Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556359 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #7695 on: November 13, 2013, 12:11:43 pm »

Next to a vat of whale bile...

Niklas attempts to grab some whale bile, but realizes two things. Firstly, he has no hands. Secondly, he's got nothing to keep the whale bile in. Thirdly, eww, though this is a very distant concern for anyone in the room. He also realizes that goblins don't actually exist, which makes their spleens rather rare, particularly in mashed form.

Man, there's nothing to cook with here! Such limitations from every direction, most unfortunate.

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund compares the lopsidedness of the book with the rather different knot of the piece of paper. This way, the differences are rather easy to spot. Or, to be exact, the single difference.

The difference lies in the "no magic" bit, as Sigmund may have already suspected, and it trails down to the part of written instructions. Namely, there's a clause added. It stipulates that the words within, if invoked by a particular soul deliberately, are an exception to the written instruction bit. It's a small difference, but it's clearly unbalanced the knot quite dramatically. It's quite interesting, actually. It seems like great care has been taken to balance the thing and prevent it from falling apart, in fact. Wonder what would happen if it wasn't secured in such a way.

At a house currently getting its roof redone...

Scott pours out some honeyed words at the man.

"I'm sorry, sir, but my ability to rightly give a rat's ass is lightly impaired by the distance. However, you have piqued my curiosity! I shall approach!"

Fortunately, the guy doesn't seem to be quite listening to him. Also, the house has a wall conveniently missing, so Scott goes right in and gets up to the roof, ready for a little face-to-face conversation. The man turns to him.

"Didn't I tell you to piss off already, you-"

[Shove: Scott vs. Fake Roof Guy: 2 vs. 1]

Scott gives the guy a shove, unbalancing just the tiniest bit.

[Fake Roof Guy's balance roll: 2]

Fortunately, it's quite enough to send him rolling off the roof immediately and falling to the ground two floors down.

[Fake Roof Guy's landing roll: 2]
[Fake Roof Guy's endurance roll: 5]

He falls right on his back, and there is an audible flop as he hits the ground, followed by several heinous and obscure curses as he gets up. Happy with the work he's done, Scott merrily walks downstairs and heads outside.

At this point, the guy, clearly pissed beyond the point of rationally discussing this, charges him with the hammer he had in his hand.

[Fake Roof Guy's charge roll: 6]

Quite pissed indeed, Scott would say about the guy.

[Fake Roof Guy vs. Scott: 5+2 vs. 3-1]

There is a flash of dark metal as he makes an enraged overhead swing at Scott, catching him right on the skull. There is an obnoxiously loud crack as the hammer impacts Scott's brain at a great speed, the crazed fake roof man getting the lucky shot of his life.

[Scott's will roll: 6]

Scott just shakes his head disapprovingly at the guy, who pales visibly after realizing what he's done just now, then leaves to find the Artiste, the hammer still embedded in his head. The fake roof guy then elects to make a run for it rather than investigate further or perhaps get his hammer back. Scott, satisfied with the impression made, walks on back to the ship at a dignified pace, finding the Artiste to still be conversing with Justine idly while sitting down on a barrel. The Artiste looks at him with mild distress, as if about to ask a question, then seemingly reconsiders, turning back to his pet diviner to talk about what sounds like gastronomy.

"... so you have to let it marinade for a while, then take it out and put it over the flame, but not for too long. Just enough to release the good stuff, which you collect. Then you stick it back into the stew and the whole thing happens again, your part included."

"Is that really all there is to it?"

"Yep. That's it."

"Huh."

Outside Erin's room...

Morton gives Erin permission to do whatever she needs to do, as long as it's quick.

"Of course, good mage Erin, but please hurry as much as you can, I fear for chef Niklas' life. I do not believe they shall keep him on the streets for long."

"Yeah, okay."

She closes the door, and there is a light wobbling sound as Morton converses with Kevin for a short moment, with Kevin explaining shortly why everything's turned to shit lately. It abates for a moment, then stops again. Moments later, Erin opens the door again, with her clothes looking a little cleaner.

"I'm ready. Where we goin' exactly?"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: November 13, 2013, 12:15:15 pm »

((Being undead has many advantages.))
"I dunno. Some street in this town. Morton can lead the way, I think. We gotta hurry, tough."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: November 13, 2013, 12:42:37 pm »

Analize all the things that have been done to balance the knot in the book, then rearrange the paper's knot in the same way, but change the specific soul that is an exception for Sigmund's one.

((We are one hammer richer! It gives no bonus, but may be useful to bypass armor.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: November 13, 2013, 12:55:02 pm »

Go find a regular sized bowl.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:01:43 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: November 13, 2013, 01:54:19 pm »

Darn, no dream meat then.
Scoop some whale bile up in the bowl and toss the meat in. Then get a stick and stir thoroughly.

You don't have a bowl.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: November 13, 2013, 03:00:25 pm »

((Editing...))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: November 13, 2013, 09:26:30 pm »

[Scott gets a hammer smashed so hard in his skull that it becomes embedded, general response is that we're now a hammer richer. This game, man, I love it.]

"He's over on Cooper Street, follow me posthaste please, I fear time may be limited." Morton called out to them as he hastened himself towards where Chef Niklas was as fast as he could, with respect to Kevin on him however so as he wouldn't fall off. While he's on the deck of the ship, he'll look around for Captain quickly, then call out for him. If he's found, he'll quickly ask for his help with Niklas, and to follow them, if not he'll hurry off so as not to waste too much time.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: November 13, 2013, 11:23:02 pm »

"You can... helps me get outta here?"

Timothy tilted his head at one of the beings before him, somewhat skeptical. They didn't strike him as any sort of super-magical pilot for a trip through the unknown... but then again, Timothy could hardly remember how he got here in the first place. Couldn't be too hard, right?

"Well... alrights, then! I'd really muchlikes to go back home. This place, uh, nice, but... it not really my scene, you knows?"

>Happily throw myself into whatever plan these non-creatures have to get me back to the real... well, real-er world.

>Try and remember just why I needed to go there in the first place.

((I am so sorry for being away from this for so long. I find it hard to keep up with, especially without easy access to a computer. :-S))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: November 14, 2013, 07:28:34 am »

Outside Erin's room...

Kevin and Morton give Erin all the information she needs.

"I dunno. Some street in this town. Morton can lead the way, I think. We gotta hurry, though."

"He's over on Cooper Street, follow me posthaste please, I fear time may be limited," Morton explains, then rushes off as quickly as a desk can, which is not very quickly at all, over to the deck, finding himself calling out to the Captain once more. The Captain does not deign to make an appearance, however. Morton figures that's that, then, and takes his entire group over to the site of the noble cook's hideous melting. The scar in the streets has cooled down a bit, though not enough to be considered even remotely safe. Nevertheless, some gawkers have gathered around the area regardless, watching the liquid parts of the street settle into a solid shape once more from a good distance.

"Whoa. They sure didn't mess around with him, did they? That's him in the middle there, right? The pile o' slag?"

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund takes a moment to analyze the exact principles of construction that resulted in the book he sees before him. He supposes he understands what he needs to do - presumably will the rules into existence over at the piece of paper. Probably not too difficult, he guesses.

[Sigmund's focus creation roll: 6]

His mind is put to work as it commences the reorganization of rules for the sheet of paper, adding the requisite rule at the end of the knot and watching the entire knot of the paper bend and twist for a moment before settling into a precarious shape. The paper softly hums for a moment before settling as well.

Were Sigmund a more optimistic sort, he would say that this has worked!

In a kitchen...

Niklas goes forth to search for more bowls. Looking outside, he finds only a cat, and a rather mean-looking cat at that. This is a cat that looks like it's survived wars, man.

It looks quite hungrily at him. Niklas isn't sure this is good.

In Undefined Space...

After a moment of considering the beings' offer, Timothy accepts.

"Well... alrights, then! I'd really muchlikes to go back home. This place, uh, nice, but... it not really my scene, you knows?"

"I know."

"We both-two know-understand! Let us help-aid!"

The two beings shift around for a moment, and Timothy suddenly hears a sucking sound from behind him. He turns to look, and notices a dark hole that leads into what looks like a bright, sunny realm of bright colors and accentuated tones. It smells really nice.

"Go in. Good things await."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: November 14, 2013, 09:49:30 am »

(Yay! Free hammer!)

Scott shall extract the tool from his brain and try to bandage up the worst of it using spare sailcloth.

"All visual threats have been dealt with, sir. Though I still advise to set sail quickly. Oooo, I might need to lay down"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: November 14, 2013, 09:56:26 am »

((Hey mates, how's the insanity?))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: November 14, 2013, 10:14:16 am »

((Hey mates, how's the insanity?))
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Action:

Now that he had a focus, Sigmund had to try it! But considering how unstable magic was, he had to make sure to not screw up.

Try to feel the air, concentrate on casting the spell

((Oh, god, I got a 6. I'm going to die in a horrible way.))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: November 14, 2013, 10:20:23 am »

(is there any particular sub section of magic you intend to apply yourself?)
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:30 am »

((I'm thinking about it. I want something that has multiple uses, and is different from the rest of the magic types we already have. Air magic could be used for many things, from travel to attacking, but I don't really like it. And while blood magic would be perfect for a vampire, it's not really useful))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: November 14, 2013, 11:56:37 am »

"I guess it is.", Kevin said, looking at the pile of slag in a way that was not unlike the way the other gawkers looked at it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 719