Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 546343 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10710 on: August 15, 2015, 05:55:43 am »

"Well fine."

Double back, try to find a way with less life to extinguish./b]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: August 27, 2015, 01:49:56 pm »

Next to a dreadful vertical shaft...

Sigmund goes on with his pulling plot, making his phylactery ascend at a decent clip, feeling like he just dodged a rather terrible fate awaiting his phylactery in the deep dark abyss.

[Sigmund's dodge roll: 5+1-1]

And of course, just as he thinks this, he manages to dodge something he presumes to be relatively similar, jumping back from the shaft just as a tendril of something very thin, yet highly abrasive sweeps across his flesh in what was probably an attempt to catch him - only a dash of nigh-preternatural vampire badger quickness allows him to slide out of it in an instant, leaving him with just a bit of fur missing, bleeding abrasions left in its place - the looped tendril that seems to have assaulted him retreats back into the darkness above, which seems like a rather ominous development.

In the uncovered ruins of the Black Tower of Eckledun...

Scott, having succeeded in rescuing the telepathic witch of the tower, begins the next stage of the plan, which is to hoist her up into the sky.

[Scott's telekinesis roll: 6]

With but a minute quiver of his ectoplasm he manages to launch Francine, head and body both, right up into the sky at amazing speed, watching her disappear into the darkness above, blending with the stars and the clouds. He begins to follow at a decent clip himself, flying up some three kilometers before he starts to wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient to let her come back to him at this point.

In the not-so-free city of the gub...

Kevin proceeds through the streets of the city, finding them slightly shinier than before. Probably all that transmutation.

"Mind giving me directions to the central tower? I'd be happy to give this away if I could get my old body back, to be honest. Having a hard time dealing with all these catches..." he says as he turns down a dark alley to dodge an incoming set of distracted dolphins, only to come upon a pink cabbage placed on a rough stone pedestal, just standing in the middle of the alleyway.

~it's the tallest one, hint hint!~ say the gub, conveniently distracting Kevin from contemplating this find and getting him moving out the other end of the alley. ~and we may even give you your body back, yes! depends on the quality of your service!~

Heading out, Kevin does find the tower very easily - it is indeed the tallest one. Navigating bridges over the channels running along the streets, he gets inside the enormous building, where Evelyn seems to be waiting on a bench, fingers steepled as she listens to a wormy-looking guy yammering on about something.

"-and let me tell you, the goddamn eleventh - now there was a barrel of laughs. You should have seen what he had in-" the guy speaks, his back currently to Kevin, but is interrupted by Evelyn raising her hand to quiet him, then looking at Kevin.

"You have something for me," she says, looking Kevin over.

"Who's the babe?" the wormy guy wonders in a level tone, causing Evelyn to roll her eyes.

"One of the minions," she replies without looking at him, her gaze still fixed on Kevin with an air of imminent, expected disappointment. Eager to prove her wrong, Kevin pulls out a pink cabbage, then throws it out the nearby door, whereupon it walks off on its own business. Evelyn seems vaguely unnerved by the sight. Next he produces the Mantra, which she seems altogether less threatened by and takes immediately, giving it a careful look.

"Hm. Strange artifact," she says. "What does it do?"

In the esophagus of a void eel...

Fortunately for good mage Wilma, Morton can be always depended on to have an overly optimistic plan.

"Why, the way we came of course, good mage Wilma! Also, I suggest not looking until we've vacated the premises, to ease any ill feelings. I've yet to locate good surgeon Mark, but for now leaving this strange place is of high order," he explains, then proceeds to take her down the tunnel carefully, returning to the sphincter-like mouth-door he beheld but a short while ago. It still appears to be closed and rather forbidding as well as slightly steely, which might not be such a terribly good sign.

"Wait, so we..." Wilma starts after a moment's thought, her voice a little weak, "... just go out there again? What if something eats us again?"

On a path of death and destruction...

Darren momentarily reconsiders plowing straight through a forest and contemplates a different approach as he retreats over his path to prevent unnecessary devegetation.

Giving the matter some thought, it becomes rather apparent to Darren that if he genuinely cares about trees dying, maybe the forest isn't really a good place for him, largely on account of the trees everywhere. Maybe somewhere else would be better? There's plenty of uneventful-looking landscape all around, but that does all seem a bit more bland than a dark forest. Of course, go far enough in any direction and something interesting ought to show up.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:55 pm »

Ooooookay.

Seal the hole with stone magic!. Better to find another way out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: August 27, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

"Lets you will yourself anything. That's it, basically. You just will something and it happens."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: August 27, 2015, 04:22:39 pm »

"Lets you will yourself anything. That's it, basically. You just will something and it happens."
You should probably tell her about the catch.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: August 28, 2015, 01:55:58 am »

"Hm," Evelyn says, moving her hands in preparation for some form of magical shenanigans. "Show me."

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: August 28, 2015, 04:14:01 am »

Mark goes to the red light the monster isnt very nice
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: August 28, 2015, 04:44:42 am »

Will a cabbage

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: August 28, 2015, 08:05:23 am »

FOLLOW THAT FRANCINE! he acts, whilst loudly commenting this decision to an imaginary aerial vehicle of some commercial significance.
[edit: I can't remember if I was drunk or not when writing this, but I must have been.}
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:16:47 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: August 30, 2015, 09:56:12 am »

The desk contemplated what Wilma said as he also contemplated the barrier. "Hmmm. I'm not sure if there's a way we can avoid that no matter which way we go, good mage Wilma. I suppose we could go deeper into this strange place, there are others here but they aren't remarkably polite. I can't say I have much of a heart to force the issue with them, I quite prefer peaceful alternatives."

The desk tried to see if he could pry the barrier open. One must never falter, at least not without an attempt!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: August 30, 2015, 11:23:16 am »

Next to an increasingly menacing hole...

Sigmund, quite sure that he wants none of what happens to be in that hole, tries to seal it shut.

[Sigmund's magic roll: 4]

Pressing the stone wall with his magical presence, he closes the hole after about ten seconds of concentration - the missing material from the wall, which presumably plummeted down into the shaft, is still very much missing, so unfortunately the wall does become a little thinner. Hopefully whatever spooky jellyfish that was in there will be sufficiently discouraged.

There is, however, the problem of his phylactery, which still happens to be on the other side and still quite a ways down. At least he remembered to keep a hold on it this time around.

In a friendless void...

Mark makes the wise executive decision to go toward the red light instead of the inscrutable salamander thing, weakly paddling with his incredibly broken body. And it does work rather well! The salamander still can't quite keep up, though it doesn't fall behind either. And when it becomes clear that it seems to be going insufficiently fast, the creature starts to swim faster, which leads to an ominous gradual increase in its size.

"STOP!" it yells after Mark in a voice that makes him a touch tingly in the marrow. "THERE IS NO ESCAPE!"

In the foyer of Mothdale's central tower...

Kevin, having been adequately prompted to challenge destiny yet again, lets Evelyn see his cabbage-making skills.

[Kevin's magic roll: 2-2]

He thinks of cabbage, great and powerful and sure, why not pink while he's at it, seeking to bring matter into being by force of will, as he clearly has before, and in his fingers he can feel a stirring as the air around them starts to twist and change, adopting a structure that, while not leafy just yet, would likely need just the slightest nudge in the right direction to-

[Evelyn's magic roll: 1]

-go completely out of control, yes. A feeling of resignation strikes Kevin as the contents of his hands spontaneously implode, his eyes opening in alarm, spotting but a single point of absolute blackness hovering in the air above his open palms. Evelyn also appears to be staring at it with an annoyed expression, and for a moment nothing happens, the tower foyer filled with absolute silence.

"Isn't that-" the wormy-looking guy begins to say, but is cut off by a sudden tidal wave of undefinable pink forcing its way through the infinitesimal black point. Before his field of vision becomes pink, Kevin only sees Evelyn flinch and the wormy guy throw his hands up defensively, a deluge of oddly-covered pseudo-matter crashing into his body.

Well, maybe not crashing exactly. Most unusually of all, it doesn't quite feel any worse than a warm wind. Moving his arms, Kevin finds himself with perfectly nice ranges of motion, and after a few moments more of checking he seems to be perfectly fine in all the ways one would find significant. How... distinctly underwhelming.

In the skies above Eckledun...

Scott travels on up, intent on locating the mage while going on incoherently about something to do with imaginary balloons. On the bright side, going on about imaginary balloons helps him endure the long, arduous trip upward.

After a while, he hits what he thinks is a cirrus cloud, hard to tell in the dark, with no Francine in sight. Must have flown up very far indeed.

At a void-creature's mouth...

Morton considers the wisdom of going out into a field of hungry metal monsters.

"Hmmm. I'm not sure if there's a way we can avoid that no matter which way we go, good mage Wilma. I suppose we could go deeper into this strange place, there are others here but they aren't remarkably polite. I can't say I have much of a heart to force the issue with them, I quite prefer peaceful alternatives," he says as he extends his tendrils to the pseudo-mouth, seeking to open it.

"Very well," Wilma sighs back.

[Morton's strength roll: 6]

It quickly becomes apparent that the sphincter-like mouth won't open, so Morton tries a more expedient solution and puts a tendril through it instead, since the surrounding metal wall around the sphincter seems much less durable. A bit scrappy, really. With a bit of punching, twisting and tearing he manages a perfectly sensible hole, moving through it with some ease. Good mage Wilma, however, has a bit of trouble, getting a nasty cut on the arm from the sharp edges, an unsightly spot of blood forming in the area beneath an equally unsightly cut on the robe itself.

"That rather hurts," she complains largely to herself at first, but then beholds the other side of Morton's breach, which makes her purse her lips concernedly.

First of all, the mouth does indeed seem to lead to the void, judging by the red light occasionally streaking past at great speed, indicating that the two of them are probably spinning very fast right about now. Small shiny points of light can also be discerned. But this is of little concern, because there seems to be an enormous salamander-man with incredibly finned long arms spinning past at the same speed, filling the void with an unearthly white glow. And though it doesn't appear to have seen them yet, it pretty clearly seems to be miffed about something.

"THERE IS NO ESCAPE!" it yells after something that neither of the two can see, its voice overpoweringly audible in Morton's position.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: August 30, 2015, 11:29:15 am »

((NUCLEAR CABBAGE DEVICE DEPLOYED, GOOD EFFECT ON TARGET. EXFILTRATION IN PROGRESS...))
Will myself to be somewhere else entirely.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: August 30, 2015, 12:48:29 pm »

Scott dives down, trying to predict Francine's ballistic arc.
FRANCIIIIIIINE!!!! He cries psycially.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: September 02, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

Okay, TM the phylactery back to where the hole used to be. Position myself quite away from it, and open the hole again, TM the phylactery back into the room where I am currently in, and quickly seal the hole again.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: September 02, 2015, 08:57:47 pm »

There was a solid pause from Morton as he took in the scene for a few moments.

"Good news, good mage Wilma. I believe we've found good surgeon Mark."

The desk doesn't leap free just yet, he investigates his surroundings first and tries to determine if its possible to jump free without a risk of bring struck by the rotating mass of their once-prison, as well as to try and see if he could figure out what those motes of light were in the distance.

[How exactly is the thing spinning? Is it doing a barrel roll, or sort of an out of control rotation while also spinning?]
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 719