Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 557090 times)

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter Two: Books, Baubles and Boyfriends!
« Reply #390 on: November 04, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »

Try to take the hammer and discern why the goblet is actually glowing.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 05, 2012, 01:18:21 am »

Inside the Illusion Department...

Jordan chooses to use the knightly and gentlemanly privilege of looting his enemy!

[Looting roll: 1]

Blast! All of the coinage they were carrying was magically falsified! So were their clothes and artifacts! Even the amazing robe of the Head Illusionist wasn't actually there! The only things left of the bastards are a set of books! Not having any use for such silly things, Jordan chucks them into a nearby fireplace! They burn with many-colored flames. Pretty!

Inside the Energy Manipulation Department...

Leon is frozen! But he refuses to die just yet!

[Will roll: 1]

His unlife force begins to weaken considerably! The immobility of his body reduces its suitability as an anchor, and his spirit is quickly seeping out of it, going who knows where!

Outside the Magical Zoology Department...

The hits just keep coming for James! First he nearly kills most of his friends, then his sole remaining companion is devoured by some fiendish caterpillar! This will not stand!

[Search roll: 5]

He finds a halberd just like the one he lost among the remains of the mob! Probably because it also has been stolen from a dead guardsman! He makes a triumphant charge at the caterpillar!

[James vs. Caterpillar: 3+1 vs. 1]

He impales the caterpillar through the mouth! The caterpillar twitches a bit!

[Caterpillar endurance roll: 2]

The caterpillar goes still!

"Such will be the fate of all my enemies!"

On the road to Fiverock...

Samuel, not particularly impressed at the destruction he has wrought, tries to climb down from the pillar!

[Agility roll: 6+1]

He does a triple backflip through the air and lands on a patch of rocks, rolling and bending his knees like one of those acrobats he once saw at a fair!

[Ground stability roll: 5]

Well, nothing seems to be crumbling beneath him. That's a good sign. He tries to leave the area and proceed to Fiverock!

[Luck roll: 4]

The road is really banged up, but still there! No impediments in sight, no sirree!

Damn it all, now Samuel's bored again! Why can't something fun happen?

[Random event roll: 6]

He sees a knight in gleaming steel plate armor battling a giant skeletal bird on a cliff slightly off the road! Oh my!

Inside a monastery of some sort...

Vincent is a firm believer in the adage "you take what you can get"! He tries to take the warhammer!

[Warhammer security roll: 2]

Dang, it's wedged in tight. You'd need a lot of tools and several hours' worth of work to get it out. Oh well. Vincent examines his latest piece of loot.

[Examination roll: 1]

He holds it above his head and upends it to get a better look inside!

[Liquid roll: 2]

Vast amounts of blood spill out! Oh, most unsanitary!

[Intelligence roll: ?]

Who'd put that much blood inside a single goblet? Clearly he is dealing with madmen! Or madwomen. MADWOMEN!

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:25:19 am by Harry Baldman »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 05, 2012, 06:18:28 am »

Get free, repeat previous message.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 05, 2012, 07:23:47 am »

Continue to examine the goblet.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:59 am »

Search the building for that silly Scrying Amulet.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:01 am »

Inside the Energy Manipulation Department...

Leon, his unlife-force leaving him with every passing second, attempts to hold on with all his might!

[Leon will roll: 2]

Oh dear. He has but a tiny spark of unlife left in that metal shell of his! His memories, his thoughts, his emotions are all slipping away into oblivion. All of his adventures, the vampire that killed him, his sister... it all becomes an unfamiliar blur as Leon slowly approaches his second death.

[Leon will roll: 5-1]

No, it can't be! Was all that for nothing? Did he suffer the horrible things underground for nothing? He got molten metal poured on him and survived, and THIS is what's going to kill him? No, never!

[Magic resistance roll: 1]

Leon attempts to break free, but, sadly, being in near-absolute-zero temperatures is not a state you can just break out of! He has to bide his time!

[Reaction roll: 5]

It isn't long, though, until a mage wrapped in a shield of heat appears in the hallway. He casts a spell!

[Magic roll: 3]

Leon feels himself heat up by about a hundred kelvins. Too bad there's still around two hundred to go!

[Leon will roll: 5-1]

However, he is still mostly in control of his unlife-force, diminished though it may be. He can halt the flow relatively nicely, though he is weakened somewhat.

[Magic roll: 5]

If Leon had any lungs, he would sigh with relief as the room is returned to its proper temperature! Leon is free from his frosty entanglement!

[Leon endurance roll: 3-1]

Being subject to such an experience has taken a great toll, however, as Leon drops to the ground, sounding not unlike a falling anvil. For the unlife of him, he cannot move.

[Reaction roll: 3]

[Magic roll: 4]

He is telekinetically pulled from where he fell and dragged through the corridor, occasionally bumping into a wall! He is then deposited in a magically reinforced container! A woman dressed in a golden robe comes in front of the cage, keeping out of Leon's reach.

"Why did you attack my student?"

[Nonverbal explanation roll: 4]

Leon gestures that he meant no permanent harm, that he wished to nonlethally subdue the woman who froze him due to her looking awfully unstable and very much like a danger to herself and society, a belief that was proved entirely correct, judging by her extreme, uncontrolled response to his advance!

"I see."

She looks Leon over and sighs.

"I will expel you from university grounds. Do not come back here or I will melt your metal shell into a pile of slag. Is that understood?"

Jordan, despite killing a whole lot of what were obviously illusionists, still thinks this might be the Divination Department! He looks for a scrying amulet!

[Search roll: 1]

After an hour or so of combing the entire building, Jordan finds no traces of anything even resembling a scrying amulet! Cheap illusionist bastards! They'll get theirs! Jordan pulls out one of the still-smoking charred books from the fireplace and puts it near an unfortunately located curtain!

[Fire roll: 4]

The curtains also start smoking a little bit! Perhaps with time and a bit of oxygen, this tiny kiddy-flame could grow into a mighty inferno!

Inside a monastery of some kind...

Vincent, covered in blood and still clueless, inspects his goblet for any telltale signs of its purpose!

[Vincent examination roll: 1]

Yep, definitely blood in there. He upends the goblet on the ground to check! Yes, there definitely is a lot more where that came from. About an infinite number of gallons more.

[Commotion roll: 1]

The blood keeps flowing across the floor, spilling outside! There is a woman's yell and a sound of scurrying! Five muscular women in their twenties to forties, clad in red and yellow robes, burst in through the door!

[Vincent quick thinking roll: 5]

Vincent quickly leaves the scene before anyone can question why a blood-covered skeleton is inside the monastery and why is it carrying a goblet of infinite blood! He stands in the next room and listens!

[Women intelligence roll: 5]

"No bodies. The blood is too fresh to have come from a corpse that is nowhere in sight. Either somebody is carrying a bucket of blood, which I doubt would have gone unnoticed, or magic is involved. In either case, we have an intruder. Sound the alarm and mobilize, sisters."

"Immediately, Abbess."

There is a great commotion around as Vincent hears the sound of steel clanking everywhere! In less than five minutes, the sounds quiet down! He looks outside the room.

Huh. There appear to be knights in full plate armor walking around the monastery, looking for intruders. They're all carrying warhammers and shields.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:00:55 am by Harry Baldman »

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:50 am »

Samuel will rush to the aid of the Knight! Blast the skeleton with a small wave of simple energy! It should deal blunt damage...

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 05, 2012, 10:51:34 am »

((Badass Gentleman PYRO Zombie. Now THAT'S awesome.))

Leave, sighing. Remember that the Amulet is somewhere in a 'Divination Department'. Search for that.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:05 am »

On the now-somewhat obliterated road to Fiverock...

Samuel, in an uncharacteristic stroke of generosity, decides to help the knight! He will summon energy waves!

[Samuel magic roll: 3-2]

The cane of enormous proportions returns, except it appears to be on fire this time! It smashes down on the melee!

[Knight dodge roll: 6]
[Bird dodge roll: 2+1]

Both combatants attempt to leap out of the way, the knight jumping off the cliff and the bird flying diagonally upwards! The bird gets grazed by the cane and gets set on fire despite being a skeleton! Magical fire works quite well against everything, it seems. The knight merely has to contend with falling off a cliff!

[Bird fire extinguishing roll: 3]
[Knight fall damage roll: 2]

The bird manages to somewhat lessen his current state of combustion! The knight merely hits the ground with a loud metallic noise! Oh dear, he doesn't appear to be moving.

[Knight endurance roll: 1+1]

The knight seems to be ranting about internal bleeding in his immobile state. He seems rather hysterical, to be honest.

[Forest fire roll: 1-1]

The forest, unusually dry for this time of year, bursts into flames like a cartload of Greek fire! Samuel has to either run or risk being incinerated!

[Samuel escape roll: 5]

Samuel runs away with the great speed of a thousand cowards! Really, this whole magic thing doesn't appear to be working out for him right now! The forest burns down with the heat of a blast furnace behind him as he escapes totally unharmed! Hooray! Samuel unlives to cause horrible mass destruction another day!

Jordan, peeved about the lack of any scrying amulets inside the Illusion Department, suddenly remembers that there weren't supposed to be any here in the first place! Wow, he feels silly now. He heads outside and proceeds to the Divination Department.

[Fire roll: 3]

The smoking from the Illusion Department intensifies as Jordan leaves. Gods bless your spirit, brave little fire!

Speaking of fire, the Divination Department appears to be totally burnt-out. The headless corpse of some poor chap is lying in a pool of its own blood in front of it. Jordan gets the feeling that he may have been here already for a second, but quickly dismisses it as silly, as surely he'd remember doing something like this.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 05, 2012, 11:56:14 am »

Search for the Amulet! Maybe pick up a few random loot pieces along the way.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 05, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »

Outside the ruins of the Divination Department...

Jordan, wrestling with a sense of deja vu, decides to search for the amulet around the building!

[Search roll: 4]

The corpse of what he presumes is the Head Diviner has no amulet! Maybe it's inside?

[Jordan's anti-barricade roll: 3+1]

After a short bit of hacking and whacking, Jordan has pierced through the barricade once more! He goes through everywhere and, aside from a few vaults, nothing seems to have remained from the destructive fire! Jordan briefly glances through the window at the Illusion Department.

[Fire roll: 6]

There doesn't seem to be a large fire yet. In fact, the smoking has gotten less intense if anything! Damn those oddly non-flammable curtains!

[Intelligence roll: 6]

Piecing together the information gathered, Jordan can only come to one conclusion: James is at fault here! Seems like his work. Maybe he used that infernal glowing stomach of his to set some kind of magical fire! To hide evidence! Of something! But what? Jordan believes there might be a conspiracy unfolding!

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 05, 2012, 12:29:32 pm »

((Remind me what I'm supposed to be doing again. Please?))

Exit the building and wander around campus, maybe killing a few people as I go and search for ANYTHING that could be used as an effective weapon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:06 pm »

((Step 1: get anatomy textbooks from Library. Step 2: get Head Diviner's scrying amulet. Step 3: obtain mostly unharmed corpse of the most beautiful man in the Metamorphosis Department. Step 1 is the only one that nobody is trying to do yet.))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2012, 01:01:18 pm »

POLITELY ask the zoologists if I can come in. Mention valuable data about molluscs.
If refused, attempt to destroy barricade
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2012, 02:08:30 pm »

Outside the Divination Department...

Jordan is satisfied at the quality of his investigative work and decides to search no further! At least not for the scrying amulet! Despite having a wonderful axe, he really thinks he could use a backup weapon! With his mind set on obtaining fine killing tools, he searches!

[Search roll: 1]

He finds a rampaging elephant! Eh, close enough.

"I say, would you care to donate some ivory? It's for a good cause, dear chap!"

[Jordan vs. Elephant: 6+1 vs. 1-2-1+4]

The elephant has a curious look on its face for a second! That is, until Jordan severs its trunk and tusks with a single well-aimed axe swing! Then it just gets replaced with the closest thing an elephant can feel to utter horror! Jordan is like a mouse to the mighty creature! An extremely well-armed mouse that can easily dismember it! The elephant loses a lot of blood as well as two of its mightiest weapons!

[Elephant morale roll: 3]

The elephant begins to back up in fear! Unfortunately, it does not know that Jordan enjoys the smell and taste of fear quite a bit!

"Where are you going, sir? The evening has only begun!"

[Jordan vs. Elephant: 5+1 vs. 5-2-1+3]

Jordan goes for another swing, drawing blood on the elephant's front left leg! It appears to hurt the elephant quite a bit!

[Elephant morale roll: 3]

It still can't decide whether attacking Jordan would be a good idea, though!

Outside the Zoology Department...

James has defeated quite a bit of the forces arrayed against him! However, he isn't getting anywhere. Negotiation time!

[Persuasion roll: 1-2+1]

"Open up, I have valuable data about molluscs I would like to shove down your throat just to watch you die a horrible, suffocating death!"

"That so, eh? Take this, snail-lover!"

[Random animal roll: 3]

A six-armed chimpanzee is dropped from one of the upper floors! It falls rather awkwardly!

[Chimp fall damage roll: 3]

It bounces from the ground and starts howling and yelling!

[Chimp idea roll: 5]

The chimpanzee feels a certain kinship with James, both being horrible freaks of nature that are infested with various parasites! It'll help him! Seeing a lack of aggression from the ape, James puts it to work on dismantling the barricade!

[Chimp anti-barricade roll: 1+1]

The chimp, however, is simply too preoccupied with picking bugs out of James' skin! Well, at least it's making itself somewhat useful. Guess James has to do all the work himself. AGAIN.

[James anti-barricade roll: 4]

James kicks the door and pulls on the handle. That didn't work. He screws off the hinges with his halberd! The doors come off! After that, it's only a matter of pulling on choice pieces of barricade and he's through! He takes his menagerie of snails and his unusually helpful chimp companion with him! James has finally entered the Magical Zoology Department!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:20:47 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 719