Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Suggest an agricultural challenge---I'm bored!  (Read 3914 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest an agricultural challenge---I'm bored!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 12:13:43 pm »

1. The only source of food is butchered animals
Or
2. Change the ethics and make inviders butcherable. You are only allowed to eat the other green meat. (or elves. Just leave kobolds alone!)
Or
3. Soilent Brown, the meal that is dwarves. Either make dwarves butcherable or make a reaction that produces soilent dwarf and kills the one making it (syndrome cloud or something. A wonky transformation perhaps?)

I think for 3, it'd be enough to transform dwarves into a tame butchereable animal as big as dwarves. At least that's what I've seen mentioned in modding forum when someone butchered the transformed dwarf, that dwarf meat came out. Would have to check over there to confirm, though!

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:42 pm »

Build the dwarven equivalent to the hanging gardens,
stepped farms on non-natural-mud that are watered from the top.

No underground crops maybe?
Only allow a single farmer at any time?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 12:44:03 pm »

Smirk, I like your idea to found a farming outpost. Have you ever noticed that when you buy plants from the caravan, they always come in stacks of plump helmet [5]? If you pay attention to farming in DF you'll know that stacks of 5 are relatively hard to come by until you have fertilizer and skilled growers. So perhaps the challenge might be to atom-smash any crops of stack size 4 or less as not being up to standard, the caravans only want stacks of 5 or better?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »

I'm starting the challenge tonight:

Seasonal Crops mod is in effect.
The Mountainhomes have oppressed the peasants! Plant stacks of size 5+ are mandated and shall be our fortress's only trade good. Stacks smaller than 5 must be dumped.
The oppressive regime has forbidden the people to form a militia. They only allow passive defenses (walls, drawbridges, moats, hatch covers, etc.), trained beasts, and miners, hunters, woodcutters, etc. shall be the only dwarfs allowed to bear arms.
Alcohol is strictly prohibited; the only beverages shall be water, non-alcoholic sparkling honey mead, and whatever moonshine can be bartered from the elves and humans while Big Brother isn't watching.

Year 1 we shall grow exclusively plump helmets as they are the most in-demand crop. You know all those plump helmet [5]'s you always embark with? This is where the come from.

Embarking with some basic tools and supplies, potash, lotsa plump helmet spawn, and the following dwarfs:

2 growers
2 hunter/gatherers
3 peasants to be trained on-the-job as miner, woodcutter, utility dwarf (butcherbeekeeperpotashmakerbrewer)

Picked a nice, flat, sandy embark with lots of trees. Off we go, to grow plump helmets for the mountainhomes!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:11:23 pm »

Excellent! I like the stack-of-5 restriction. Especially so, since I realized after posting earlier that the hard-coded 200-seed-per-crop limit won't actually allow you to coat the entire surface in productive farms =/ 

And no alcohol?! You monster 0_o

Looking forward to updates!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:40 pm »

Mead technically is alcohol, but for storytelling purposes I'm pretending it is not. Also it is going to be a loooong time before the bees multiply and I'm producing it in any quantity.

Summer update: At the end of the spring foraging season, I had to throw out 90% of the stacks because they were too small. At the end of it all we're left with is 3 stacks of hide root and 1 each of longland, blade weed, and strawberries. Not an encouraging payoff for a whole season's work! But the plump helmets are in the ground, in fertilized fields, so I'm hoping for a bumper crop in time for the fall caravan. Due to a miner pathing error, I didn't get my farm dug out until late spring, and because I'm using the seasonal crop mod, I'm not sure when to expect the harvest.

Autumn update: The traders are here, and so are the plump helmets! After culling all stack sizes less than 5, total value 300 dorfbucks. A rather pathetic harvest! Just enough to trade for a few seeds (we'll be expanding into dimple cups and quarry bushes) and an iron bar in case someone has a metal mood. Also our first honey mead!

Winter update: Plump helmets were a stupid choice for this challenge because dwarfs will nibble at the 5-stacks and turn them into 4-stacks. I've resorted to putting them in a separate stockpile and then forbidding them until the caravan arrives. Won't have this same problem with dimple cups or quarry bushes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:18:59 pm by Mushroo »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:23 pm »

Tower made out of rocknut soap.

Do it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:47 pm »

^--- but how to get rocknut soap under my current plan of not processing the plants in any way? I would need to rely only on rock nuts from the caravan, and soap them instead of grow them, and build my castle 30 blocks at a time. But another fort, another time, when I am allowed to process my quarry bushes to leaves and nuts and oil and soap and press cakes, absolutely I'll take the challenge! At the moment however I have zero rock nuts, they are all planted in the ground and not due until fall harvest because of seasonal crops mod.

Update: That 1 metal bar I traded for was a great investment! My mooding metalcrafter has made: Romlamum, an iron mini-forge!

Year 2 update: no elf or human caravans. I lost my whole year's crop of of quarry bushes by failing to understand seasonal crop mod (must plant in winter, not spring!) Total output for the year: 675 d.

Spring Year 3 update: population is up to 67. there is enough food for all, tasty biscuits made from honeybee royal jelly and gray langur tallow! Just enough mead to stave off madness, but not to sustain thirst--without the well we would die. Speaking of which we just had our first 2 tragedies, babies shaken to death by a rampaging badger boar...

Summer Year 3 update: Mageziya's request has been granted! The mountainhomes demand a monolith of rock nut soap be erected. The colony's chief export shall now be bags of quarry bush leaves, minimum quantity 25. A small crop of pig tails shall be permitted for bag-making purposes.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:01:57 am by Mushroo »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 07:04:35 am »

In theory, farming isn't necessary at all. One could feed the dwarfs from plant gathering and butchering.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 07:47:42 am »

In theory, farming isn't necessary at all. One could feed the dwarfs from plant gathering and butchering.

Or export one masterwork steel giant serrated disc per year in exchange for all the meat, plants and cloth a thriving fortress could possibly consume, then turn it all into lavish meals. I've never been one for food production, it's all I've found traders are good for.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »

^--- definitely true, it is not necessary at all! It is just something fun that I kind of enjoy. Masterwork serrated disks are fun too, I went through that phase myself.

Just sitting down for another play session on the challenge fort. Rock nut soap production has begun, and the plan is to build a sleeping dormitory completely out of soap that hangs from the roof of the first cavern like a yellowjacket's nest.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 12:08:39 pm »

Oh I forgot to mention Fort McMuffin, whose specialty biscuit was eggs fried in rock nut oil. That was fun, profitable, and just the right amount of micro-management to be enjoyably complicated without annoyingly so!

Last week when driving on a long car trip I came up with an interesting challenge: serve your highest noble a full English breakfast

I finally decided to post a full thread on the idea, see details here

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »

Do all of the above challenges plus the restrictions found on this thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118002.0

And do it at this type of location:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118000.0

With this mod fully utilized:
 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.0
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:53:47 pm by Burnup »
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »

Your dwarves cannot eat anything except for wildlife that has been shot by a ballista.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:14 pm »

Download the Flora and Fauna mod, and try to grow, process and use every available crop.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3