Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556323 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4545 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:22 am »

[@Tomcost: Why not take the book dealing with the city of dreams?

@Xantalos: Isn't that dead rider by the road? Although he's been there for a few hours now...]

Morton nodded along once more, listening to the glorious exposition. "I see... Oh, that does remind me. Where are we heading exactly? I never did get that information, although it doesn't matter for the deal. Also, was that what he did when I felt odd? Felt like I drank bad tea, then a compulsion to follow what he says..." Morton ponders on this, before shrugging. "Either way, so you all are mages? Interesting, I've never met one when I lived honestly, always heard strange things about them. Its nice to meet some all the same, specially nice ones, not all the things I've heard are good." Morton continues with the small talk.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: May 08, 2013, 10:14:18 am »

((Because Sigmund doesn't know anything about it, he just wants general information about what could hava happened with his soul and where is he going. Now that I think about that...))

Take a scientific treaty about souls too.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: May 08, 2013, 03:01:42 pm »

Kevin listens to the discussion attentively, not being able to partake in it himself.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: May 08, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »

In Brenwicke's Books...

Sigmund quickly fetches his shopping list of books, which consists of a book with maps of the Sea of Death, a beginner's necromantic manual, a book of spellbook samples and one about necromantic focus selection, and in addition he grabs a scientific treatise on the nature of the soul. With all this quality literature obtained, he runs back to the Artiste's house.

Now he's got good books, lots of time and relative safety. A perfect recipe for fun times.

In a temple of Narcillicus...

Scott feels lucky and brave today. Brave and lucky enough to question an angered goddess! Brave and lucky enough to risk death and obliteration! Brave and lucky enough to even talk back!

"Uh...Rysinia? I happen to already be dead. Also, if I may ask, what domain do you preside over?"

~No, you do not. Don't be an idiot. You have a soul within your fragile shell of a body, so you are just as alive as any other thing that moves about and talks nonsense. Perhaps moreso. You can also be quite handily killed. So don't be a smartass about it. As for what we preside over, our domain is conflict, logic and industry. Now, will that be all or do you wish to tempt the wrath of a vengeful divine entity some more?~

In the kitchen of the Artiste...

Having been informed that human flesh is indeed desirable, Niklas gets ready for a meat run.

"Give me a few minutes."

He goes outside, passing Sigmund on the way, and goes looking for humans. He does find one eventually - already a corpse, admittedly. Looks to have died over a day ago from blood loss caused by arrow wounds. Somewhat decomposed, but that might also be a mark of a delicacy. You see, a true chef knows that it's all in the nomenclature. So, operating from the core assumption that humans are like cheese and wine, this guy could work.

On the top floor of the Artiste's house...

Morton, his brain-stuff filling with delicious expository information, gently prods the conversational train along, his insatiable lust for information driving his inquisitive spirit. Kevin can only watch in quiet, attentive appreciation as the words flow freely.

"I see... Oh, that does remind me. Where are we heading exactly? I never did get that information, although it doesn't matter for the deal. Also, was that what he did when I felt odd? Felt like I drank bad tea, then a compulsion to follow what he says..."

"Yeah, you've been soulbound. It can only be reversed by a demon of some kind, I hear. Otherwise it's totally unbreakable. Popular among powerful necromancers, I think. And we're heading to Horizon Isle, this place located roughly in the middle of the Sea of Death. Difficult to reach, but has amazing sunsets."

Morton ponders on this, before shrugging.

"Either way, so you all are mages? Interesting, I've never met one when I lived honestly, always heard strange things about them. Its nice to meet some all the same, 'specially nice ones, not all the things I've heard are good."

"Ya mostly wouldn't meet mages unless ya operate in a particular line of work, have some peculiar interests or are a mage yourself. So no wonder ya hear strange things about 'em. Mages themselves can be anything and anyone - guys, gals, weirdos, crazies, megalomaniacs, altruists, scientists, career climbers and any number of other things. Sometimes, though, all you see is the crazies and psychopaths. Mostly because those are the only ones who tend to wander around a whole lot, since most other mages are busy with steady jobs for lords or conducting research or doing something else pretty important to them. Or just lazing about and doing nothing in particular."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:37:35 pm by Harry Baldman »

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: May 08, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »

"Conflict and industry? So if I pray, dedicate my life to you and provide you with sacrifices you would help me in the areas of war outfitting and the trans-humanistic goal of magical or mechanical augmentation of the physical form?"

Scott Coughs.

"Leading from that question, hypothetically, what in the way of sacrifice would you desire to allow me to be granted an internal bacterial/viritical fermentation unit hooked up to my throat so I can spray concentrated liquid or vaporised death over my possible enemies?"

[Neat huh? :p You have all my wuv Harry.]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:57:02 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: May 08, 2013, 05:50:44 pm »

"So which category do you fall under?" Morton questioned jokingly, it not being a serious question. He turned to Kevin for a moment, before turning back to Erin. "Say, would you know where to find some parchment and a writing utensil? I'm sure my friend would like to get in on the conversation too, although he lacks the means to do so. With the quaint, cozy manor gone, I'm afraid I don't know much of where anything is anymore."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: May 08, 2013, 05:54:21 pm »

This guy'll do, Niklas decides. It's kinda troublesome to kill them anyhow.

Drag the body back to the kitchen. Remove clothes (of the  body). GET COOKING!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: May 08, 2013, 06:14:20 pm »

Sigmund finds a comfortable seat and begins reading the begginer's guide to Necromancy.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: May 08, 2013, 06:14:36 pm »

[Why do I have the feeling that Artiste is going to get horrible brain parasites from this and go crazy?]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:39 pm »

[Why do I have the feeling that Artiste is going to get horrible brain parasites from this and go crazy?]
(Because I'm the most sanitary chef ever? I did just feed him a lung cut in half with a buttered piece of bread stuck between the two halves.)
Sig! Onol

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: May 08, 2013, 09:07:13 pm »

metal fingers dig into the cracks in the bricks and climb
(I'm doing a lot of climbing recently)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: May 09, 2013, 12:51:48 am »

In a temple of Narcillicus...

Scott decides to go with some more questions. Rysinia seems nice enough, after all.

"Conflict and industry? So if I pray, dedicate my life to you and provide you with sacrifices you would help me in the areas of war outfitting and the trans-humanistic goal of magical or mechanical augmentation of the physical form?"

He coughs with a reasonable measure of uncertainty.

"Leading from that question, hypothetically, what in the way of sacrifice would you desire to allow me to be granted an internal bacterial/viritical fermentation unit hooked up to my throat so I can spray concentrated liquid or vaporized death over my possible enemies?"

There is a mental sigh in Scott's head.

~Magic belongs to Velusius, innovation, craftsmanship and creativity belongs to Narcillicus. And service to the gods involves devotion above all to their principles. And no, you can't be granted anything material by the gods. That isn't strictly permitted. The gods inspire and nudge, sometimes make fire and such. Finally, serving gods takes time. A lot of time. And sacrifices are only needed when you want to invoke particularly great favors. Is that all?~

On the top floor of the Artiste's home...

Morton keeps up this positively enchanting communique.

"So which category do you fall under?" he asks jokingly

"Heh. Y'know how it is. Everybody's a visionary in their own heads. Especially crazies. So you be the judge!"

"Say, would you know where to find some parchment and a writing utensil? I'm sure my friend would like to get in on the conversation too, although he lacks the means to do so. With the quaint, cozy manor gone, I'm afraid I don't know much of where anything is anymore."

"Hm... hard to say, really. I'm sure I made some - look around. I bet it'll be in the last place you look."

Well, that's... helpful.

In the woods of Shriekpot...

Niklas rubs his hands together at this fine gift the day has given him, and lugs the old corpse back to the Artiste's house and deposits it in the kitchen.

[Culinary Dark Arts roll: 1+1]

He looks at it from all sides, removes the clothes and rolls it around. You know, he isn't quite sure how to approach this. A roast, maybe? Or a stew? Maybe just keep it raw for maximum extreme culinary enjoyment? Truly, with such a marvelous bounty it is quite a dilemma.

Just outside the kitchen...

Sigmund, books in hand, sits down in one of the available chairs near the Artiste and gets to reading the Neophyte's Guide to the Most Excellent and Fruitful Art of Necromancy.

From reading this manual, he understands several things. Firstly, necromancy is a bit of a misnomer. A better term would be soul magic, though most necromancers work with many other bindings as well. Secondly, to do necromancy you need a focus of some kind. Thirdly, necromancy in the most general sense covers things from binding souls, raising the dead (actually a form of intensifying the bond between the soul and the body sufficiently to create a strong enough attraction to pull souls from the afterlife) and prolonging one's life (similar to raising the dead - the body will decay, but death - the passing of the soul - will be prevented) to speaking with souls, manipulating souls in ways both beneficial and harmful to their owner and quickening death (a chapter on necromancy applicability discusses, among other things, how a necromancer can usually make for a highly competent exorcist, as in, one that can actually exorcise something rather than just make lots of noise and pretend the spirit is gone). Naturally, you shouldn't expect to do any of these things before you've gotten a focus and some reasonable practice, both of which you can get at a respectable magical teaching institution. All in all, it's been an informative experience.

In a well in Shriekpot...

Mark, realizing that he has metal fingers, looks for cracks in the well walls to utilize for climbing.

Unfortunately for him, there really aren't many. At least, not enough to facilitate climbing to a reasonable degree. This must be a recently constructed well. Good workmanship.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: May 09, 2013, 12:58:47 am »

Hmm. Never really worked with human before. What if I ...

Take a knife and cut open the skull so the brain is exposed. Mash it to a paste with a mashing implement, then get several spices and chuck them in there. Let it sit while I extract the organs and fry them, Yes, all of them. Then cube them and drop them into the brain stew. Just put a few from each organ into it to prevent overfill. WAIT UNTIL SOUP IS IN BOWL FIRST.
Add extract of moose.
Add a dollop of butter.
Take the eyes, if any, and lips, if any, from the corpse using knife.
Pour brain soup into bowl.
Add organs (see above).
Arrange eys and lips in a happy face.
Heat and serve.
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: May 09, 2013, 01:08:05 am »

"I guess that is all."
Scott, silently fuming, leaves.
"Damn gods and their emphasis on the long term."
Scott will try again to find either an altar/building dedicated to Pacitarius or a apothecary or an alchemist.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:00:23 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: May 09, 2013, 01:18:09 am »

climb by pressing my legs to the wells' walls and walk up with my back on the other side of the well
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 719