Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random/Area-determined Material Creatures.  (Read 941 times)

Auroros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random/Area-determined Material Creatures.
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:58:14 pm »

Well, I want to make a FF4 Mod for Dwarf Fortress (Just love that Game. And Seriously, think about it: Cyclopes vs. Golems, Kobolds vs. Zus, Dwarves vs. Flamehounds...) and I was wondering if it was possible to:

a) Make Golem emerge from normal Rock Walls or
b) Let Golems be generated with Material nearby their Generation Point. (Like Mud Golems, Basalt Golems, Adamantite Golems, Native Gold Golems, Microline Golems etc.)

Magic is not implemented thus far, so I won't bother with Elemental Archfiends and Elemental Dragons just yet (and Red Dragons will be on the third Cavern layer :D).
As soon as I got like 7 Monsters Successfully Implemented, I will let you know.
Thanks in Advance!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:06:02 pm by Auroros »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Random/Area-determined Material Creatures.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:25 pm »

Generally the answer should be no, but there is a way... a mighty complicated one.

Say you want microcline golems (hostile) to spawn from/nearby microcline. What you have to do is this:
Make a custom inorganic mat, name it microcline, it looks like microcline and cant be distinguished from it by the player. only the ID in the raws is different.
Make this mat to be rare and have environment_spec:microcline:single_gem:XYZ
Give it a low boiling point
As soon as a miner digs a big area of microcline he might come across one of those stones that boil away. He is then affected by a syndrome.
the syndrome transforms him into an immobile dwarf for a short time (dwarf stunned by shock as he sees a golem merge from the rock, or something similar for lores sake)
He has one bodypart attached by a melting tissue, drops the bodypart that is fit for animaten shortly after
he also has an interaction to animate that bodypart and transform it into a microcline golem
the golem has the likes_fighting and the crazed tag, so it will be hostile
the transformation of the dwarf ends a few ticks later, so that your miner has enough time to run away.

Problems:
Might not always work
You get a clear warning (has transformed into... a dwarf spotting a golem)
You get some preparation time to get your army down there
Your miner will drop all gear and clothing

Besides that, I am quite sure that this is the only way to do it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Auroros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »

Hm... that for every single Stone/Gem/Metal/Material Material...?
Quite a lot of Work... Perhaps I should go for "Rock Raider Dwarfs" first, or let the Golems come in time with Updates... Hm...
Well, thank you anyways.
But do you really mean, that he loses All of his Clothing as soon as the Golem would Transform?
And would the Golem Reanimate like a Zombie? Because that would actually making EVERY kind of Dwarf Fortress Extraordinary Hard... Especially with Adamantite and Basalt (<--- Lava-Safe) Golems...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:56 pm »

He doenst losse it, he drops it. It will be on the floor. And no, they wont reanimate like zombies, only once from "random bodypart" to "golem type you want". It is only a mechanic to create a creature from scratch.

You can check the DFFD there is a mod that has a golem for each inorganic mat already... I think it is called elementalmen or something along these lines. Once you have everything setup it is only copy pasting and changing one line with the material. But yes, lots of work.

Honestly, I think it is more a theoretical exercise then something that would really work and look nice in a mod.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:36:51 pm »

Nicking this for Persona mod.

Auroros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:45:48 pm »

Then Perhaps I should Go around the Golems for now.
There are other things I can include which are much easier to achieve. Like some Oversized Birds... Or Leviathan... And of Course Chocobos :D
Or If I include Golems I keep them at the ones we have in FF4 ("Stone" (I'll go with Sandstone, which should be at least the right Color Scheme.),Steel and Adamantite, first, second and third Cavern Floor respectably)