Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 557602 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #5730 on: July 03, 2013, 04:02:33 am »

At Tailor Craig's traveling clothing enterprise...

Sigmund and Morton, persuaded by Tailor Craig's exalting of the Handbook's virtues, agree that it is certainly the reward worth utilizing.

"I don't know if you have decided yet, Morton, but I opt for the handbook, it will help us understand the nature of our new master."

"Indeed, I was thinking much the same, good Sir Sigmund. Although he does protest he isn't one but something akin however, it may be of aid for us indeed, or perhaps in any future dealings with demons. One can never predict what the future holds as they say, I wouldn't've thought I'd become a desk today this morning. Or an hour ago, really."

Morton then turns to face the tailor.

"Good Tailor Craig, you are most generous in your help of us, I thank you for that. If we're ever in the need for clothing and you're in the area, we'll be sure to look you up first."

"Yes, that would be wonderful. Send more test subjects my way as well - I feel I need to test the process some more," he says, handing Sigmund the Handbook of Demonic Conduct.

"By the way, I couldn't help but notice that you said you serve a demon already. Have you much experience in that sort of thing?"

Craig seems to have taken the hint. Yay!

In the home of a rather aggressive old man...

As the old man escapes through a window, Niklas, realizing that this is no ordinary old geezer he's dealing with, bravely beats a brave retreat!

[Niklas escape roll: 6-2]

He manages to do it surprisingly speedily, actually, heading out onto the street and slowly jogging back to the ship.

Suddenly, an arrow hits him in the back, penetrating through to the chest! Granted, it doesn't hurt much, but it also happens to be on fire. And now Niklas has an oil fire on his chest to deal with!

[Fire control roll: 6]

Fortunately, the rest of him is too damp and non-flammable to catch on proper fire, though! Whether this good luck will keep up, only time will tell.

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Kevin, having nothing better to do, goes off to explore the ship. He finds that there is an extremely well-shielded cargo hold, opulent crew quarters currently inhabited by the sleeping mages and the Artiste, and also a rather interesting-looking den, complete with unusual kitchen. The Captain seems to be in the den currently. Also, he finds a secret smuggling compartment! Two, in fact - one beneath the captain's quarters, one near the cargo hold.

Some of those places seem like reasonably decent hangouts, Kevin must say.

Back on deck, Scott, not really the wise and attentive sort, tries to rally the absent Kevin to combat the threat to dignity and safety that is Mark.

"Thank you, Kevin, please restrain Mark so I can kick him where it hurts... everywhere."

However, Mark, standing right next to Scott, is not quite as dense as the tree on his head might imply, and immediately takes up a defensive position! This doesn't really matter to Scott, though.

[Scott vs. Mark: 3 vs. 1+2+1+1]

As Scott aims a kick, Mark easily deflects it with his weapon. Obviously, Scott's martial artistry, though undeniably fearsome, is no match for a halberdier in a defensive position!

In the Tomb of Everything...

Darren, being the enterprising sort, ask of any traps worth worrying about.

"What type of traps are typically in there? Does it vary like the tombs?"

The girl nods enthusiastically.

"The traps are fun! The ghosts always change them up, though you won't have to worry about most - the specters rarely have traps that hurt other specters. Only the mage-ghosts and the Engineers are capable of such things, and they're usually too busy building their own devices, though you might find some if there's been a squabble. The less subtle, less magical ghosts usually try to drop the ceiling on you, set tripwires, that sort of thing - simple stuff, really. Stuff that can't harm you and stuff you can't activate. I usually step right over them and avoid those particular people - it's the Engineers that have things worth obtaining," she explains, pointing to the varied junk in the store.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: July 03, 2013, 04:07:54 am »

Scott will snort and once again prowl the streets for rumours of the mercenaries and the scamming bastards they were protecting.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: July 03, 2013, 04:13:16 am »

Niklas will break the arrow and drop and roll, scrubbing dirt all over himself to deter future fires.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: July 03, 2013, 05:22:12 am »

Mark watches the mad Scott walk away
then returns to his relaxing day of fishing and sacrificing souls to some floating lights.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: July 03, 2013, 05:47:43 am »

((You can;t fish without my harpoons :P))
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: July 03, 2013, 06:20:00 am »

They are still on the boat and they are mine if you attack me again confiscated for your safety  ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:04:23 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: July 03, 2013, 06:55:03 am »

Sigmund replied to the strange tailor:

-Actually, no, it's the first time this has ever happened to us. And, in his words, he is neither demon or god. He claims to be something  in the middle, not needing to follow the rules of any of them. We are soulbinded to him curently, so we have no other choice that to obey.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: July 03, 2013, 03:39:19 pm »

"It is indeed how good Sir Sigmund said, I was given a second chance by a necromancer but now I am bound to what I believe is a demon of some kind, although he denies such. A kind fellow from what I can tell however. We've not much experience with such though, so the book will surely help us hopefully." Morton chipped in.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: July 03, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott snorts demonstratively, going off to do something useful. Like, for instance, finding those scumbags that did all that robbing of honest undead like him and his buddies.

The town's quiet this morning. Too quiet. It's hiding something. Everybody knows something, but no one's talking. Wherever those guys went is a mystery... for now. But what if Scott asked real nice? Maybe then these lily-livered accomplices after the fact would finally let slip the sweet knowledge that Scott seeks.

Back on the more peaceful deck, though, Mark resumes his fishing after the troubling interlude with Scott.

[Fishing roll: 3]

Just one tiny fish. Time for a ritual.

[Ritual roll: 2]

Damn it, there's no bonfire anymore. Mark almost forgot, really.

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Niklas, noticing the fact that he's on fire, immediately breaks off the flaming arrow! He then drops and rolls, seeking to extinguish the fire!

[Fire extinguishing roll: 1]

Sadly, there is no dirt around! Only cobblestones, cobblestones as far as the eye can see! And the oil fire on his chest doesn't seem to be receptive to common extinguishing methods! In fact, his rolling seems to spread both the oil and the flames a bit.

[Fire control roll: 2]

It spreads something fierce, Niklas must say. Soon enough, his entire upper body seems to be burning! Particularly his bearskin cape!

He is then pierced by several arrows! Five, to be exact - most of them in not overly bothersome places, but one strikes like you wouldn't believe, straight in the spine! One other one misses him, hitting the stones around him loudly.

[Niklas endurance roll: 3]

Niklas seems to be losing feeling in his lower extremities! Oh dear! He also hears something like celebratory shouting coming from nearby.

Damn it, what is it with this city and its abundance of extremely violent, cruel citizens?

At Tailor Craig's traveling clothing enterprise...

Sigmund, figuring he might get even more use out of this guy, spills what he knows about his possibly demonic master.

"Actually, no, it's the first time this has ever happened to us. And, in his words, he is neither demon or god. He claims to be something  in the middle, not needing to follow the rules of any of them. We are soulbinded to him currently, so we have no other choice that to obey."

Morton confirms his compatriot's story, the air of a very well-informed witness about him.

"It is indeed how good Sir Sigmund said, I was given a second chance by a necromancer but now I am bound to what I believe is a demon of some kind, although he denies such. A kind fellow from what I can tell, however. We've not much experience with such though, so the book will surely help us, hopefully."

"Something between a god and a... what? That doesn't make any sense. What does he even look like? Would you mind if I went and spoke to him?"

Man, this guy takes hints like a champ. Some people could learn from him, Sigmund thinks.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: July 03, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »

Scott will go to a late night tavern and find someone who knows something, and get them to loosen their tongue.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: July 03, 2013, 05:09:42 pm »

((Innsmothe, be more specific. If not, your -2 penalty will make all your efforts futile))

Sigmund involuntarily let a faint smile be seen as he heard that. He answered to the extravagant tailor:

-Of course there wouldn't be any problem with you doing that. He is actually in a human body. Well, I have never seen it myself in another body, but the member of our group that has spent more time with him probably has. But I'm afraid that he must be sleeping now, so it would be better if we don't borher him now. Well, at least that is my opinion. Maybe, meanwhile, I can get another test subject for you.

Then he turned to the desk:

-What do you think, Morton?

((Plan: convince the lone guard from the book store into taking the test. Also convince him to take off his armor. Then I steal the armor and kick the crap out of him when he comes back.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: July 03, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »

((Innsmothe, be more specific. If not, your -2 penalty will make all your efforts futile))

He doesn't have a -2 penalty anymore - he got his stench removed by Erin. And soap.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: July 03, 2013, 05:17:30 pm »

((So it's plain bad luck, then. I thought that he still had it. Is he still able to infect people, then? Because that would be something bad in the long term for our group. Until now, Scott has been the most troublesome character of this bunch of undead))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: July 03, 2013, 05:22:53 pm »

((So it's plain bad luck, then. I thought that he still had it. Is he still able to infect people, then? Because that would be something bad in the long term for our group. Until now, Scott has been the most troublesome character of this bunch of undead))

That was removed with the stench in one fell swoop.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: July 03, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »

[Oh damn Niklas, the ninja, this is obviously the work of the ninja. Quick, utilize your native training in sea voyage and jump in the harbor to escape!]

"Hm... Yes, I suppose you're correct Good Sir Sigmund, he would probably be asleep by now. But yes, he is indeed inhabiting a human body although he mentions that it was a rather recent event however. Considered himself a..." The desk paused for a moment to try and recall the words Artiste used to define himself. "A... 'logisitics... person?' Quartermaster perhaps? Accountant? I can't quite recall his direct wording I'm afraid." The desk wobbled again in a certain way, an attempt at a shrug in a body where it was no longer possible. "If you wish to aid good tailor Craig, I will attempt to help you in your endeavor although I'm afraid I'm not sure what presentable aid I might be able to render beyond conversation."

[Sorry for the wait, was looking up the discussion Artiste had with Morton about what he was so I didn't accidentally use knowledge he wouldn't know.]
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 719