Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556738 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #4290 on: April 24, 2013, 05:54:20 pm »

My jokes are the best. Fine, though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:29 am »

Next to the home of 8 old people...

Sigmund decides that this stone of levitation is something he probably needs.

"Well, if it doesn't bother you giving it to me. That stone could be a very nice alternative to affording a ship, as we are currently short of money. But, if it is not useful anymore for you, I shall take it, I'm sure that we'll find a good use for that little artifact."

"Well, I could give it to you, I suppose. But you should know that you probably couldn't carry just anything with it. Would require calibration and such. Pretty sure it would work, though. Hang on a second."

The man runs inside the house. To defeat the awkward silence, Niklas makes smalltalk.

"Incidentally, would you mind if I killed your animals and fed their carcasses to the dog?"

"We would, actually. We've grown attached to the bunny in particular. And the dog's not bad, either."

She is about to go on, but Sigmund interjects.

"Don't pay attention to him, he likes to make jokes, but, between us, he is terrible at that."

He then whispers something surreptitiously to Niklas, who nods.

"My jokes are the best. Fine, though."

Meanwhile, Rubun seems to be doing okay, managing to get the bunny to ram into a wall, making it crumble.

At a small merchant ship...

Morton, ever the investigative one, goes toward the merchant ship and walks halfway up the gangplank.

"Hello? Is anyone here on this fine ship?"

A muffled voice comes from some distance away.

"Yeah!"

At the docks of Shriekpot...

Scott, written assurance in hand, rides out as quickly as he can, reaching the house of the Artiste in but a scant ten minutes.

Man, it sure has changed. It's now completely unrecognizable as the house Scott spent his last few years in. It now seems to be made of twisting bars of steel running through stone, and the house is now egg-shaped from the looks of it. And if Scott isn't mistaken, that might be a gangplank leading to the front door. A raised gangplank.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: April 25, 2013, 03:02:44 am »

Scott shouts for attention, angrily, furiously even.
"Let me in, you vandalous rogues! I have a ship, but my mind quails on giving the passes to ones who would style my home so!"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:04:32 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: April 25, 2013, 07:24:51 am »

Sigmund, trying to break the silence, asked about the manor:

One of the alternatives we had when we were looking for cash was to rent Nikla's skills. He may give people a terrrible first impression, but he is one of the best cooks I've ever seen. We considered offering his services to the mansion there (Sigmunds points towars the general direction of the manor). Do you now something about who lives in there?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: April 25, 2013, 07:37:17 am »

At the new home of the Artiste...

Scott is shocked and appalled at the treatment of his house! He shouts for some attention!

"Let me in, you vandalous rogues! I have a ship, but my mind quails on giving the passes to ones who would style my home so!"

There is no response from within. Oh, wretched, terrible bother!

At the home of the mages...

Sigmund decides to milk these geezers for all their sweet information.

"One of the alternatives we had when we were looking for cash was to rent Niklas' skills. He may give people a terrible first impression, but he is one of the best cooks I've ever seen. We considered offering his services to the mansion there (Sigmund points toward the general direction of the manor). Do you now something about who lives in there?"

"Um, no. Not particularly."

"Whoever it is, they are not terribly sociable."

"I do think that somebody comes and goes to the estate on occasion, but they're total strangers to us as well."

Sigmund throws a glance at Rubun. It seems to have made a misstep, getting caught in the jaws of the supercharged bunny and the not-too-shabby dog, who both tear large chunks of its flesh out. However, there's several strange things here. For one, their heads actually disappear inside Rubun's body, not touching his skin at all. Secondly, Sigmund believes he spies some red cloth caught on the bunny's teeth from the bite. High-quality red cloth.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: April 25, 2013, 07:55:53 am »

Scott tries to find a way into his own home!
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: April 25, 2013, 08:01:09 am »

Tha battle was not something Sigmund was interested in, but his friend cared for his newfound pet. He said to Niklas:

Your pet is not having a good time here, as a good owner, you should probably take him to another place. Why don't you take him in a hunting trip? I think that he will love it.

Sigmund turned to the old people:

Do you have pest problems in this neighbourhood? A dog as stubborn as this certainly could be of help in such a situation.

[Conditional response: if the old people say that there are indeed pests in the neighbourhood, Sigmund will tell Niklas to go hunt some with rufus]

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: April 25, 2013, 09:19:43 am »

Morton looks around at the voice. "Hello? Where are you?" He walks on the deck of the ship. "Are you down below? I'd like to inquire as to the availability of this ship for transportational purposes. My master is seeking a ship to take him to a location I assume to be far, and I was curious as to if this wonderful ship and its owner would comply. If you could give me an estimate of prices, I would be most appreciative."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: April 25, 2013, 10:31:30 am »

Kevin slowly follows Morton and shoots any possible ambushers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: April 25, 2013, 11:14:00 am »

Hmm. Well, what's the worst that could happen?, asks Niklas. Come, Rubun!

Walk up and bitchslap the bunny and dog into submission. Take Rubun hunting orphans.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: April 25, 2013, 12:43:50 pm »

Outside the new home of the Artiste...

Scott, now feeling quite unwelcome, dismounts from the horse and looks for some sort of glaring security flaw he could exploit in the place. He walks up to the raised gangplank.

He considers the gangplank. It seems to serve as some kind of barrier to the house, that much is true. Okay, so, a barrier here. But there should be a way through it, no? After all, they'd all have to leave at some point, and it wouldn't be clever to just leave it open. Therefore, when they come back, they should have some kind of mechanism to open the thing. Therefore, it should be possible to find and utilize in some way. However, since none are obviously in sight, the mechanism must be hidden in some manner. And the only good hiding place is the wall!

Scott immediately begins to yank on the steel bars in his immediate vicinity, then, when that turns up nothing, begins to knock on the blocks of stone, hoping to find a weakness somewhere. When that turns up nothing as well, he punches the gangplank in frustration, leaving a mighty dent and making something crack behind it. Huh.

The gangplank then falls right on him in all its heavy steel majesty.

[Endurance roll: 6]

Scott catches it with one hand, then steps out to safety. Well, the house is open now. He heads right up.

The inside of the house has completely changed as well. Now it looks more like a series of alcoves ordered in a manner spiraling upwards, with a few extra-deep alcoves at the bottom, one of which is emitting cold air rapidly. The entire interior has a slightly utilitarian and plain look, though each of the alcoves looks warm and inviting, and there are about 8 in total.

Scott notices Mark looking at him from a pit on the ground floor. It appears to be sealed at the top with very thick glass. Mark appears to be minding his own business, sitting in a comfy chair and perusing a book on divination very carefully. There is a bright, crystalline lamp placed next to him to allow optimum reading conditions.

There is the sound of people sleeping peacefully coming from the top alcoves.

At the home of some old people...

Sigmund looks on as Rubun gets mutilated by the dog and bunny.

"Your pet is not having a good time here, as a good owner, you should probably take him to another place. Why don't you take him in a hunting trip? I think that he will love it."

"Hmm. Well, what's the worst that could happen? Come, Rubun!"

Niklas goes up to the dog and tries to slap him most severely!

[Niklas vs. Dog: 6 vs. 6+2]

He slaps the dog straight across the snout. The dog gives him a dubious and bored look, then returns to killing Rubun again. Rubun, having had enough of this crap, starts to run away, getting a good head start on the dog. Wow, look at him go. And he even tricks the bunny into running into a wall when it catches up with him. Sweet! The bunny doesn't seem overly bothered by the high-speed collision, though, and neither does the wall. Must be a good building.

"Do you have pest problems in this neighborhood? A dog as stubborn as this certainly could be of help in such a situation."

"That would be true were it not for the fact that it isn't a dog. It's some kind of jerkass magical fey werewolf that can turn into a man. Not to mention that it tried to bite our faces off upon our first meeting. Not a trustworthy sort, all in all."

"Not to mention that it's far easier and more reliable to make our own pets, like the ones that have been successfully fending said jerkass magical fey werewolf off."

"And any pests we have, we can deal with ourselves, mostly. We are, after all, users of magic, and experienced ones at that. I remember that time I solved the local mole problem. Took some lithospheric reconfiguration, but it was worth it. Not to mention all the ash that the volcano produced really helped the local farmers. Miniature volcanoes used to be such fun before they were banned by the Black Circle."

"Yeah, before they laid down the law you'd get guys like Lightning McGee blasting islands out of existence because they felt like it."

At the docks of Shriekpot...

Morton looks for the source of the ornery-sounding voice, followed by an ever-vigilant Kevin.

"Hello? Where are you? Are you down below?"

"Yeah!"

"I'd like to inquire as to the availability of this ship for transportational purposes. My master is seeking a ship to take him to a location I assume to be far, and I was curious as to if this wonderful ship and its owner would comply. If you could give me an estimate of prices, I would be most appreciative."

"Wait a minute!"

There is the sound of a commotion down below. After three minutes, it shows no sign of stopping.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: April 25, 2013, 01:05:02 pm »

Sigmund was surprised to hear something like that, that monstruous dog was in fact a mad mage! Anyway, he would serve as a good meat shield, so there was actually a benefit in keeping him alive, but, how would he prevent the metal animals from killing him? Maybe if he offered to take that thing away the mages could prevent the animals from killing it. But he also wondered about how a werewolf behaviour would be. Time to keep asking!

I see. Maybe we can take him away, this werewolf has proved to obey my friend Niklas, but it seems that your pets don't allow him to take him away. Would you mind ordering your pets to stop attacking it so that Niklas can take the werewolf away?

After Niklas leaves with the werewolf:

So, this werewolf attacked you. When we found him roaming in the city he seemed friendly, well, as friendly as a werewolf can appear to be. Is there any problem if we try to keep him as a pet? I'm not very fond of this bastard, but my friend is, and I would rather not dissapoint him, as he has been really excited about his new pet.

[If Niklas is still here say the first part (So, this werewolf attacked you. When we found him roaming in the city he seemed friendly, well, as friendly as a werewolf can appear to be. Is there any problem if we try to keep him as a pet?)]

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: April 25, 2013, 01:09:00 pm »

Kevin, doubting the legitimacy of this captain, signals Morton to stop and slowly heads inside himself, keeping his crossbow at the ready.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: April 25, 2013, 01:52:02 pm »

Morton was about to speak, but noticing the 'something's wrong' signal from Kevin he nodded with a worried look on his face. Before Kevin headed inside, Morton offered the jester skeleton his brass, exceedingly sharp fire poker if he wished it. Whether Kevin accepted it or not, Morton will fidget nervously on the deck as he waited.

[Innsmothe, had an idea for extra cruelty that might be up your alley. Know how you're quite virulent? I bet you can get some of those nasty diseases on that blade of yours so even if you just cut someone, double dose of necrotic black paste and horrible diseases and viruses. Just poke a pustule or two out with it from your body, that should do the trick.]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:55:27 pm by Xanmyral »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: April 25, 2013, 01:58:07 pm »

Kevin shakes his head, his crossbow would also make for a good enough clubbing weapon if it would be needed.

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 719