Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The best games you HATED the story of?  (Read 2856 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: The best games you HATED the story of?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 10:29:54 pm »

Skyrim.

Solid game mechanics, flexable modding (I am obsessed with tweaking games) make for a fun game.

But centering a fantasy game around slaying dragons made me wince. (Plus it would have been more fun to team up with them and destroy the world, or something unusual like that. But instead you are a goody two-shoes, being unique and special and chosen and part of royalty and all the usual generic fantasy rubbish). I have been chosen by fate far far too many times before, and it is now void of meaning.

I usually prefer a bad story and good play over the opposite though (as gameplay is what you will be doing the majority of the time in virtually every game), so the game was still reasonably entertaining overall.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:09 pm »

But centering a fantasy game around slaying dragons made me wince

Yeah it wasn't. That was actually a HUGE misdirrection.

Though yeah... Skyrim's story was pretty poor... but I am not sure If I'd change my vote since it generally chose to take a weaker story in order to just have a lot of it.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »

Yeah it wasn't. That was actually a HUGE misdirrection.

To be honost, I did not get all that far. It mostly consisted of me launching the game, playing for a bit, killing a dragon or two, getting bored, launching the Construction Kit to tweak anything about the game I wanted changed (while swearing over the fact they diddn't implement something like Lua, and instead went with this awkward Papyrus thing).

Still hated the "story", it was sold as a dragon-slaying-fantasy-simulator. Thankfully I use a friends copy, the trailers chased me away from buying my own copy.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »

Nethack. Oh come on does the game even have plot?

On a more serious note, SKYRIM and OBLIVION are both in the "Hate the story of" category.

Oblivion's plot can't really compare with Morrowind's, what with it being a generic "Hero saves the day" story. Luckily Shivering Isle's plot amended that lack of story thing, being an interesting plotline overall.

Skyrim is much better than Oblivion, but its beauty fades away as you go continue on with the plot. It has a nice framework, yes, but unfortunately, the writers never took advantage of the implications of the Thalmor and such. Instead, halfway through the plot, it becomes a generic "Hero saves the day" story.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:23:52 am »

The biggest issue I have with Skyrim is how meh it resolves stuff. There's this awesome buildup for almost every quest and sidequest you do, crazy hyping and all that stuff, immerses you right into the world.

Then you finish it and go "Wait, was that it, meeeeeeeeh..."

Atleast it was like that for me, or I just have too much free time and imagination that builds up all of this stuff.

Another game which was quite nice but the story was cringe inducing was World in Conflict, especially after you do the second part of the campaigin (in Europe) and then realize how retarded Bannon is for calling you a rookie or whatever when you served with him in Europe and pretty much outdid him in every possible way. That and all the overused tropes and cliches of war movies.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 06:29:03 am »

Tetris. I spent so much time on that game, but I still have no idea what the story is.

Diablo 3. I guess I like the game because I am still playing, but the story was cringe worthy.

And I also agree with Skyrim and Oblivion. I still have yet to see a more open world game done with a good story.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 06:54:32 am »

Mechwarrior 4.
Good missions, I just loved to run around with my lance and blow up other mechs. But this horrible story of the noble noble coming home, seeing his peasants suffer and then trying to regain the planet because he loves his people so much. And being all good and nice, and without flaws and ... I hated the main character. Mercenaries was better, though. Never got my hands on a copy ob Black Knight.

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:17 am »

The second half of Final Fantasy IX. This is my favourite Japanese RPG but the more interesting story-lines just seemed to stop. I don't care about space aliens destroying things, I want more character-based and royal drama!

I can't really think of any other stories for games which I found very annoying, I don't even mind the "it was all a dream" endings because it's the ending, and if the story was still decent until the last minute or so at the end then it's a good story! (I haven't played any of the Mass Effect series- judging by comments on the internet, my opinions in regards to endings might change if I had!)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 09:18:19 am »

Oblivion, most def, altough the gameplay was also rather bland past a certain point.

Demon's Souls was an absolutely awesome game, and while the story was rather original, it was pretty much nonexistant through most of the game and tons of things were left unexplained, which is a pity because the few details we get indicate the story could be pretty interesting. Didn't hurt its awesomeness much though.

Xcom, like everyone else mentioned, pretty much embodies this thread.

All legend of zelda games up to ocarina of time, after that the plot got decent. Before that it was just EVIL THING KIDNAPPED ZELGA/SOME GIRLS AND GANON AND THE TRIFORCE ARE SOMEHOW INVOLVED OMG.

Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones had decent gameplay but lackluster plot, contrasting them with the rest of the series, which usualy have a nice background plot tying the whole thing togheder.

This game called Silver by Infogrames for the PC and dreamcast had some pretty unique and awesome gameplay, but the story was pretty terrible, revolving around the old evil wizard and empire plotline.

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 09:57:19 am »

Advance Wars. Whenever I see quirky smiling characters in the context of war, I really want to see them die horribly. Like you have to be a total asshole to order people to their deaths and have a smile on your face doing it, yet these morons are supposed to be our "protagonists". Like I'd be fine if they were at least portrayed as psychopaths, but they're not. Everyone in the games is totally cool with it. Advance Wars is basically a simpler Panzer General for handhelds, and it would be pretty good if it was just that. But you have to put up with the horseshit "writing" to play it.

GTA4. I don't care about Niko, Roman and whatever other foreigner stereotypes that open their mouth in that game. I just want to shoot and watch people trip over with Euphoria physics, really. The game's writing just didn't have anything to offer that wouldn't be really banal and unfunny.

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. The story was banal as banal gets. You fight the evil Earth Hegemony that's so hell bent on destroying the wonderful Alpha Centauri colonies that they collaborate with pirates, create mutants and attack civilian targets. Worse than the storyline itself were the horribly cheesy FMV cutscenes. Meh actors in front of unconvincing green screened CGI with a bad script. But the gameplay itself was really ahead of its time. Open terrain maps where you had to accomplish a set of objectives using your squad of power-armoured troops. It was something between a simulation and an FPS, and the whole look and feel of the power armour was really awesome. I still replay it from time to time. Just always skip the cutscenes.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 10:40:06 am »

... I am disappointed. Why did nobody mention Minecraft yet?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 10:41:24 am »

Can't really hate something that ain't there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:48 am »

Because a game with "No" story or where the focus is entirely off the story, is one outside the scope of discussion.

It is why "Mario Kart" doesn't get into this discussion for example... or Megaman Soccor.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »

Oh man, Megaman Soccer was great.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 06:38:42 pm »

I'm gonna throw in Metroid: Other M. I consider the gameplay to be fantastic but I don't think I need to go into details about the story. If they used the same engine to make a proper Metroid I would buy it in an instant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3