Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556263 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #6285 on: August 01, 2013, 04:32:08 pm »

"Best of luck Good Sir Sigmund and Good Jester Kevin." The desk wished his friends luck as they went off to find Mark. "Hm, good Mage Erin, I have to ask what did I miss during my sojourn away from the ship? Anything interesting, or changed? I admit that this is the first time I've stayed for a good bit on the ship after it got changed." Morton asked the transmuter, trying to both distract her from Scott and to make small talk to idle away the time.

[RESCINDED]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:04:24 pm by Xanmyral »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: August 01, 2013, 04:45:33 pm »

((Xanmyral, sorry to throw down your work, but Erin said that she didn't want to hear it from other sources than Craig. "I guess I'll ask 'im later, then. Seems like an amiable sort, that guy. No need to get secondhand info, y'know?"))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: August 01, 2013, 05:00:33 pm »

[Dang, didn't catch that part. I'll rescind that then. What I get for skimming his post.]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: August 01, 2013, 06:27:18 pm »

On the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Sigmund, tired of being coerced into trying suspicious booze, decides to look into the whole book situation. However, he needs a sidekick first. Ergo, he requires to voice his desire to leave!

"How odd, Mark hasn't arrived yet, should we go looking after him at the bookstore?"

"Oh, yeah. I wonder why he isn't back. I hope he didn't pull any stupid shit."

"That's the motive that actually concerns me. I wonder what had he tried to do, I actually gave him a coin to buy a book, so, with a bit of common sense, which is something he lacks, he should be already back here."

Scott, rather dissatisfied at the attitude of these schmucks, complains about his trouble even as Art passes him, filling up another mug, then returning to his former position.

"Dammit, I spent money on trying to get you idiots to calm down, stay on the ship and actually do something constructive to the masters plans!"

Nobody cares what he thinks, though.

"Are we going to look for him?"

"I think that we should do so. I followed him once to see what he was up to and he ended diving treehead-first into a well. It was odd."

This does actually give him a thought.

"Are there any psychological side-effects of transmuting?"

"There's the rush o' power, the sensation of alterin' the basic nature of things, the godlike thrill of bein' a user o' really powerful magic and- wait, ya mean for the subject, right? In that case, it probably depends on who ya transmute and under what circumstances. If it's unexpected or worse, unwanted, well... good luck. And fundamental changes to yer body, particularly if ya find them to be a turn for the worse, can be difficult to handle, I hear. Wouldn't be surprisin' if someone goes loopy because of it."

Sigmund nods and thanks Erin.

"Let's go, then."

"Best of luck, good Sir Sigmund and good Jester Kevin."The desk wished his friends luck as they went off to find Mark.

Sigmund goes along with Kevin, and they head over to Brenwicke's Books together. When they go in, they notice that the pile of mushrooms has been removed from the ground. Aw. Kevin walks over to the bookseller.

"Excuse me, would you happen to know the whereabouts of a metallic, skeletal vagabond with a rather conspicuous tree for a head?"

"Filthy thief. My guard - my only competent guard," he says, giving the six-armed guard a dirty look, "caught the bastard singlehandedly after he tried to make off with my entire collection on the Sea of Death - that whole shelf was worth over eighteen gold, you know. Tried to throw a gold coin at my face for it, too. Hope he has a good time in jail, the prick."

Well, that explains a lot, Kevin and Sigmund both guess.

Back on the ship, Morton nearly launches into a glorious tale, but then remembers that such a thing was never asked of him. Oh well. Maybe next time.

"Hm, good Mage Erin, I have to ask what did I miss during my sojourn away from the ship? Anything interesting, or changed? I admit that this is the first time I've stayed for a good bit on the ship after it got changed."

"Aside from the Niklas debacle, nothin' much has been happening around here. To be honest, we're all kinda itchin' to leave, but the Artiste says we gotta let ya sort out yer own business first. I gotta ask, though, what is it with ya guys and getting lost and maimed somewhere all the time?"

Good question. Could it be that the world simply distracts them from their tasks at best and actively seeks their second deaths at worst? Or is it actually their fault all this has happened in some contrived way?

In a jail cell...

Mark, seeing little better to do in here, takes a stroll down memory lane.

Man, it's still funny to him how much he could mess up that guy - well, not really a guy later on - that died. Him/her dying was kind of a shame. They were murder-buddies and all. Then there was that time he did, like, all the awesome stuff in the universe. Too bad that wasn't real. Then he got, like, enslaved by this ultrademon. That was a bit of a bummer. And he got covered in mushrooms, too. Those were hard to get off. But he also met lots of weirdos. Like that guy in the weird store, he was kind of cool, though his stuff was expensive. And then there was the time he wandered around a graveyard a lot, that was pretty funny. It's like somebody just forgot to pick him up for a week or so. And then he worshipped a god and didn't die, that was cool.

In the den of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Niklas, lacking any better outlets to exercise his odd feelings of the moment.

"I'm honestly not sure. I feel different, but I'm still a chair. What happened?"

"Maybe you're not actually a chair! Wouldn't that be cool?"

"Now, Torkel, he's still a chair. He said so himself. Look at him, even."

"Maybe he's a giant that looks like a chair!"

At Karina's home...

Darren realizes the true potential of this conversation.

"Well... we won't get anywhere talking about this here though."

He thinks a little.

"I could ask around in the village up there, but they won't know much... How do you mean the others are weird now?"

"You gotta see it to know what it is - they look at you differently, particularly when they think you're not looking. It creeps me out, really. It's like they are planning something, and they won't tell me what it is. I feel like I'm outside a particular circle, and that it's not the good kind of circle, like a knitting circle, but one of those dark muttering and animal sacrifice kinds of circles. Something's wrong with them, I can sense it."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: August 01, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »

Maybe if I ...

Empty mind again, concentrate on warping reality again, focusing on giving self a viking body.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: August 01, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »

Darren sat there for a moment,
"Well. I'll have to head through their area, right? To get the crown?"

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: August 01, 2013, 07:45:04 pm »

Sigmund cursed mentally the name of that tree-headed freak, and put a serious face as he spoke to the bookeeper:

-He really did so? Well, his actions were clearly improper, but I can say that they weren't unfounded. But how impolite of to not introduce myself first! I'm Sigmund, I and I am responsible for your guard's current appearance. As you would have noticed, both me and my partner went through the same process as him. But let's get to the point. See, I recently found in this city an aquaintance of mine, who happens to be a brave sailor. He gave me a bag with strange mushrooms he had collected during his last journey in the Sea of Death. The first thing I did was to contact an old acquaintance of me, that happened to be Doctor Mark, the tree-headed individual. We came here to investigate the nature of these mushrooms, but then, due to an unfortunate incident I dropped the bag holding the mushrooms and clumsily got ankle-deep in them. The sensation of pain was excruciating, and my partner had to take me back to a secure place. Meanwhile, I gave Doctor Mark a gold coin so that he could buy a book that had information about that mushroom. For what you told me, I can guess that he panicked and decided to grab all the books at the same time. I apologize in the name of him.

He then smiled and added:

-If you don't believe my story, you can see what those mushrooms did to my ankles, a mage had to fix them.

Sigmund then takes off one boot and wobbles his foot.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: August 01, 2013, 08:44:02 pm »

I still remember the time I shruged off getting launched through a building oh well time to get out
widen the crack
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: August 01, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »

Posting to watch, may end up joining later.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: August 02, 2013, 02:37:27 am »

Ask the captain how to prepare the ship for sailing.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: August 02, 2013, 04:15:23 am »

Kevin nods.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: August 02, 2013, 07:01:47 am »

In the den of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Niklas wonders what to do now. Figuring something must have gone wrong, he tries to empty his mind again.

[Meditation roll: 1]

Doesn't work, though. Previous time it was the result of long effort and a great amount of rage, plus a lot of chopping and shaking. It's not gonna be as simple as that this time.

He does ultimately feel pretty clueless, albeit different in some way. A subtle change has come over him, but he'll be damned if he knows what it is.

"Maybe you can do something now? Something weird like Kruub can. That would be amazing!"

"Torkel, you shouldn't disturb him. He's thinking, can't you see? Aren't you, Niklas?"

"Sorry, mom."

At Karina's home...

Darren suppose he'll have to deal with the crazies anyway if he wants the crown, and states as much.

"Well. I'll have to head through their area, right? To get the crown?"

"I don't know. I suppose - but you really should avoid them, and trust no one in there. They have terrible intentions in their crazed minds, I'm sure of it."

At Brenwicke's Books...

Sigmund, angry, yet not entirely surprised at how cocked up the operation was, tries to salvage the situation as Kevin nods along with him.

"He really did so? Well, his actions were clearly improper, but I can say that they weren't unfounded. But how impolite of me to not introduce myself first! I'm Sigmund, I and I am responsible for your guard's current appearance. As you would have noticed, both me and my partner went through the same process as him. But let's get to the point. See, I recently found in this city an acquaintance of mine, who happens to be a brave sailor. He gave me a bag with strange mushrooms he had collected during his last journey in the Sea of Death. The first thing I did was to contact an old acquaintance of me, that happened to be Doctor Mark, the tree-headed individual. We came here to investigate the nature of these mushrooms, but then, due to an unfortunate incident I dropped the bag holding the mushrooms and clumsily got ankle-deep in them. The sensation of pain was excruciating, and my partner had to take me back to a secure place. Meanwhile, I gave Doctor Mark a gold coin so that he could buy a book that had information about that mushroom. For what you told me, I can guess that he panicked and decided to grab all the books at the same time. I apologize in the name of him."

Sigmund smiles for a moment, then takes off his boot, showing his rubber foot to the bookseller.

"If you don't believe my story, you can see what those mushrooms did to my ankles, a mage had to fix them."

"Oh, I believe the mushroom bit - I became rather familiar with their properties when I had to call up a cleanup crew to get the things out of here and close up the store on a busy day, costing me quite a bit of money, all thanks to you three, as it turns out. And all for a bunch of mushrooms that this bookstore contains no information about - and I should know, having read most of the nonfiction in here, particularly my prized Sea of Death collection, which your good friend blatantly tried to steal in broad daylight. Your apologies are all fine and good, but until you can come up with compensation in the neighborhood of 6 gold, all three of you idiots are rather unwelcome in this store. Now, I would appreciate it if you were to leave and not return without the appropriate sum of money."

Well, he seems rather pissed. The six-armed guard seems to be keeping a close eye on them as well, looking none too pleased as well.

In a jail cell...

Mark goes about widening the crack on the wall.

[Strength roll: 6]

As he pounds at the wall, the crack widens and increases in size, and the wall looks a lot weaker now! On the other hand, the sergeant, who clearly heard this, is also rather dissatisfied.

"Guess we are forced to dismantle you, good sir. Saddening that it has to come to this."

He raises his voice, calling out to somewhere some distance away.

"We need a dismantling here!"

Mark hears something rustle far away, hurried steps moving about.

On the deck of the shrieking ship of Shriekpot...

Scott wonders how one would go about preparing this vessel for proper sailing of the seven seas. To find out, he goes to the cargo hold and asks the idling captain!

The bugger's not there, though. How unfortunate.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: August 02, 2013, 07:38:22 am »

"Alright then."
Kevin drags Sigmund outside and tells him:
"I guess we'll have to head to the prison, then?"

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: August 02, 2013, 07:52:07 am »

Sigmund told to Kevin:

-Yes, it seems like we will have to rescue him. I hope he has not made things worse.

Sigmund looks for the prison

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: August 02, 2013, 08:17:45 am »

Kevin helps Sigmund and drags him past crossroads if such would be neccesary.

Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 719