Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556779 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9840 on: June 27, 2014, 11:40:57 am »

((Quick question: is the blanket husband still alive/existent?  A little confused on that.))
((I assume at this point it was cut/rotted enough to free his soul.))
((if that had been what happened, you would all be dead at this point))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: June 27, 2014, 03:14:51 pm »

In the dark kingdom of the vilest of gnomes...

Sigmund begins to understand why these cave-dwelling individuals seems so intent on making such a damn racket - obviously, it's the echolocation potential! It's so simple! Now, echolocation is not a terribly easy thing to accomplish for somebody who isn't a bat - Sigmund, though people may be pardoned for making this mistake, dark as it currently is, is not, and to his knowledge has never been a bat. In addition, clicking one's tongue isn't really helpful in the dark when there's already a very solid background level of clicking as well as other noises present.

So Sigmund just does the reasonable thing and listens for the noises all these approaching schmucks are making, and rather easily extrapolates their very rough location from that. Standing defensively, he prepares to catch and bodyslam any gnome that makes a move!

[Grab: Gnome 1 vs. Sigmund: 3+1 vs. 4+1]

He grabs a particular nearby clacking presence, but finds its surface altogether too smooth and non-hairy to plausibly belong to any gnome he's ever heard of, and the surprise is enough to accidentally lose his grip.

[Grab: Gnome 2 vs. Sigmund: 3+1 vs. 3+1]

But he also doesn't let another gnome that makes a pass at him make a fool of him, either - he sends the creature packing with a good dose of blind flailing, his senses not sufficiently sharp to discern its exact location, but certainly enough to frighten off the subterranean equivalent of a day laborer.

[Grab: Gnome 3 vs. Sigmund: 4+1 vs. 3+1]

Rather troublingly, though, one of his arms is quickly seized by yet another gnome, and the feeling is one he does not enjoy particularly, as the grip of the creature is somewhat sharp and not very fleshy at all - furthermore, the creature begins to emit a squealing whistle as he tries to ward it off, and the attempt does not go very well at that.

[Grab: Gnome 4 vs. Sigmund: 2+1 vs. 1+1-1]

And in his distraction, he barely even notices as yet another gnome grabs and stretches out his other arm, sort of keeping him drawn out, only his legs sort of still free. All in all, this is going poorly already! Joy! And the whistling becomes louder and louder, more creatures pouring in from a great deal of directions, it seems.

In a dead end tunnel...

Kevin isn't entirely pleased by all this magic gnome bullshit going on.

"Fucking traitorous mages! Sneaky little gnomes!" he says, spitting into the vent. "Where the fuck did Sigmund go?"

Unfortunately, nobody sees fit to reply, though the vent does seem receptive to spit - it's been so long since Kevin's been able to spit properly. He'd almost forgotten its perks, honestly. Pettily amused, Kevin nods his head at the vent. That showed them.

Then the ground seemingly opens up beneath him, and Kevin emits but the shortest of yelps as he falls down into darkness, the ground closing up above him as he falls a short distance, landing into soft dirt that opens up again, allowing him to fall some more. This continues for a good eleven or so times before Kevin finally tumbles down to what feels like a pile of hay arranged atop a bed of solid rock - judging by the sound of dripping water, this is either a cave or some other subterranean hollow. And judging by the sound of clicking and clacking, and also whistling, gnomes seem to be around.

In the office of some guy...

Niklas is satisfied! Filled! Bursting with knowledge!

"All right! Let's go then! Hear that, Torkel and Tree Guy? We're going to go be bureaucratic spies!"

"Yay!"

"I feel ambivalent about this information!"

"Off you go, then," the wizard says, and suddenly the universe melts, and a superior one takes its place! One where both Niklas and Lifeboy seem to have found themselves in what is very obviously a magical laboratory - the two of them are standing next to a large stone pillar, and around them is a glowing enclosure of what may or may not be glass - it certainly is transparent, and there's a tall fellow with really messy hair and the face of a baby standing outside it, observing the two.

"Why have you come here?" the man asks as if several feet of glowing glass were not separating him from the two visitors.

Outside Castle Melville...

Morton, intrigued by this magical map, begins to plot out a route to Eckledun - it immediately becomes clear that to get there, they will need to trek through many miles of wilderness first - there is no nearby road to Eckledun, since there don't seem to be any villages on the coast of the Sea of Death for reasons that may be entirely understandable if one thinks about all the violent dolphins, cloud jellies, evil birds, property-unfriendly walruses and maybe even the gub-gub.

In addition, it is with great sadness that Morton discovers that the map, while very dynamic, is but an illusion - he cannot really touch it or mark anything upon it, as the map only becomes slightly disrupted wherever his desk-hands touch.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: June 28, 2014, 02:24:12 am »

Crawl away from the clicking and clacking until I'm up against a wall.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: June 28, 2014, 05:32:59 am »

I say we stay off the road, who knows what foulness now walks these trails.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: June 28, 2014, 09:45:15 am »

Damn, he is losing! There is no way he can win against so many!

Well, time to resort to other stuff, namely, magical stuff.

Relax my muscles, leave the gnomes handle me, so that they don't incurr in any kind of harmful conduct. Metaphysically examine the gnomes, try to discern the material they are made of and how do they see in the dark, for possible knot-copying purposes

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: June 28, 2014, 05:22:31 pm »

Niklas is momentarily excited, but conceals it behind a blank face.

Ambassadors from the Red Tower of Power, known more formally as...

Nudge Lifeboy to say the title since I never bothered to find out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: June 29, 2014, 06:42:01 am »

"Oh. Fabulous."
Darren looks around at the others.
"So, may I go and retrieve that artifact?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: June 29, 2014, 06:44:21 am »

"Oh. Fabulous."
Darren looks around at the others.
"So, may I go and retrieve that artifact?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Without a doubt, yes!" the female statue says. "But would you care to play the game with me afterwards?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: June 29, 2014, 05:09:36 pm »

Terribly sorry, beautiful individuals, but no turn today, either. Or for the next two weeks. But tell you what, if anybody has any OOC questions, ask freely and I will answer either in 8 hours or in 2 weeks. As long as it's not too spoilery.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: June 29, 2014, 05:27:10 pm »

Well, no questions here. I hope to see this back soonish!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: June 29, 2014, 09:48:10 pm »

What's the name of the Tower of Power?
How old is Lifeboy?
Are the voices in Niklas' head the actual people or just signs of his insanity?
Does that barbarian region I described to Torkel actually exist now that I have? Would I be able to go there, supposing I was allowed to by my new boss?
How much does Fat Candance weigh?
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: June 30, 2014, 12:40:36 am »

Have a nice holiday. (I presume.)
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:56 am »

Oh, and have a good absence, Harry!
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: June 30, 2014, 01:14:24 am »

Make sure to enjoy the two weeks!

Questions:
- What would Melville have said if pressed on what she was truly sad about? (Guessing this may be possibly plot-y though)
- How/what is the disposition of the various NPCs in the group to the various PCs?
- Will the talking ship make another appearance?
- How is the toymaker doing?
- What was up with the strange man trying to magically change Morton?
- Will we see the rubber dragon/wyvern again?
- What is the total damage of the fungal infestation left at old Yaleson Manor?
- Where did the guards that stole Niklas' knives and beat almost everyone up go?
- Exactly how horribly terrible at geography is Morton on a scale of "I believe the top of the world must be very hot, being so close to the sun so, it must be all desert," to "Oh, you won't find any forests here past the mountains, they block the humid wind and the rain it brings from the shores from reaching this far inland."

Turn:
"Hm... Yes, it seems that if we wish to reach Eckledun in any resemblance of a reasonable time, we may need to walk through the wilderness. I believe the travel will be most refreshing on both the mind and body to see nature so close! Its a shame we won't have any stopping points however." Morton agreed with Scott as he examined the map and tried to estimate how much time it might take them to reach Eckledun.

Should there be minimal complaint with heading there through the wilderness also, start off on their glorious quest for answers (and mages)!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:35:32 am by Xanmyral »

Nunzillor

« Reply #9854 on: June 30, 2014, 01:25:16 am »

I may not be a player, but as a reader I did have two questions.  Don't worry if you don't get to them.  I understand that players' questions take precedence.

1).  What happened to Bernie's sister?  Will she show her face again?
2).  Whipman showed superhuman levels of endurance, breaking his neck and limbs and still fighting admirably.  Is he a regular human whose prowess is attributable only to his good dice rolls?  Or is there an in-plot reason for his awesomeness?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:22:28 pm by Nunzillor »
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 719