Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: About Felling Trees  (Read 2160 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About Felling Trees
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:06:04 pm »

I'm not sure if there's a plan for this already or what, but, as a forester, I can tell you that the best way to fell a tree with low branches like that is to climb the tree, chop off the branches, then drop it. For ones with spindly high branches, you go the other way.

This also makes it fairly easy to have, perhaps, branches and lumber as different objects, branches being not useful for, say, making a bridge or a table, but fine for crafts and fuel.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: About Felling Trees
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:59:15 pm »

Something of this sort is coming in next version, with its multi-tile trees.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:58:18 pm »

That's what I mean. Toady said he hasn't designed the mechanics for these trees being felled, probably it will just be the tree will fall to a side and leave logs. So, I though I'd contribute my real-world knowledge, maybe the woodcutters will actually climb the trees and trim the branches, as woodcutters do.

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 01:34:11 pm »

For some reason I don't see dwarves as being "cautious" tree harvestors. Elves sure, but I see dwarves as just walking up to the tree, chop, chop, chop, timber, lets drink.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:23:32 pm »

For some reason I don't see dwarves as being "cautious" tree harvestors. Elves sure, but I see dwarves as just walking up to the tree, chop, chop, chop, timber, lets drink.

Elves don't really harvest trees though, they simply walk up to the tree and ask it nicely to give them some wood (literally) ^^

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 05:16:46 pm »

Yeah, those are dwarves all right.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:29:26 am »

I don't see dwarves as being stupid or inefficient when it comes to any industry. Us players sure, but not dwarves innately.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:35:46 pm »

I don't see dwarves as being stupid or inefficient when it comes to any industry. Us players sure, but not dwarves innately.

My thinking exactly

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:49:53 am »

To clarify, I did not say "stupid", I said "not cautious". Dwarves are the fantasy worlds verison of a tank. Low, somewhat slow, but stout as a blockhouse. I just see them focused on mining and to them (in my mind) woodcutting is a vile thing they must do so they can get back underground again.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 02:25:07 pm »

Underground agin!?
Implying you let them see the ubove world!?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA your funny!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:06:42 am »

To clarify, I did not say "stupid", I said "not cautious". Dwarves are the fantasy worlds verison of a tank. Low, somewhat slow, but stout as a blockhouse. I just see them focused on mining and to them (in my mind) woodcutting is a vile thing they must do so they can get back underground again.

:) Well, we could argue semantics, in that doing something incautiously and possibly causing damage and injury because of it may be considered stupid, but I know what you mean.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:12:36 am »

Isn't living in a cavern full of monsters kinda incautious and stupid in and of itself?
Sig

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 05:15:42 am »

You sound like an elf! Incautious and stupid for a pointy-eared bastard or a human, but dwarves live underground as elves and humans live above it. Incautious and stupid to spend any more time than necessary above ground, I'd say.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

5asdffdsa5

• Bay Watcher
  • that's no space station its a moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 04:36:19 pm »

it is incautious and stupid not to breach the caverns full of monsters. just as it is incautious and stupid to do avoid using the most complex, and dangerous method.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 04:41:45 pm »

Isn't living in a cavern full of monsters kinda incautious and stupid in and of itself?

It is a world filled with monsters and those caverns also have the most rewards.

Intentionally cutting trees stupidly is more like cutting ones wrists.
Pages: [1] 2