Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556352 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #6315 on: August 03, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »

"I've been seeing far more harm than good however, but I suppose I can't say it hasn't been interesting." Morton commented, before a stray thought occurred to him. "Hm... Good Mage Erin, do you perhaps know what this is? I found it a while back, when Yaleson Manor was still the quaint wooden house that it was. It's an interesting little thing, I've found it quite useful in making campfires, although I've been curious as to what exactly it is. Would you perhaps know?" With that, Morton fishes out his lighter magical fire starter to show to Erin.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: August 03, 2013, 05:43:13 pm »

In the den of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Niklas, not having that much of an opinion presently, decides to petition the brightest present mind for advice.

"Hmm. Greater than both of us ... what do you think, Torkel?"

"I dunno. Never talked to anyone who was an actual god. I bet they're interesting people, though."

This brings up the question of the day in Niklas' mind.

"Honestly, I'm not sure how I even know you're there. I have no senses, and while sensory deprivation isn't new to me, I'm not sure of how I know you're with me. Hmm..."

"We're as in the dark as you are, Niklas. Maybe we share thoughts? Such a thing is not unheard of."

"Ooh, telepathy's cool! You think we're telepathic, mom?"

"I don't know, Torkel. Perhaps."

Niklas wonders if he's heard of something like this before. In a moment, he realizes that there is literally no situation in his culture that he knows of that approximates his status in any way. He guesses it makes sense, though.

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Kevin and Sigmund, glad about the agreeability of this town's law enforcement agencies, affirm their desire to go to the headquarters.

"Eh, alright then. Let's go, I guess."

"Yes, I think that we should make an appointment to see if Mark is there."

He officially addresses the guard next.

"Well, we will follow you, if it is not much of a bother."

"Very well - follow me, then."

He leads the two over to a rather interesting keep-like building, leading them past the gates and right into the headquarters themselves. They are immediately met by the sight of what looks like a desk with a severely old, extremely bald man sitting at it. His abnormally large, shock-white mustache twitches expressively as the two weirdos approach with the guard.

"Flamboyant lawbreakers?" he asks of the guard.

"No - they were wondering about an appointment. Tend to them, will you? I have a report to fill out," the guard explains, then promptly leaving on business, leaving the two under the watchful gaze of the man.

"What do you require of the offices of law, flamboyant not-yet-lawbreakers?" the man says after a moment's pause.

On the deck of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott feels that perhaps he could achieve the intellectual level of a trained ape, so he takes up the challenge of learning all this crazy nautical stuff.

"Train me to sail, then."

"CERTAINLY! You will make a MARVELOUS SEA APE, I am SURE OF IT! Now, let's BEGIN!"

The Captain assumes a dignified posture, but, seeing how this is the sea and all, immediately abandons it and just explains things like a reasonable person.

"So, FIRST OF ALL, you need to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you've RAISED THE DANG ANCHOR. Very important, that. The CAPSTAN'S OVER THERE," he says, pointing to a horizontal wheel-like device in a particular spot on deck. "You RAISE THE DANG ANCHOR with it! AMAZING, I know, but that's NOT REALLY VERY COMPLICATED. And when the ANCHOR'S RAISED, you can do MORE FUN THINGS. Like UNFURL THE SAILS!"

The Captain then instructs Scott on how to utilize the available rigging, how to work the sails, how to raise the gangplank, plus which side is port, which side is starboard, what the hell is an aft, where's the forecastle and more interesting stuff as well. A bit later, Scott feels that he's become a slightly more competent sailor, certainly a match for a trained ape in matters of competence if not brute strength and agility.

"Judging by the way you ANSWERED MY POST-ORIENTATION QUIZ, I'd say you are COMPETENT ENOUGH to be a LEADING SEAMAN! Then again, FEW AREN'T. ENJOY YOUR DISTINCTION, it is WELL-EARNED, despite the lack of a FUNNY HAT! Perhaps you can MAKE IT to PETTY OFFICER if you keep this up!"

Meanwhile, at the door to the captain's quarters, Erin and Morton both wait.

"I've been seeing far more harm than good however, but I suppose I can't say it hasn't been interesting."

However, before he can pursue this train of thought and possible pessimism further, it is suddenly derailed.

"Hm... good mage Erin, do you perhaps know what this is? I found it a while back, when Yaleson Manor was still the quaint wooden house that it was. It's an interesting little thing, I've found it quite useful in making campfires, although I've been curious as to what exactly it is. Would you perhaps know?" he asks, showing the magical lighter to Erin.

"Oh, it's a magical lighter. Simple thing, really. Makes fire magically - doesn't run out, either. Makes sparks and fire like nobody's business."

Suddenly, the door to the captain's quarters opens, and both Tailor Craig and the Artiste step out.

"-so, I suppose that concludes your tour. You're as familiar with the ship as I am, perhaps even more, depending on how much you paid attention."

"You've been most informative, sir," Tailor Craig says as they step out.

"Yes, well... oh dear, what is that smell? Did something die here?"

At Karina's home...

Darren supposes he has to go.

"Well, without that excuse, I guess I'll be leaving now. Hate to make a god angry after all. Maybe I'll see you later."

"I really hope you'll come back. You're kinda nice. Anyway, be safe, and don't trust anyone!" Karina says, waving after Darren as he leaves through the door opposite the entrance to the place.

He is rather intrigued when he finds himself in a rather large and oddly glowing cavern. What's even stranger is that this seems to be a rather large row of small houses he is in the middle of, with Karina's home rather snugly placed against the cavern wall. The row continues a ways in both directions, it seems. However, most houses in the row look dilapidated, only Karina's and the one right next to it haven't largely or entirely fallen apart. Which is a miracle in itself, considering that they're made of wood.

However, Darren's appreciation of this everyday miracle is interrupted by a stern, echoing voice.

"You! What the hell were you doing in that house? Explain yourself, NOW!"

Looking around, Darren finds it difficult to see its source, though there is something eerie about the darker corners of the area, and he's not entirely sure what exactly.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: August 03, 2013, 05:48:59 pm »

Having nothing better to do, Niklas attempts to make a clatter by moving around and bumping into things.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: August 03, 2013, 05:58:27 pm »

Sigmund told to the bald people:

-Greetings, gentlemen. We are looking for an aquaintance of us that may have been arrested recently, he is a tree-headed metal skeleton.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: August 04, 2013, 02:00:57 am »

"My friend here means insane construct, not aquaintance. It is hardly controllable without us, but it is very valuable and must be returned to us.", Kevin interrupted Sigmund.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:13 am »

Scott goes ridged and salutes the Artiste. A playful smile forming on his features.
"Magician of soul damning power on deck!"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: August 04, 2013, 07:51:15 am »

"My friend here means insane construct, not aquaintance. It is hardly controllable without us, but it is very valuable and must be returned to us.", Kevin interrupted Sigmund.
(Smart Idea)
Mark hearing the call decides subtlety is for idiots and breaks through the wall(Metal beats rock  :D
mabye ???)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: August 04, 2013, 08:06:35 am »

((We're at a completely different building.))

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: August 04, 2013, 09:15:31 am »

Sigmund added:

-Well, yes. I think that we can classify it as that.

((Saying that we own Mark is a very bad idea))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: August 04, 2013, 09:30:20 am »

((In my eyes it is not. And I always have my emergency skill if shit goes fanwards.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: August 04, 2013, 11:15:02 am »

"I thank you, good Mage Erin. Hm, guess there isn't really that much more to it then, a curious if very helpful piece." Morton comments as he stashes it again, then looks towards Artiste and Craig leaving the captain's room. "Ah, greetings good Master Artiste and good Tailor Craig, I trust things went well? I believe the smell to be something to do with the barrels, drinks that Sir Scott has purchased for our pleasure." Once again, Morton is rather thankful he can't smell. "Now, if you're not too busy, good Master Artiste, good Mage Erin and I would like to discuss something with you."

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: August 04, 2013, 11:51:26 am »

"Who, me?"
Of course me. Idiot.
"Talking. Nothing more."
Sadly.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: August 04, 2013, 01:25:32 pm »

In the den of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Since he cannot really perceive anything in any way aside from touch, Niklas decides to impact the world perhaps not the only, but certainly the best way he knows how. By rampaging through a perfectly civilized room, that's how!

[Rampaging roll: 6]

He makes a very violent clatter and ruckus, bumping into virtually everything in a rebellious fashion, messing up... something, he guesses, definitely upsetting a few chairs a little, if not more. However, he feels that he has bitten off a little more than he can chew when he tries to upturn the table. He manages to make it move a bit, but he falls over in the process! And with short legs like his, this is indeed a problem.

"Whatcha doin', dad?" Torkel asks as Niklas rests on the ground.

Niklas, though, is a bit lost in thought. There was a certain thing he noticed just now - when he touched the chairs, tried to move them from their spots, it felt strange. He feels a certain odd... kinship with his chair brothers and sisters, it seems, as unusual as the idea may be.

In the lobby of the HQ of the guards of Shriekpot...

Sigmund and Kevin decide to go out on a limb and pseudo-lie to the receptionist.

"Greetings, gentlemen. We are looking for an acquaintance of us that may have been arrested recently, he is a tree-headed metal skeleton."

"My friend here means insane construct, not acquaintance. It is hardly controllable without us, but it is very valuable and must be returned to us."

"Well, yes. I think that we can classify it as that."

"Oh, that thing? It'll get processed in the morning - the law office is closed already. It'll probably be penalized for thieving, then let go. So you just need to wait until such a moment - it'll be on our doorstep no later than tomorrow afternoon."

On the deck of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott, proud at his new status, hails his master as he approaches with a salute, becoming unusually ridged through some arcane contortion maneuver.

"Magician of soul-damning power on deck!"

"Now, isn't that cute? What's come over you, buddy? Normally you would be on fire and complaining about it or something by now. Glad you're turning over a new leaf, at any rate."

"You're a magician, Mr. Artiste?" Tailor Craig asks.

"Yes, actually - I warp space for a living. And go on naval expeditions, you see."

"Sounds reasonable, for a given value of the word."

Meanwhile, Morton halts his appreciation of the lighter to go and

"I thank you, good mage Erin. Hm, guess there isn't really that much more to it then, a curious if very helpful piece," he notes, moving toward the mystical duo on deck along with Erin.

"Ah, greetings good Master Artiste and good Tailor Craig, I trust things went well? I believe the smell to be something to do with the barrels, drinks that Sir Scott has purchased for our pleasure."

"Oh, is that so? Well, I suppose I'll have one in a moment, then. What about you, Craig?"

"Oh, no. I don't drink. Or eat, for that matter."

"Now, if you're not too busy, good Master Artiste, good Mage Erin and I would like to discuss something with you."

"Uh, yeah, it kinda concerns that chef guy."

"Oh, right! Him! Of course. How is he?"

"Still a chair, I guess?"

"Hopefully he's enjoying it, yes?"

"Erm... well... I don't think so, really."

"How so?"

"Well, he can't see, hear, taste or smell, so... well, uhm... ya see..."

Erin doesn't seem able to articulate this properly.

In a jail cell...

Mark, sensing that it's now or never, smashes into the wall once more.

[Strength roll: 3]

The wall doesn't give way yet, though. The sergeant, while waiting for the dismantling crew to arrive, goes and locks the door to the next cell as well. A moment later, four men with toolboxes and sledgehammers arrive.

"Guess I'll let you chaps in - that's the rebellious one right there."

He unlocks the cell door, and the four men rush right in. brandishing strange poles with what appear to be rings on top of them.

[Touch Attack: Dismantler 1 vs. Mark: 1+1 vs. 2+1]
[Touch Attack: Dismantler 2 vs. Mark: 1+1 vs. 6+1]

Mark manages to very successfully avoid getting his arms secured, grabbing one of the pole holders and pushing him away, causing him to lose balance!

[Dismantler 1 dodge roll: 1]

The dismantler spins away from the push, accidentally locking his ring around the face of the other pole-holder! Heh.

[Grapple: Dismantler 3 vs. Mark: 3+1 vs. 1+1]
[Grapple: Dismantler 4 vs. Mark: 3+1 vs. 6+1]
[Countergrapple: Mark vs. Dismantler 4: 3+1 vs. 6+1]

Meanwhile, the last two dismantlers try to salvage the situation by grabbing Mark by his limbs! One guy grabs hold of his right arm while the other manages to get within distance, but very nearly makes a fatal error in judgment when he almost ignores a grabbing motion on Mark's part. However, he backs away before he can be grabbed in turn, sizing up his adversary. The sergeant looks over at his fellows, then promptly closes and locks the cell door.

In the City of the Dead...

Darren, feeling rather vulnerable presently, asks the obvious.

"Who, me?"

He doesn't wait for a reply before continuing.

"Talking. Nothing more," he says, kind of regretful that if he is being persecuted right now, it's for something he didn't even do.

"Honest? No bullshit? If you bullshit me, I swear I'll... I'll do something drastic!"

He doesn't seem very convinced of this himself.

"I'll do it too, you know! Don't mess with me! Stay away from her, you hear?"

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: August 04, 2013, 01:54:23 pm »

Sigmund said to the bald people:

-I see. Well, we will be back here tomorrow, then.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: August 04, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »

"Hmpf. Alright."

Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 719