Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alienware...just why.  (Read 1256 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Alienware...just why.
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

Alienware Aurora R4.
It arrived today.
Ordered from Dell.
Now, imagine how happy one is to actually get the pc, (desktop) and connect all the cables, already expecting to turn it on, and play, and play and play games.
Problem...
It goes on the 'Windows is loading'
And then it crashes.
Once.
Twice.
Thrice.
Epsa gives NO answer.
Crashes again.
Inserting disk for reinstalling?
'Missing drivers'
for what?

In the end...
It was thus revealed:
The hard disk was the 2 Terabytes one. But it isn't read by the computer.
Thus it doesn't work to boot.
I am in need of assistance on this matter.
Where are the 'hardware' drivers for hard disks, and how do I get to install them?
(Going on the manufacturer site, while providing a plethora of solutions, made so that NONE worked)
In the end it's clear that something needs to be done. The question is what?
(There are also two optional bootable methods: legacy and Uefi...got no clues on both)
Anyway...
Help!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Alienware...just why.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »

hmm. the 2TB shouldn't have a issue unless its formatted wrong and legacy vs. UEFI boot only matters if the hard drive in question was formatted to GPT table specs. Call up dell on this one, plus why alienware?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:48 pm »

Yes, why Alienware?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:54:52 pm »

It's actually my brother's pc.
Alienware=trendy.
The dell support got an email, hope they'll answer (By the time the pc got 'mounted' and all it was already late at night)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »

If you've not dug deep enough into the internet to realize alienware is junk...
I assume you buy Dell to be trendy?
Guess you dont know trendy is computer slang for rubbish.

A flashy brick is what you baught.

I'm done, I'm not coming back in this thread.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:43:39 pm »

Alienware is a turd overpriced brand and this will just be the start of issues with it.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:28 pm »

lol alienware. If you want a good comp, buy the parts from newegg and assemble it yourself. Hopefully there is a refund policy.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »

Seriously, quit the hate. Whats wrong with you people? It's not even my place to tell people when they're acting terribly. The guy just wanted help. Sure, Alienware is bad. Tell him once, get over it :l
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:29 am »

Meh. They can hate alienware all they want. I actually share the idea with them. It was my brother's money and his idea of pc-trendy, so he gets what he wants and I look from afar...
The point is my brother has a paperweight pc now, and he's whining to me to fix it.
I'm no expert. I 'scurry' the net for solutions (and that is enough, in any average household, to immediately become the pc-fixer for excellence)
All I have are a couple of forums in which they either are told to wait for a dell operator, or are not replied at all. -.-''

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17:42 am »

alright time for me to intervene then. At this point i believe they fucked up the formatting and requires you to rebuild the partition. You are gonna have to reinstall the OS using a disk, is there any important programs on the HD right now that needs to be save?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:10 am »

alright time for me to intervene then. At this point i believe they fucked up the formatting and requires you to rebuild the partition. You are gonna have to reinstall the OS using a disk, is there any important programs on the HD right now that needs to be save?

oh no.
There's nothing in it, at all. (Arrived last night, really, couldn't even go past the loading windows thing)
Only, when I do try to reinstall the OS using the disk bundled together with the pc, it gives the following errors:
"Drivers not found for CD/DVD!" and...that's pretty much it.
I can try and scan the disk, but gives nothing.
When and If I try to use the 'explore' button to try and manually get the drivers from the cd (even though I have no clues what they could be) a sort of display appears with: PArtition X called 'Boot'. Partition C to F called Removable disks (all unaccessible)
Partition X does seem to be a normal windows starting thing, with 'user', 'windows' and so on folders...
but it doesn't work at all!

On another note, further testing showed that the booting way affects something:
in one instance, with UEFI, i have the 'hard disk: hard drive' option as first.
in the over, I have the '2000T hard disk...*followed by numbers and letters*'

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:25 pm »

Problem solved.
Truly, I feel like I should burn down both Dell and those they hire as telephone helpers.
"The Hard Disk isn't read."
"Have you tried inserting the operative system?"
"It doesn't read the disk."
"Have you run the setup?"
"It gives no errors."
"Have you tried inserting the operative system?"
"It doesn't read the disk."
I had this sort of loop conversation with an operator for a while, until I finally caved in and closed the telephone...then did what I thought I'd never do.
I pried open the case and roared at the inner circuitry.
That's when I realized just what the mistake was.
Those god...those id...those bas...those F...
YOU HAVE FOUR FRIGGING SLOTS TO PLACE THE DAMN HARD DISK INTO! FOUR!
YOU NEED TO HAVE IT in the lower LEFT.
No, you have to put it in the lower RIGHT.

God bless Youtube, because without it, I'd still be looking cluelessly around.
So...
in the most anticlimactic way possible...
*push*
*hard disks pops out*
*press*
*hard disks goes in the correct slot*
*pc boots up, and now works*
I'm done.
Next time my brother wants a pc, I'm sending him to the mines to build one from the raw materials.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 04:36:55 pm »

Success! :)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:17:19 am »

I have an alienware computer and it works amazingly for me. I wanted a gaming computer, but didn't want to learn what was good hardware and what wasn't and then have to assemble my computer, so I just bought myself an alienware knowing full well I was paying them 10-20x what it cost them to make it. I can definately see why this situation was a piss off, but I dont see why alienware gets so much hate, if you buy anything that is brand name its going to cost you WAY more than if you knew how to make that product yourself.
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:28 am »

I'm working on building my own rig right now.

And after reading this thread I decided I'd check out the alienware website and well, its really expensive to say the least.

That aurora thing starts at 1500 (practically featureless to start) and the combined things I'm looking at on newegg are 1200.
Pages: [1] 2