Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556335 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #7290 on: October 12, 2013, 11:46:39 am »

Hm, how curious. Good news? Morton is always up for hearing good news! The desk wonders what makes Art say 'uh oh' though, this man looks fairly harmless. After all, he only posed a question. Hm... Must be a city thing, the butler concludes.

"Good news? Hm... I have heard good news today, yes, but I'm always happy to hear more. The day's always brighter when one looks at the good things, isn't it? If you don't mind though, I have a question. Do you perhaps know where I can find Wallyn's bookstore? I believe some friends of mine might of headed that way and I'm trying to catch up."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: October 12, 2013, 01:33:12 pm »

MAGES

Being ambidextrochairus, flip over and use my arms as legs to run away.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: October 12, 2013, 02:36:34 pm »

On the deck of the Second Shank...

Scott, glad that the near-murder of his master is all water under the bridge, grabs Mark and looks for Craig around the area. Considering that he's not in the den, the cargo hold, on the deck and probably not in the kitchen, either, that just leaves a few possibilities. The likeliest of these is the late Bernie's room, which Scott invades without a second thought, finding it open.

Inside, he observes an interesting sight. The bed seems to have been tipped on its side, resting against a wall. Also, the entire room is completely covered in chalk drawings of varying complexity and continuity, circles within squares within parallelograms and more, strange shapes decorating every side of the room. Craig is in the middle of it all, currently drafting an important-looking circle on the floor. As Scott enters, he stands up and quickly shuffles his foot, interrupting several lines in the process as he turns to the visitor.

"Hello, didn't quite expect your arrival, sorry. Do you require anything?"

At Gunther Gunnarson's stall...

Sigmund, not having expected such a response from the blacksmith, asks what the deal is.

"And what exactly would be your method of fixing him?"

"And why will you charge another gold coin if it works?" Kevin immediately adds.

"I suppose both of those are valid questions. You see, judging by the way your friend seems to be freely rolling about on the ground with a mostly shattered internal structure, I'm guessing he's not alive in the conventional sense, just like the skeletal friend you asked about before, yes? From that, I can extrapolate that he's a construct of some kind, and that I'm probably able to do something about his condition - I do pride myself on being an all-purpose blacksmith, after all. And to survive in the smithing business, you have to have two, no, three things - tools, the will to improve... and experience. Truth be told, I really want to see what you're made of, starman. If you're some kind of new construct type, it's beneficial for me to get as much info on you as soon as possible, yes? In light of that, I suppose my offer was a little too steep. After all, I'd be gaining a whole lot more than you'd be. How about I shave off one gold from the price? Free if I only mutilate you pointlessly, and one gold if I fix you? You look like you could take the abuse in all likelihood, so you've got everything to gain, really."

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Morton believes that no good news should go unheard, and asks accordingly.

"Good news? Hm... I have heard good news today, yes, but I'm always happy to hear more. The day's always brighter when-"

"Velusius has shown his countenance to the blessed ones at the Mothdale Temple of Death's Mysteries, destroying an impertinent demon with a thought. The Demon of Hate was brought low by divine power, shattered in the Deathly Master's grasp as the primal power of change flowed through him. Those who saw the spectacle saw the five sigils of ultimate truth flash before their eyes shortly afterwards, easily seen yet hardly grasped. The faithful rejoiced, devoting the last five days to the Festival of Revelations, and now order is restored to the world. Rejoice, for we live in a golden age!"

"Not quite what I expected, I'll admit," Art notes, somewhat impressed, then shrugs. The man turns to Art, who shrinks back. "No offense, you know, it is really impressive," he adds right after, whereupon the man eyes him warily, turning back to Morton.

In evidently extreme danger...

Niklas, faced with impending extinction, tries to hoof it on his aerodynamic steel chair arms!

[Niklas' balance roll: 6]

Fortunately, he is entirely ambidextrochairous, which is a word that he didn't make up just now to describe an increasingly inhuman range of experience. He leaps to his hands, perfectly in balance, and tries to escape as quickly as reasonably possible.

[Niklas' escape vs. ?'s targeting: 2 vs. 5]

However, as this happens, Niklas' arms begin to rapidly heat up, the spikes beginning to grow softer on his steel hands. The sensation of steel bending is strange, and Niklas most certainly does not enjoy it.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: October 12, 2013, 02:41:19 pm »

Sigmund said:

-We don't carry money right now, but we will surely consider your offer, sir.

Head to the ship, same plan as before.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: October 12, 2013, 02:56:30 pm »

LO DÄR, SER JAG MIN FADER, LO, KAN JAG SE MIN MOR, MINA SYSTRAR OCH BRöDER, LO, SER JAG DEN LINJE AV MITT FOLK, TILLBAKA TILL BÖRJAN, LO, DE RINGA MIG, DE BID MIG TA MIN PLATS BLAND DEM, I SALAR DäR MODIGA KAN LEVA FÖR EVIGT. MEN JAG VILL INTE GÅ RIKTIGT ÄNNU HÅLL MIG BORTA FRÅN MIN INLAWS, GUDARNA FÖR SKÄRMNING OCH LIV!

Pray for gods of shielding and life to protect me, bravely run away.

((Well, here's hoping that I live through this. That mage owes me money.))
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:59:53 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: October 12, 2013, 03:10:20 pm »

Hm, the desk wasn't entirely happy that the man interrupted him but it must be important, things happen when excited after all.

Morton isn't exactly a religious man desk, but he's aware that the gods existed and understood that, however he doesn't exactly do much about that, himself not really being much of one for prayer or so such. But from the sounds of it, this is good news! He thinks.

Demon of Hate sounds familiar though, the desk thinks he read about that in the demonology book he has. He tries to recall things about the demon that might provide better perspective about the situation. He also tries to recall Velusius... Was that the one about beauty? No, no, he said something about death, it must be the god of death, right? Blast, he gets them mixed up sometimes if he isn't careful.

"Oh my, that does indeed sound like terrific news! A solid step to improving the world no doubt, thank you for sharing the good word! If you don't mind though, can you answer an unrelated question for me? I'm trying to locate some friends, do you perhaps know where I can find Wallyn's bookstore? I heard that they might of stopped at a bookstore here and I think that may be it."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: October 12, 2013, 03:16:20 pm »

((There is something good to bear in mind: they have a fire-mage. That means that they will try to fight the mushrooms with fire if they eventually try to take over the city with them.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: October 12, 2013, 03:17:15 pm »

((There is something good to bear in mind: they have a fire-mage. That means that they will try to fight the mushrooms with fire if they eventually try to take over the city with them.))
((And apparently a mage that can weaken structural bonds. NEED HALP))
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: October 12, 2013, 03:23:41 pm »

((And apparently a mage that can weaken structural bonds. NEED HALP))
((For what you have felt, there is:
-A necromancer, judging by how bad Niklas felt, without incurring in actual damage.
-A meta-mage, by how Niklas couldn't cast magic. Because the probability of two 1s in a row is of 2.78%.
-A fire-mage, by how your limbs were heated. Fire-mages do energy manpulation rather than just making fire))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: October 12, 2013, 03:33:59 pm »

[Man, I can't think of a way to help you. You don't know where the enemy is but they know where you are, and it's a mage so they could be a good distance away. If you could rocket lawn-chair them it might work but the chances of you seeing and firing a chair at them in time before the next assault... Isn't good. All I can suggest is to break line of sight, run into alleyways and stuff.]

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: October 12, 2013, 03:39:37 pm »

[Man, I can't think of a way to help you. You don't know where the enemy is but they know where you are, and it's a mage so they could be a good distance away. If you could rocket lawn-chair them it might work but the chances of you seeing and firing a chair at them in time before the next assault... Isn't good. All I can suggest is to break line of sight, run into alleyways and stuff.]
((This is good advice))

((Anyway, trying to do magic wouldn't hurt if you are able to cast it, or would make no effect, if there is something preventing you from casting it. The probabilities of three 1s in a row are of 0.46%))

((And this is the point where science becomes metagaming))

Nunzillor

« Reply #7301 on: October 12, 2013, 04:13:02 pm »

What about surrendering?  They said they just wanted to question you.  Of course, they could be lying.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: October 12, 2013, 04:17:02 pm »

[Well, they are. I mean, Niklas killed several guards. If that isn't an execution I don't know what is.]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: October 12, 2013, 06:52:39 pm »

((Well yeah. I can only hope my prayer to the gods goes well.))
Sig! Onol

Nunzillor

« Reply #7304 on: October 12, 2013, 07:26:51 pm »

Fair enough.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 719