Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Stories  (Read 1047 times)

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Stories
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:41:19 pm »

As the name (hopefully) suggests, the proposed idea is somewhat simple:
   Have the ability to create your own stories for adventure mode.
Undoubtably though, they would probably fall under the domain of modding if implemented.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Stories
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

What do mean with this. Nothing is preventing you from writing up a story and posting it on the DF forums.

Toady is planning on adding adventurer goals and such to the game, as stated in the devgoals.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »

Sorry for the lack of description.

What I'm going to try to say is essentially User-made scenarios acted out in adventure mode. More or less an in-game roleplay, wherein the player fulfills the story... Do I need further explanation? I can understand I'm not always concise.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:53:37 am »

Our brother ate the dragon, and we need some way to avenge his brother.
Or, to return stolen someone artifact King
Something like this?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 06:20:35 am »

This is delightfully confusing :D

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:29:29 pm »

I don't really see how it could work in DF, in user-defined way. Mods are pretty limited, and it's more complicated by how DF is generated from ground up and historicals. And that's not to say the very act of acting makes it's own story.

Also, artifact kings? That'd be something interesting to see :D

Unless you meant something like in-game reason, like picking a relative of someone that got eaten by a dragon that was in turn slain by a necromancer and are you bad enough dude to take them on?

( Not an adventure mode player, but it could tie in fortress mode pretty easily with royal edicts and such )

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 02:46:23 pm »

Or, to return stolen someone artifact King
Something like this?

Exactly my idea, more or less. But I agree that it would likely not be a very effective task. Seems like to much work for little practical benefit.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »

I still dont understand.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:07 pm »

I think the idea is that you could make an adventurer with a pre-generated quest.
Think of it like this metaphor I just thought of and am starting to question: Batman started out trying to avenge his parents...or keep it from happening again...or something like that, it's been a while. He moved on to trying to rid Gotham of crime. Doing whatever to his parents was the original story, everything else was random things you decided to do along the way.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:06 pm »

I've decided the idea isn't worth the effort. With that in mind, I am now locking the topic.