Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556468 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9675 on: May 03, 2014, 04:08:22 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Morton fell silent as Scott and Melville discuss amongst themselves. It was one part mild shock, one part being politely quiet for the two, and a final part of pondering and planning. The desk can relent that perhaps a vampire can't drink tea due to it not being blood, but can one make tea from blood, replacing the water? Hm.

The butler's mind whirled as he considered the differences in steeping, how strong the blend of tea leaves and ingredients to balance with the taste of the blood, and what at what temperature would result in best consumption and steeping. It would be most certainly more difficult than with water, one isn't competing with another flavor for attention, and to make the tea too strong or too weak would be a true disservice. Morton can't really say what blood tastes like with any sort of confidence, and without a way to test the brew himself he's cautious of serving it to others. Keeping the blood from hardening would be another bother, and constant attention the desk doesn't doubt. Perhaps if he--...

Seeing as the two have finished their conversation, the desk squirreled away the thought for later and rejoined the conversation where she left it with him. "One never can say no to a pleasant conversation." The desk agreed, moving onto the next point. "A move to the dining hall would be most wonderful, and I thank you for the gracious hospitality. You're abode is quite colorful, and I've never seen a place such as this; I most certainly cannot turn down an opportunity to see more of it."

"As for the tea, there is nothing to forgive for there is nothing remiss, good lady Melville. If you desire, I could attempt to make a tea more suited to your tastes, but I'm afraid it would be an experimental venture on my part. But perhaps for later, I most certainly do not wish to impose. I'm afraid our knowledge of the surrounding affairs may be limited, due to being newcomers, but I believe the events in Mothdale might be the most interesting as of late. It has presumably gone under a rather dramatic shift and change as of late, from what we've seen."

Head to dining hall when directed/prompted, speak with Melville, leave tantalizing tidbit about Mothdale to inspire curiosity.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: May 03, 2014, 05:41:40 pm »

One his way Scott will discuss tea with Morton, flexing his ill used noble credentials.
"You know Morton, whilst most dullards believe the black and green teas are separate entities, they are actually the same plant. The black variety has just been pressed and heated until dry.
The green variety goes well with fruit juices and honey. I must say that the latter ingredient along with the tea is very effective at clearing the humors from the body at a time of illness...Pity we neither have bodies that can experience that sensation."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:47:29 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: May 04, 2014, 03:57:07 pm »

In the basement of the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas, after giving his cerebral cortex a bit of a workout, manages to retrieve the information he needs, and recalls that he does indeed seem to be looking for a room full of flasks with a loose magical brick that has divine goodies hidden beneath it! Awash with purpose, he strides down the hallway, kicking down each door he can see, and eventually one turns out to be open! Walking in, Niklas finds that it seems to be full of spiders, and, after apologizing profusely to the arachnids, moves along. The second go around at this goes much better - it does not take too long until another open door is found, and this one does seem to lead to a room full of flasks! Niklas runs right in and begins feeling up the walls, looking for a brick that is slightly more magical than the others.

Fortunately, said brick proves easy to find - it is the only one that responds to Niklas' incessant biting with humming in addition to the altogether more mundane hurting like a bitch and maybe chipping his teeth a little. With tooth and fingernail, Niklas manages to extract the brick without much effort at all, leaving a dark hole in the wall that not even he can see inside of.

"Ooh, secrets!" Lifeboy whispers enthusiastically. "You know what to do with a hole in the wall!"

Obviously, Niklas does, and plunges his hand right in, finding something fuzzy and more than slightly damp almost immediately - feels like plunging his hand into a great big hairy nostril, Niklas can say, drawing on his vast life experience. And then, in an entirely expected twist, Niklas feels a very powerful sensation of extreme pain as something seems to... bite him, maybe? A burning sensation begins to travel up the hand he plunged into the hole, and a shiver goes down his right arm. Nothing else yet, though. After a large quantity of nothing continues to happen, he pulls out his hand from the hole - nothing obviously wrong with it, though it does feel a bit weird now.

"Didja find anything?" Lifeboy asks, drooling slightly.

Outside a healer's tent in Eckledun...

Sigmund, after waxing strategical and expositional for a moment on the topic of the gub, decides to return to matters at hand.

"Well, our first priority should be to get in contact with the Black Circle somehow. If they are here, it shouldn't complicated, and we also have a contact inside the Circle. We have to know what is happening, or how to eventually deal with the Gub. And now that we have actually talked about this, we should find Mark before he kills somebody," he says, and tries to lead the party in search of good old Mark, only to stop at the first crossroads on the way. A moment passes, and a single bead of sweat runs down his temple as the paths homogenize and multiply before his very eyes. Sigmund begins to tremble and bites his lip a little.

"What's the matter?" Art asks as he regards his companion.

In the temple of Automaton Worship...

Darren, not quite sure what this is all about, draws a card and puts it to his forehead, and his friend does the same. The card is a strange thing, completely blank except for a single word - LOVE - written on it in plain black letters.

"See, friend, these are the cards of fate and aspiration. I can't see mine, and you can't see yours, but we can see each other's. We can't tell each other what the cards we see are, we can only give each other one of two pieces of advice - 'keep it' or 'drop it'. We draw cards five times in total, the deck gets shuffled for each draw, and only the ones we keep count at the end. To start off, I'd advise you to drop yours. Oh, and now that we've started the game, we need to do the whole five draws. So, got any advice for me?"

In the entrance hall of Castle Melville...

Morton is slightly disquieted by Lady Melville's sad physiological inability to process tea - it is a feeling all too familiar to Morton. Perhaps if he could make something like tea out of blood - it shouldn't make that much difference, should it? And Morton has already made steps in the field of exotic teas for the physiologically disadvantaged, so if anyone would be qualified to try uncovering recipes for delicious vi-tea, it would definitely be him. As he, in what is for the moment a purely theoretical exercise, begins to work out the logistics of preventing coagulation (leeches, perhaps, could come in handy) in beverages, he notices that Scott appears to be critically low on things to say, as evidenced by his attempts at smalltalk.

"You know Morton, whilst most dullards believe the black and green teas are separate entities, they are actually the same plant. The black variety has just been pressed and heated until dry. The green variety goes well with fruit juices and honey. I must say that the latter ingredient along with the tea is very effective at clearing the humors from the body at a time of illness... Pity we neither have bodies that can experience that sensation," he says, but Morton is hardly impressed, opting to speak with Lady Melville instead.

"One never can say no to a pleasant conversation. A move to the dining hall would be most wonderful, and I thank you for the gracious hospitality. Your abode is quite colorful, and I've never seen a place such as this; I most certainly cannot turn down an opportunity to see more of it."

"Well then, shall we go?" Lady Melville asks, and the others seem to agree. She leads them into a nearby hallway - the walk toward the dining room seems short indeed, though clearing some of the spiderwebs on the way takes a few moments.

"As for the tea, there is nothing to forgive for there is nothing remiss, good lady Melville. If you desire, I could attempt to make a tea more suited to your tastes, but I'm afraid it would be an experimental venture on my part. But perhaps for later, I most certainly do not wish to impose. I'm afraid our knowledge of the surrounding affairs may be limited, due to being newcomers, but I believe the events in Mothdale might be the most interesting as of late. It has presumably gone under a rather dramatic shift and change as of late, from what we've seen," Morton tells her on the way, and it is his last sentence in particular that seems to catch the lady's attention.

"A dramatic shift in Mothdale? Whatever could that be, pray tell? Mothdale's been much the same way for over a century now. Surely Jurgen's not up to any tricks, is he?" she asks, smiling as the group all walk into the dining room, which seems far, far cleaner than the hallway - Henry and a purple-robed, cowled maid of indiscernible features appear to have done quite the bang-up job in cleaning it up.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: May 04, 2014, 04:25:52 pm »

Sigmund turned away from the crossroads:

-I-I think that it would be better if someone else leads the way. I have to admit that my sense of orientation is unnaturally bad regarding towns.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: May 04, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »

Scott will scan the room for objects that he could possibly manipulate that are heavy, sharp or dense with a large surface area to impact enough ppi to kill at speed, he will also reason how flammable the room is as well as the number of exits.

((Doesn't hurt to be cautious))
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:58:40 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: May 04, 2014, 05:41:15 pm »

Naught but odd sensations! I may explode soon. I don't know.

Wait to see if I explode.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: May 04, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »

Mark gets side tracked and wanders looking around town for any thing interesting
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: May 05, 2014, 12:53:11 am »

"Sure, whatever."
Lead the way, search for Mark.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: May 05, 2014, 03:02:36 pm »

"... Keep it."
Drop the card.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: May 05, 2014, 07:48:04 pm »

"Its true I'm afraid, we just came from there. I must warn you that it isn't a joyful tale, although there is always hope." The desk pauses (slightly dramatically) to see if she wishes to prevent him from continuing, unsure if she wished to hear what is to come next. Should she not show signs for him to stop (he'd be rather surprised if she did however), he shall continue the sad-if-hopeful tale.

"I fear I cannot profess to know who sir Jurgen is, but I believe this may belay just how much change has befallen the quaint port town. Poor town looked truly appalling, to be honest, something truly dreadful must of happened there. Burned down buildings, melted holes in stone walls, few inhabitants, truly disheartening." Morton explained, turning softly to the left and right to mimic shaking one's head in sadness.

"We arrived at Mothdale just a few days ago if I'm recollecting correctly, en route to a further destination. When we landed we were hailed by a most strange character, or characters, I believe that may be more accurate. They welcomed us to what they called their city, informing us that they were called Gub. A peculiar entity, no doubt, trying to build up Mothdale back to its prior grandiose, beyond, even, from what they imply. I don't believe any of us have met them physically yet however, as they prefer to converse mentally. A mostly pleasant entity in my experience, although with a daunting task and, sadly, little experience I fear."

Morton finished explaining, giving a short and truthful (from his perspective at least) laconic. Moments like these he can't help but feel a sort of odd-yet-fond nostalgia for the days back in Camellia, sitting around the fir--Ah, best not be drawn too far into old memories at times like this.

Extoll the grand tale of Mothdale, await any possible (and probable if he did it right) questions.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: May 06, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

In the dining room of Castle Melville...

While the others speak, Scott takes a look around for things he could use to kill people with, because that's the natural thing any responsible guest does in the home of a generally kindly-seeming host. Unfortunately for him, though, there is little of that nature around - the chairs seem to be made of stone and inextricably attached to the ground, as does the table, and most of the other fixtures of the room seem the same way. There are quite a few flammable tapestries, however, and pretty much anything around him is an exit, considering that he is a ghost and all. For the others, though there are quite a few more conventional doors along both sides of the room - where most of them lead, though, Scott can only begin to guess.

"It's true, I'm afraid, we just came from there. I must warn you that it isn't a joyful tale, although there is always hope," Morton begins to tell Lady Melville in the meantime.

"Oh my. Now you must tell me," Lady Melville says, growing slightly agitated from the looks of it.

"I fear I cannot profess to know who sir Jurgen is, but I believe this may belay just how much change has befallen the quaint port town. Poor town looked truly appalling, to be honest, something truly dreadful must've happened there. Burned down buildings, melted holes in stone walls, few inhabitants, truly disheartening. We arrived at Mothdale just a few days ago if I'm recollecting correctly, en route to a further destination. When we landed we were hailed by a most strange character, or characters, I believe that may be more accurate. They welcomed us to what they called their city, informing us that they were called Gub. A peculiar entity, no doubt, trying to build up Mothdale back to its prior grandiose, beyond, even, from what they imply. I don't believe any of us have met them physically yet however, as they prefer to converse mentally. A mostly pleasant entity in my experience, although with a daunting task and, sadly, little experience I fear," Morton explains, noticing that the explanation appears to do little to assuage any fears that may be building inside his host.

"The... Gub? Do you mean the gub-gub?" she asks nervously. "And they're in control? Oh dear. What about the tower? The big tower? Anybody living inside of that?"

"None of its original inhabitants," Justine says laconically.

"Oh... dear," Lady Melville says, sitting down in a chair and placing her head in her hands. "This bodes very ill. Very ill indeed. Have the creatures of the sea overrun the strait, then?" she asks.

"Dolphins are certainly present in the city, milady," Tailor Craig mentions.

"What kind of dolphins are they?" she asks of the tailor.

"The kind that live in the Sea of Death," Justine says out of turn, looking very grim.

"It is all coming together, then. Jurgen is either dead or driven into hiding, then. It cannot be otherwise, if all of what you say has happened," Lady Melville says, staring at Justine now.

"It would be easier to say for sure if I knew who this Jurgen is."

"Jurgen Melville. Master of abjuration. Protector of Mothdale. And once upon a time, though technically even now, my husband as well," the lady of the manor explains, looking quite shaken.

"Oh, him. I am afraid he is very dead," Justine says with absolute certainty, and Lady Melville nods with a faintly disgusted look.

"I... suppose I thank you for the news, terrible though they may be," she says in a shallow-sounding voice.

In the basement of the Red Tower of Power...

"Naught but odd sensations! I may explode soon. I don't know," Niklas says, suspicious of biting things in the dark, as any proper Northerner should be. However, despite his buildup and the way Lifeboy holds his breath in preparation for the event, Niklas fails to explode.

"Aw," Lifeboy says after a while. "And I was getting hyped up, too."

In the streets of Eckledun...

Mark, forgetting himself for a moment, stops looking for traces of magic and instead tries to find something to keep his attention for a bit and distract him from the terrible stresses of undead life in a living body. He walks over to the market and takes a look around, and only a moment passes before a mustached fellow in a black robe approaches him.

"'Scuse me, sir, but you seem to be the enterprising, adventurous type. Am I correct in this assessment?" he asks in a strange accent.

Slightly outside Eckledun...

Kevin, obviously the only one with any sense of direction around here, leads his fellows to Mark, who is assuredly just around the corner.

Half an hour later, the group finds themselves in the middle of some thick undergrowth in the nearby forest. Kevin slowly begins to realize that they probably took a wrong turn someplace, and that maybe those skeletal-looking footprints they found might not be Mark's after all.

"Wait, I blanked out a moment. Where are we?" Art asks suddenly as Sigmund finally dares to open his eyes.

In the Temple of Automaton Worship...

Darren decides to heed his friend's advice and drop the card, watching as it fades out of his hand and probably reappears in the deck. The deck is shuffled again, and the two people draw their cards again, following the same procedure. This time, his friend seems to have drawn a card with "Non-Sequitur" written on it. His friend seems to regard Darren's new card with a bit of uncertainty.

"Eh... not so sure about yours this time. I'd guess... drop it?"

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: May 06, 2014, 03:05:35 pm »

-Nice. This was really useful from your part, Kevin. Should we just turn around and go back through the direction we came from?

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: May 06, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »

What are these Gub-Gub? A race of children? They act like such and can be talked to at such a level with positive outcomes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: May 06, 2014, 04:40:30 pm »

Well, now you get the pleasure of my company!

Examine own body, as well as trying to flex metaphysical senses. Did Patricia give me any powers or tentacles?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: May 06, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »

"Why yes I am good sir. What can I help you with today?" SIDE QUEST take
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 719