Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556294 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4560 on: May 09, 2013, 07:32:46 am »

Sigmund was now more intrigued that before. So, it was soul magic, and his soul was binded to that entity that called himself the Artiste. He thought about where to continu his research. The manual told him he nneeded a focus. Maybe he should investigate more about that.

Sigmund reads the book about focus selection.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: May 09, 2013, 08:58:53 am »

Morton nods. "Thank you Erin, it was a grand pleasure meeting you. I'll get set on finding some parchment for Kevin, then working on that tea." With that, Morton bowed out and tried to find some parchment and writing utensils for Kevin.

[Can't think of anything else to talk about, at least for now.]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21:03 am »

In the kitchen of the Artiste...

Niklas goes about the process of cooking this somewhat aged corpse, electing to create some nice brain soup.

[Culinary Dark Arts roll: 4+1]

First he seats the man carefully in an available chair, then equally carefully opens the skull, getting a pleasant scent of ripe brain from within. Removing the top of the skull, he takes a spoon and mashes up the brain rather nicely. He picks up some spices from a nearby spice rack and adds them in a rather liberal fashion. After all, if your meat's not necessarily top-quality, spices are your best friend! After the brain is nicely mashed up, he scoops it out of the skull, mashed brain stem and all, and places it all in a bowl. Now to let it sit for a while. But don't think that means the chef won't be doing anything! Oh no.

He opens up the man's chest cavity. It's a bit gas-filled already, but hey, some would call that a perk. Lets the organs stew in their own vapor and stuff. He slices all of the organs, making sure not to skip over the spleen, pancreas or even the thyroid by accident, and cubes them up into tiny bits, organizing bits of each in a pile. He then pan-fries each of them, adding crispy organ bits to the pureed brain in the bowl. Now, if he's got this right, he's got bits of everything in it. Good. Now for the final touches before heating.

The distressing chef adds a generous dollop of butter to the mixture. But wait, something's missing. Something important. He fishes in the pile of food, retrieving a handy bit of powder in a miraculously intact glass vial. Ah! Extract of moose! This changes everything! Niklas dabs a bit of it across the organ mixture, then carefully removes the eyes and lips of the man, arranging them on top of the whole thing in a jolly, happy fashion. Now to heat it all!

After about ten minutes, it's done! Brain Soup a la Niklas, ready to serve! He hands the bowl to the Artiste along with a clean spoon.

"Soup! Wonderful! Oh, and look, it even has a happy face on it. How nice."

He tastes the soup, which is a bit thicker than most roasts Niklas has made. He nods approvingly.

"You are quite good at this, I must say. Why, I might start habitually eating people now."

The master quickly wolfs down most of the soup, clearly enjoying himself.

"Okay, I really should stop now. I'm about as full as I can get, I think. Great stuff, minion, great stuff. You should really write these down somewhere, I think," he tells the chef, wiping his brain-stained mouth with a robe sleeve.

In a temple of Narcillicus...

Scott, silently fuming at the way he has been treated by the gods, goes to look for someplace he might be appreciated more.

Fortunately for him, there is a shrine to Pacitarius right here in the temple, slightly deeper within the building, along with the shrines of the other four gods, with Narcillicus' being the largest and most elaborate in this case. It's a pretty handy element in most temples - they mostly possess shrines to every god, even if they might not be obvious at first.

Deep inside a well...

Mark, momentarily held up by a lack of cracks in the walls, tries to do a back-supported wall-walk.

[Climbing roll: 1+1]

His legs are perfectly capable of running up the wall, he finds, but the main problem here is his back - with the whole tree head and such, it's a bit hard to maneuver upwards. So he just ends up in the water again.

In the entrance hall of the Artiste's home...

Sigmund, having found the facts within the book to his liking, looks at focus selection next, opening up Foci For Every Necromantic Need And Profane Purpose and taking a look at the options.

So, to make a long story short, there's spellbooks and then there's objects. Necromantic spellbooks are far, far easier to obtain than necromantic objects, though they are usually quite limited in what they can do, as each spell must take up at least a page, and spells have rather narrow uses and abilities, but necromancy has such a wide scope. That's why there are books of bindings, books of soulflaying and soulmending, books of spirit calling and eclectic mixtures of many necromantic techniques.

Objects are much greater in power and potential, though they have the unattractive disadvantages of being either prohibitively expensive or nigh-impossible to obtain. These are pretty much entirely dispensed by either demons or Velusius to mortals, and it is almost unheard of to obtain one any other way (though other gods should also be theoretically capable of providing such a focus). These extradimensional artifacts possess very considerable power, though you mostly have to obtain them from A) a demon or Velusius, who are likely to get your soul in the bargain or B) somebody who chose Option A and is now an extremely powerful necromancer with demonic connections.

It has been theorized by Joseph "Jolly Joe" Cunningham that perhaps an object that a demon is bound to (and there are indeed legends of such things) would make the perfect focus for necromancy, since demons (and gods) are the only beings in the universe known to possess a natural ability to manipulate souls, though the dangers of such an object (most notably that of an unpredictable nigh-omnipotent being connected to it) make such a focus of dubious use. Better just ask a demon to do something for you than look for crazy ones to enslave. Also, it is possible that some heretofore undiscovered element of the universe linked with soul transition (though such an element would be difficult to discover, as no information is available about the afterlife aside from minor observations about the soul exiting the material world) would also work for this purpose, though this is mere conjecture based on the, to be perfectly frank, rather absurd notion of harnessing the afterlife directly for a magical use.

By the time Sigmund is done with the book, dawn starts to break.

On the top floor of the Artiste's home...

Morton bows to Erin.

"Thank you, Erin, it was a grand pleasure meeting you. I'll get set on finding some parchment for Kevin, then working on that tea."

"Likewise, buddy, likewise. Good luck with that."

Morton politely moves away, searching for some paper around. Unfortunately, he can't even think of a place to look - there are alcoves where the mages sleep, there's the kitchen, there's Mark's parlor, now totally ruined by all the glass, and there is also some sort of storage space in the ground floor, though that's kind of empty.

In other news, the day seems to be starting. And there is a slight commotion from upstairs - sounds like the others are getting up.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: May 09, 2013, 10:27:44 am »

I'm just going to auto climbing out of the well
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:58 am »

Scott declares to Narcillicus:"Allow me to mold my body and the pestilence therein resides into a magical focus and you'll have anything you can desire from me and the land about!"

He prostrates himself before the altar

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:50:42 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: May 09, 2013, 11:06:21 am »

Morton sighs, having not found any paper, but then heads down to the kitchen. He's careful to avoid falling in the hole again, gives a nod to the pale man who's reading when he sees him, as he does as well when he sees Artiste and Niklas. "I'll be making tea soon, would you like some as well?" The burned butler zombie asked Artiste, waited for a reply, then attempting to head into the kitchen.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: May 09, 2013, 11:09:22 am »

After processing all the info from the soul-enslaving magic called Necromancy, he went to the Artiste and asked:

-Excuse me, as you bounded the souls of every undead and mage in this house to yourself, may I ask you what kind of being are you? I'm a bit concerned about the fact that if you die, all of us will. But, in the other hand, as it seems that you are not human, I'm curious about what would mean "death" for you. Do you actually have a soul?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: May 09, 2013, 12:09:03 pm »

In a deep and rather inescapable well...

Mark tries to think of some way to get out of this mess.

Sadly, his originality is all tuckered out, and he can do nothing but slowly sink into the well despondently. Oh, woe.

In a shrine room of some kind...

Scott shuffles over to the large altar of Narcillicus and invokes the Beautiful God.

"Allow me to mold my body and the pestilence therein resides into a magical focus and you'll have anything you can desire from me and the land about!"

There is a short whistle in his head that feels as though a slight breeze went through it. It stops for a short moment, then resumes, then stops, then resumes. It continues to do this at regular, yet short intervals.

In the home of the Artiste...

Morton, realizing that Kevin isn't likely to be able to communicate with the means available, heads to the kitchen, stopping by the content-looking Artiste on the way.

"I'll be making tea soon, would you like some as well?" he asks his master.

"Oh, sure. Serve some up for everyone. Well, everyone living at least."

Ah. Well then. Morton heads inside the kitchen. He is somewhat put off by the sight of the butchered remains of both a horse and a gutted, somewhat decomposed human cadaver lying around, food strewn everywhere. My, this place is literally a bloody mess.

Meanwhile, Sigmund, putting down his fascinating literature, steps over to the Artiste.

"Excuse me, as you bounded the souls of every undead and mage in this house to yourself, may I ask you what kind of being are you? I'm a bit concerned about the fact that if you die, all of us will."

The Artiste chuckles merrily, an errant bit of brain loosening itself from his teeth.

"You should be concerned, dear fellow! It would be highly unpleasant for you should my body ever be destroyed, as I would then be removed from this realm and placed... back home, shall we say. Then again, it might not make all that much difference for you, depending on some factors. And you are quite correct in the assumption that I am not quite human. You see, I'm kind of like a god or a demon, except not, though it's largely a difference in duties and principles. Consider me a demon, except I don't answer to the gods. That's close enough, really."

"But, since you are not human, I'm curious about what would mean "death" for you. Do you actually have a soul?"

"Well, no. Not really. Only mortals have souls. It's why they're mortals. As in, they can die. I am who I am, though you could say that my form actually sort of resembles that of a soul. The resemblance, however, is superficial."

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: May 09, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »

"..." Morton looked at the mess, then he pulled out the dusting rag he has stashed in his livery, then back at the mess. He sighs, then puts the rag back. "Oh dear... Such a mess. Seems Niklas has been busy."

Morton searches the kitchen for the flint and steel used to make the fires and then leaves, not considering it sanitary enough for proper tea making, and goes outside, an obviously much more sanitary place.

From there, he'll see if the woodpile survive the changing of the quaint and cozy manor, and if so sets about finding stones to make a circle for the fire, as well as a large, flat stone. Once the stone circle is laid, logs in the middle, he'll grab some dried grass and set it on the logs. Using the flint and steel, he tries to start the fire. Once its at a good roar, with the help of a few pokes from the fire poker, he'll try to carefully set the flat rock on the fire to get it good and hot, as well as hopefully die the fire down a bit. If it isn't died down enough, he'll kick some dirt into the parts of the fire that is at its largest, but trying to avoid getting any on the rock and coals.

Once that's settled, he'll set the pot from his backpack on now hopefully hot flat rock, as well as pour the good spring water in it and sets about making some wonderful tea, using the dusting rag as a preventative of getting burned by touching the pot. "Oh the pains of making good tea, it is always worth it in the end."

[Chances of setting forest on fire: 2/6; Chance of setting self on fire: 3/6. I'll take those odds.]

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: May 09, 2013, 01:01:43 pm »

The expression in Sigmund's face became sadder. This being was no mortal, so he should be bounded to him for his whole (un)life! Trying to maintain the calm, he asked the Artiste:

-Does that mean tham I'm forced to serve you for my whole existence? Even after the death of any of us?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: May 09, 2013, 01:22:25 pm »

Kevin, getting a bit annoyed by not doing anything, prepares for yet another hilarious peformance to make everyone laugh at the morning tea-time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: May 09, 2013, 01:26:13 pm »

Always good to have an appreciator of good food!

He listens to the conversation about souls and such.

Speaking of which, do you know magic? I've been thinking of becoming a cleaver mage.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: May 09, 2013, 01:36:10 pm »

After Niklas asked,Sigmund realized that not every kind of magic tortured the essence of the beings it manipulated. He used that situation to exteriorize his interest in magic:

-Tell me that not every kind of magic gets it's power from torturing souls. If so, I'm interested too. Also, I see that in this team there is currently an excess of that kind of magic. I would like to become a mage if I'm ever able to do so, but I don't know how dangerous can magic be for the caster. Is it really a big trouble?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: May 09, 2013, 01:39:28 pm »

I had a shaman in a village I lived in once. He was more crazy than me. Used hair magic, so he had hair that was over 40 feet long. I asked him once why he used hair magic and he said that the hair was his 'focus' or something like that. He really liked his hair. I realy like my cleaver. I think we can make this work.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: May 09, 2013, 01:43:32 pm »

Sigmund, surprised, added:

-I think I could not imagine how could it be a normal day your village. And I think that I don't want to know either.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 719