Re: I want to download Team Fortress 2, but can't
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »

*Injects thread with helium*

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 04:42:23 pm »

I'd be pretty cautious; Valve has a nasty habit of rolling out large updates, and if you leave Steam running they'll download automatically. You might want to disable automatic updating if/when you get TF2.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 07:44:59 pm »

Not getting the latest updates would prevent you from actually being able to play with anyone once an update comes out and the servers all update.

Also, unless Valve finally fixed the bug, disabling automatic updating didn't actually work. Maybe they did, though. Who knows! It has only been a problem for years, after all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 04:04:50 pm »

Let's hope that engineer isn't a spy.
The engineer is a spy, and now he's here to f*ck us. In all seriousness we can't get fairpoint because none of their booster doohickii are close enough to our house.
Not getting the latest updates would prevent you from actually being able to play with anyone once an update comes out and the servers all update.

Also, unless Valve finally fixed the bug, disabling automatic updating didn't actually work. Maybe they did, though. Who knows! It has only been a problem for years, after all.
*hurr!* My heart...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »

Depending on how well you get on with your neighbours, you could get them to chuck in for an internet connection and pay for usage. Most modems these days have a wireless connection as well, so you'd just need the passcode and you'd be set. WiFi is slower than cable/ADSL2, but it might just work. You can get about 30 metres of range on a good setup, with reasonablish speeds. I'm not sure if it'll be good enough for FPS games, but it might be.

I'm actually thinking of getting one of those 300m booster antennas. I live on a hill and can receive network signals from up to 6km a way on my phone's wireless LAN, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use the net on my phone/laptop down the pub on my own connection once I've done it.

Actually, why don't you just get someone to download TF2 for you and then burn it onto a couple of DVD's? Hell, they could mail it to you if you wanted. 3 DVD's are pretty damn cheap in cost and postage. If you're in Australia, I'll do it for you myself.
It's a game. Have fun.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »

Depending on how well you get on with your neighbours, you could get them to chuck in for an internet connection and pay for usage. Most modems these days have a wireless connection as well, so you'd just need the passcode and you'd be set. WiFi is slower than cable/ADSL2, but it might just work. You can get about 30 metres of range on a good setup, with reasonablish speeds. I'm not sure if it'll be good enough for FPS games, but it might be.
really? I only get 1-2/5 bars when I'm two rooms away from the modem
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 11:11:16 pm »

This could be a good solution, if it is possible. It is likely that the WiFi data throughput you would get from a modern WiFi modem would be greater than the data throughput of ADSL2+ (ADSL2+ Has a max of about 24 Mbit/s, where 802.11n can potentially get upto 600 Mbit/s) so the limiting factor would be the ADSL, or perhaps very poor signal. (I don't know about cable, but if it were faster than 24 Mbit/s, downloading Team Fortress should not be a problem).

Or you could just try to connect to their's anyway if they have one ;D (that is, if it is unsecured, or "secured" with WEP).

FPS's work great on my 802.11n connection, but I am only several meters away from my router.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 12:58:39 am »

really? I only get 1-2/5 bars when I'm two rooms away from the modem
You must have a crappy modem or metal walls :D. I use a russian modem (I think it's a company which copied D-Link or is their representative) and it works for my whole countryhouse yard and my close neighbours, although they get 2-3 bars, but it's a nice distance between walls and areas, like 50 meters.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:00:31 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3]