: November 11, 2013, 02:32:50 pm »

Compare the lopsidedness of the knot of the bindings book to the knot of the paper.

((Damn...)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: November 12, 2013, 09:31:53 am »

"Estrangement? How about you go confront her?"
*Shove*

If successful, Scott will feel accomplished in protecting his present interests, the ship and his master. He will stroll with dignity and grace back to said master's side.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: November 12, 2013, 09:40:46 am »

"Estrangement? How about you go confront her?"
*Shove*

If successful, Scott will feel accomplished in protecting his present interests, the ship and his master. He will stroll with dignity and grace back to said master's side.

You're not actually on the roof right now.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: November 12, 2013, 06:27:48 pm »

"Of course, good mage Erin, but please hurry as much as you can, I fear for chef Niklas' life. I do not believe they shall keep him on the streets for long." Morton complied with Erin, almost nodding but not with respect of his passenger.

Morton takes a respectful step away from Erin's door and awaits her, turning his attention to the crumpled mess atop of him, poor Kevin. "Good jester Kevin, would you kindly inform me as to what transpired in your trip to acquire some books? I checked both stores earlier, and I assume you unfortunately must of been to the one that was surrounded by quite the crowd. What caused such a travesty to befall you all? Where is good sir Sigmund and sir Scott?"

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: November 12, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »

Oh...
Then get me up there dammit! *shakes fist*

:p

Hmm...

Scott Will feign interest in the bastards plight,and put on a caring air as finds a way up the building..before carrying out what was ordained for him in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:59:44 am by Innsmothe »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: November 13, 2013, 02:00:48 am »

"Well, we tried stealing books but lacked money. Guards heard us breaking in, we killed some of them but we were arrested. Dunno what happened to the rest after that. Niklas left us before we were arrested. I got buried, dug up and had part of my arm cut off. That's the short version."

Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 719