Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 557017 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #8490 on: January 20, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »

((IIRC Scott bumped Bernie off a dock and he drowned.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: January 20, 2014, 05:49:07 pm »

((It was frightening glorious and completely nonintentional.))
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: January 20, 2014, 06:20:22 pm »

((If it ever comes to my turn to be in it, i might need a bit of a summary just to get the important points.....

I sorta stopped reading at around 180 pages (with 50 posts per page......)

Especially how magic works (or is supposed to anyway)

By the way, whatever happened to Bernie's Sister?))

Nunzillor

« Reply #8493 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:03 pm »

Good question!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: January 20, 2014, 06:50:02 pm »

[Bernie had a sister? Wait, I think someone mentioned that before, that sounds vaguely familiar... Ah well.

On the topic of catching up, to be completely honest I've only read from where I signed Morton up and I believe I'm doing fairly well. May help that Morton is also the least homicidal of the bunch though.]

Travel Turn: Let's try the listening chant now! In the kitchen, of course, so as not to weird out or bother the others.

Also, inspect the ship for dirty places and clean them, should time provide!

Hm. Not quite the results the desk was hoping for, a dreadful pity really, just dreadful. But perhaps he should rest on the Single Thought chant, there is the listening chant to attempt after all, although what it does isn't certain. First, however, the desk wants a bit of fresh air and a bit of variety.

Perhaps a pleasant chat with good tailor Craig can alleviate such a want, assuming the friendly demonological fellow has the time.

Nunzillor

« Reply #8495 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:32 am »

She was basically his assistant.  She fixed up damaged minions and also was a handy source of virgin's blood.  She should be back at the mausoleum that served as Bernie's home.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: January 21, 2014, 02:00:25 am »

((As far as we know, magic works throughout loopholes in the universal laws. Focus creation is simply creating these loopholes through sheer willpower. These are recent discoveries, too.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: January 21, 2014, 01:39:46 pm »

In some kind of town...

Timothy realizes that this woman is in all likelihood beyond his help if she does not let go of her rather nasty disposition. He sighs.

"Aw, awrights, den, if you's not wants my help, I's leaves you alone. Dat's fine. Why's nobody ever wants my help, anyways? I be real helpfuls..."

The woman seems both surprised and mildly relieved. She slowly and unsurely takes a step, and, when nothing happens to her, speaks up confidently.

"Yes. Leave me!"

And with that, she sprints right out of the alley, disappearing around a corner. Wonder what her problem was? Oh well. Timothy just goes ahead and looks around the rest of the town. It seems to be somewhat atypical, he concludes. For one, the townspeople, while looking mostly harmless, have this look of nervousness and alertness about them. Also, there's a whole lot of guards present, and they never seem to be around in groups of less than three - one of which is apparently always a mage, judging from the markings on their armor (there seem to be four types 'MM', 'MH', 'EM' and 'LM', all in roughly equal quantities as far as Timothy can tell). Timothy wonders briefly about the increased security, but then he spots a poster that provides a potential reason - apparently, you're supposed to really watch out for pink stuff in this town for some reason, and seek a guard immediately if anything of that sort is spotted.

He also finds out the name of the town, which seems to be Blynn, judging from the poster, and familiarizes himself with the general layout of the place - landmarks of note are a fortified hill on which a fort that houses the town guard stands, a loose group of buildings in a less dense part of town that seem to house a variety of magical workshops (though they don't seem open to the public or commercial in nature, interestingly enough), a town hall that appears to have partially collapsed, a whole bunch of blocky, tall buildings grouped together near the workshop area, what must have been a market square that now holds only a rather high stone platform with ominous-looking stairs leading up to it and an adjacent, very lively establishment called Harlan's House of Hilarity and Harlotry, which is an awfully indicative as well as alliterative name, Timothy supposes. He also notices that most of the buildings that seem to have any activity happening within them appear to be quite new as well as somewhat alien in architecture - blocky, tall affairs with gently sloping roofs and very little regard for aesthetics, unlike the rest of the town. In addition, there appears to be an older wall surrounding the whole town, which is in a state of mild disrepair, and a newer inner compound that contains both most of the guards as well as most of the residents of the town.

All in all, Blynn appears to be strange place, that's for sure.

In the engineers' quarter of the City of the Dead...

Darren, guessing that he can't bring the lady to her customers in light of these circumstances, proposes an alternate solution.

"So... what if I went and found some customers for you? To pay off my debt?"

The woman thinks about the idea, evidently, her many eyes migrating along her face as she considers the offer.

"I... yes. Do so! I need more customers! Yes! I will be at my store," she quickly answers, then flies down the street, going back inside her store.

Perhaps a pleasant chat with good tailor Craig can alleviate such a want, assuming the friendly demonological fellow has the time.

Do you wish to initiate conversation? Hard to tell if you don't bold the action.

"*sniff* Marry... *sniff* Nuncle..."
Show those amateurs who the real jester is on this ship.

I assume that's what you want to do the entire day, yes?

-It seems that he wants to be near me, for some reason.

Don't go too far away from the paper, and do my stuff if possible.

~Do not be ridiculous. It is not and will never be a 'he' by any stretch of the imagination. Do not engage the focus in any way. Do not even think about it.~

Right, we need Xantalos in here. He seems to have posted, but left no action, regrettably.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:46:24 pm by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: January 21, 2014, 01:44:19 pm »

-Isn't there a probability of it becoming sentient for some reason? Erin made a knife sentient by mistake, couldn't the same thing happen to this piece of paper?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: January 21, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »

-Isn't there a probability of it becoming sentient for some reason? Erin made a knife sentient by mistake, couldn't the same thing happen to this piece of paper?

~Are you doubting me? I would not do that in your position.~

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: January 21, 2014, 01:55:21 pm »

Oh! One sec:

Niklas shall:
Sacrifice the feast to himself instead, since the gods aren't listening.
Steal all of Mark's fish and use them to cook more feasts which he will sacrifice to himself.
Obtain materials and build as many chairs as possible. Doesn't matter where the materials come from or what they are.
Spend time with Torkel/Helsvar if they aren't busy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: January 21, 2014, 02:02:08 pm »

~Are you doubting me? I would not do that in your position.~
-I'm just saying that I've seen stuff gain sentience when someone fails with magic. I won't risk geting myself exploded for it, so I will stay away from it if possible. But if it has happened before, it could happen again.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »

[Yeah, sorry for not being clear. Unless Craig seems busy, which he may well be, in that case talk to Evelyn.]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: January 22, 2014, 02:47:20 am »

Well, Timothy wasn't quite sure what was going on in this place, but he didn't like it one bit.
He also didn't like the idea of frightening someone and making those guards mad-- they had magick-y types with them after all, and in his experience they were awfully hard for a ghost to hide from. He figured it'd be best to make a good impression... He still needs directions, after all.

>Let's go telekinetically repair that outer wall! That'll make people like me, right?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: January 22, 2014, 07:09:46 am »

Traveling on the Second Shank across the Sea of Pleasant Winds, day two...

Mark, seeing that Erin appears to be having trouble getting sober, put the ring back on her finger and tried dialing it down - a maneuver which worked rather splendidly, sobering Erin up completely and instantly. She was very thankful for the favor, though her general business changed little, her schedule mostly consisting of hanging around and killing time. As she was once again in a useful condition, Mark then gave her a letter asking her to conjure up some fish bait. She gladly obliged, providing Mark with rather aromatic lures of many types to aid him in his quest. Glad at finally getting what he needed, Mark got back to his fishing. And once again, he met with quite a lot of luck - the fish seemed to enjoy the bait rather nicely, and Mark managed to improve yesterday's result by catching 19 fish, which he sacrificed with great gusto as he caught them. Eighteen souls left. He was making bank, that was for sure.

Scott, what with having spent the previous day studying shades, today tried to process this information and understand his capabilities. He did not make great headway in this respect, however. He believed that he could, in fact, use telekinesis, though his many attempts throughout that day seemed to say otherwise. That teleportation trick was also something he wished he could do, but sadly the nuances of the thing were beyond him as well. And with the Captain busy at all hours of the day, he couldn't think of anyone he could ask about this sort of thing, leading him to develop disturbing feelings of inferiority during the course of the day.

Kevin, still incredibly threatened by the idea that he might not be good at this jesting thing at all, resolved to utilize this day to make himself feel better. He was going to show these people who the real, professional, licensed jester here was. So he went around to each of the ship's residents, trying to cheer them up with a good joke. However, the reactions were regrettably quite negative. The Artiste did not seem amused about the joke with two elephants walking into a bank, Erin's reaction to what was, in Kevin's opinion, an absolutely amazing pun was simply a faint, almost apologetic smile, Art wasn't a very big fan of toilet humor, and most of the others seemed a bit too busy to pay attention to him. Even the shades, miserable and impressionable bastards that they were, didn't like any of his material, and he tried it on any that he could find, too. This served to only exacerbate his fear that he was not very funny currently, and possibly never was funny at all - after all, his poor taste in jokes was what got him executed in the first place. And he suspected he only got the royal jester job in the first place because the male line of his entire family as far back as his great-great-great-grandfather had all been court jesters of somewhat great renown, and not because he was any good himself. There was an existential crisis brewing up within Kevin, and he was certainly ill-equipped to deal with it, what with his newly realized lack of humor.

Sigmund, though not feeling terribly relaxed around the wantonly exploding piece of paper, tried to get his business done regardless. He tried to fix up as many foci as possible, spending long periods of time concentrating on the tasks at hand before that. Unfortunately, however, concentration wasn't going to happen, Sigmund realized, mostly due to the fact that there seemed to be a flaming piece of paper following him around that seemed to behave erratically whenever he tried to concentrate, interfering, menacingly rumbling and occasionally shrieking loudly just as he tried to focus. This meant that he did not manage to properly do anything that day, either, particularly when, at the end of the day, the paper started randomly emitting strange, pinkish beams of light that left pink trails on deck that seemed to undulate threateningly and pulse oddly. Just as Sigmund notices this, Evelyn addresses him once again, the voice in his head going ~The focus has become highly unstable. It will soon become increasingly dangerous.~

Morton, unaware of the magical tragedies unfolding on deck for most of the day, tried the Listening Chant next. He liked to listen, after all, and it could come in handy. And the chant proved rather easy to use, much simpler than the Single Thought Chant, he found. Chanting it repeatedly, Morton found the distraction of his own thoughts slowly decrease, allowing him to more acutely hear the surrounding area. And the longer he chanted, the less he felt his own presence on this world, his oneness with his surroundings increasing. He could hear very clearly a whole lot of things - the lamentations of the shades, the sound of pages in a book flipping, Mark performing beastly sacrifices to dark entities, Evelyn flapping her wings on occasion, Erin humming a tune, a strange twinkling that Morton supposes most likely belongs to Art, the structure of the ship occasionally groaning as a shade misjudges a telekinetic push, the Captain shouting out orders... he thought he can even hear occasional splashes coming from the sea, and the sound of wind blowing over the ship. After the effects of the chant, rather dramatic in a way, subsided in Morton's mind, he realized that he probably could not spend the entire day just listening - it would get quite dull, after all. So he got out his mop and started looking for dirt to bravely vanquish - over the course of the day, he managed to clean up the entire ship, rendering it quite spotless and earning a pat of approval from the Artiste at the end of the day. Happy about being a valuable member of the crew, Morton then decided to take a break and go chat up Tailor Craig - the fellow had moved over to the den some time previously, and seemed to be making use of the ship's vast amount of writing supplies to pen some kind of manuscript. Also in the den with him were Art, Erin and Justine, the latter hovering in the air in a pose that seemed to suggest she was meditating while the other two were making conversation between themselves, the tailor occasionally speaking up and adding some sort of detail - the main topic of conversation seemed to be the Aspect of Appeal, as well as other demons, and speculation about their abilities and spheres of interest.

Niklas resolute in sacrificing the feast to someone, sacrificed it to himself. However, a few minutes after clogging up his vocal apparatus with food, he realized that maybe there is no way to do such a thing effectively. It took him about an hour to clean out his packed pipes, during which he formulated a plan which, quite unfortunately, involved stealing from Mark of all people. Stealing his fish, to be exact, which proved to be shockingly easy as long as Niklas waited until after they were sacrificed. He even stole all of the fish from the previous day on top of that, and used his newly gained riches to cook more feasts - they did not involve much variety, being composed exclusively of fish, or, indeed, much preparation either, for northern cuisine frequently did not involve much preparation of various meats (it did, however, involve quite a bit of food poisoning for those with weaker stomachs), so the pile of fish parts at the end of the feast preparation was still a pile of fish parts, albeit a more appealingly organized one. Still faced with the impossibility of sacrificing it, though, Niklas opted not to stuff his chair face with the feast this time around, and instead moved on to the next activity - chair making. For this the fish and remaining other food came in handy, as the bones and tougher vegetables made for great materials to make chairs from, and soon Niklas had made an entire five chairs out of the entirety of the food available. They looked both good for sitting as well as quite appetizing, so Niklas thought his job was done for now, and decided to spend some time with his family again - hopefully they were not be busy today. He was sad to find out that Torkel was still absent, apparently having decided to extend his adventure by another day. Helsvar, though, was quite free, and they spent a nice evening catching up on old times, conversing and otherwise alleviating their general friendlessness. The experience was quite pleasing for Niklas, and helped him feel quite a bit less alone among strangers than usual.

In Blynn...

Timothy, hoping to endear himself to the populace of Blynn with random acts of kindness, heads into the less populated area or Blynn and tries to repair the outer wall - its sad state can't be good for providing the town with a sense of security, can it?

[Timothy's repair roll: 6]

Despite the wall missing great chunks in places, Timothy resolves to do his best anyway, utilizing dirt and bits of rubble to put the wall back into serviceable condition. After about six hours of work, he has reconstructed and repaired about a hundred meter stretch of wall. The entire length, however, is probably a few kilometers, though.

Maybe engineering is not the best way to endear himself to people. Hardly anyone seems to live outside of the inner wall, anyway - Timothy certainly hasn't seen any residents. And fixing this entire wall alone could take weeks - this wasn't even the worst part of the wall, just a good starting point. The task is daunting, to say the least.
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 719