Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege right before a caravan...  (Read 2090 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege right before a caravan...
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:13 am »

This is lame... I get besieged one-two days before the dwarven caravan usually arrives.

How am I supposed to kill them fast enough to get rid of the siege for the caravan?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Siege right before a caravan...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:51 am »

I've not found that you could. Seems that sieges always cut off caravans for me no matter how fast I eliminates them, if they didn't arrive before it.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:44:46 am »

This is lame... I get besieged one-two days before the dwarven caravan usually arrives.

How am I supposed to kill them fast enough to get rid of the siege for the caravan?

!!Magma!! of course.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:51:25 am »

But if you're falling short there..

Prepare a method in which to kill invaders, it's part of the game that they are inconvenient.
Xbows, Balistas, trap gauntlets, atom smashers, military, !!Land mines!!, flood chambers, airlocks, minecart shotgun, stone fall staircase, etc.
There happen to be many methods, and it is up to you to invent your way to triumph.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:13:58 pm »

Fighting invaders is not the problem. The fact that they prevent any caravans from arriving, and invade 5 seconds before a caravan is the problem. Because it's not a coincidence, they are programmed to do that? There's simply not enough time to kill them to clear a way for the caravan, short of placing traps on all map-edge tiles, and where's the fun in that?

I think it's a pretty lousy game design. Why even have caravans after the first two years if they can't get in (constant sieges at that point)? Disable them completely if that's the case, with the excuse of unsafe routes. As it is, it's just annoying, a whole year preparing for the caravan wasted.

Oh, and Megabeasts and Titans also arrive during a siege. And immediately run towards goblins, who promptly steal the kill. Sounds like fun. Not. This has been in the game for how long now?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »

Been in the game forever (Since 40d at least ), I do notices sieges arriving at different time of season at differing distance, and caravans varies their arrivals too.

Well, I've had literal constant sieges in a few fortress when I walls up and mind my own business, I think one of them actually went a few years with goblins taking turns sitting out front as I flaunt my dyed cloak at them. Was back in 31. I've not really dealt with sieges in 34. yet, but that kind of timing isn't new.

You can disable caravans, though, I don't recall how, but you can do it in your save raw, if you want to make sure :D

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:21:18 pm »

Nah; the really annoying thing is when sieges arrive 5 seconds after the caravan. The caravan gets wiped out, and you're left with piles and piles of useless trade goods to clean off the surface. And it counts as a trade loss for that civ's caravan, so you'll either get reduced goods next year or they'll decide to go to war with you.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:28 pm »

Nah; the really annoying thing is when sieges arrive 5 seconds after the caravan. The caravan gets wiped out, and you're left with piles and piles of useless trade goods to clean off the surface. And it counts as a trade loss for that civ's caravan, so you'll either get reduced goods next year or they'll decide to go to war with you.
I have the same problem with my Dwarf caravan.  Only 1 or 2 traders enter map when siege begins.  A squad or 2 is on top of them before my military gets to the rally point.  I'm building additional entrances to the fortress near the map edges, which go underground immediately.  Not sure if it will be enough.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:36 pm »

Fighting invaders is not the problem. The fact that they prevent any caravans from arriving, and invade 5 seconds before a caravan is the problem. Because it's not a coincidence, they are programmed to do that? There's simply not enough time to kill them to clear a way for the caravan, short of placing traps on all map-edge tiles, and where's the fun in that?

I think it's a pretty lousy game design. Why even have caravans after the first two years if they can't get in (constant sieges at that point)? Disable them completely if that's the case, with the excuse of unsafe routes. As it is, it's just annoying, a whole year preparing for the caravan wasted.

Oh, and Megabeasts and Titans also arrive during a siege. And immediately run towards goblins, who promptly steal the kill. Sounds like fun. Not. This has been in the game for how long now?

First off, frustration is understood.

Invaders are correlated to your fortresses net value.
When a caravan comes, there is a good chance a invader/ invader group in pursuit on the world map. The caravan seeks refuge.
how long it takes them to attack differs greatly. Durring sieges, caravans will not come, unless the caravan code has already been iniciated. which is actually not a huge chance.
You've been feeling the brunt effect of DFs hurdles. Enjoy the unique situation you are in when 5 seconds is all you have.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 01:25:15 pm »

Sometimes you can clear the siege quickly enough, if they arrive early in late [season] and the caravan arrives late.

Since sieges and caravans both run on the same schedule, have your military ready at the caravan's spawn point. Caravans with wagon access will only appear at points that can access the depot, so  cutting off depot access to most of the surface will limit their options. Once they appear, they should get away from open ground as soon as possible. I prefer ramps into the underground because you can set those up before you have lots of building material and you don't have to do anything to keep the path clear, but a covered tunnel built on the surface is an option too.

The liaisons and diplomats will be on their own, but that's always the case.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.