Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Reddit was down. Now We Hate That Smug Alien Thing.  (Read 6310 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit is down. Hold me!
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 04:23:36 pm »

For those with question i found that.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/partial-amazon-web-service-disruption-takes-down-reddit-others-1106242

2nd time in the year they go down, last time it was a big storm that took them out but bugs in the booting process made the startup more painfull taking the whole week-end to come back online.

Now this seem to be a lesser problem but nonetheless a result of code tempering they did back in june to fix *the outtage booting*. Anyway no ETA are out right now but wild guess would be another24-36hr before its back. If im wrong and its before great! if it takes longuer... i hope they loose all customer and they all move....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 04:29:38 pm »

MSH, judging reddit by those subreddits is like judging 4chan by /b/.
[/b]
I.....didn't mention any subreddits?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

Basically the majority of Reddit is sorta bad, but there are a lot of handy subreddits for games and things that are pretty alright. It's in a weird state of what is considered as 'reddit' is just a community and a handful of intertwined subreddits that does not reflect the majority of other subreddits out there.

It's a social media form I sorta dig, but so do a lot of unsavory people. I'll just wait patiently for the Minecraft and Starcraft reddits to come back online.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »

Okay, someone will have to define this "hugbox" thing to me. From what I've gathered, I find nothing wrong with it; treating others with dignity and respect is hardly something to be ashamed of. But people speak of them similarly to how they speak of echo chambers, where people ostracize any sort of opinion that disagrees with them.

"Demanding others make you feel good" is hardly something bad; that's a basic expectation from any decent human being. Demanding others refrain from any sort of constructive criticism however, would be. So am I right in assuming that a "hugbox" is a place where zero criticism can be made, no matter how valid?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »

That's an echo chamber. "Hugbox", from the name alone, implies more than that.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »

Conservapedia is best described as an open-source case of paranoid schizophrenia.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 05:18:28 pm »

Reddit is great as long as you unsubscribe from all the default subreddits and seek out the ones you're interested in.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »

As someone who uses Reddit daily, I have concrete reasons to hate it.

You know there are sections of reddit other than /r/atheism, /r/politics, and /r/ragecomics (or whatever it is), right?

I mean, /r/news and /r/worldnews have, like, news, for instance.

Ask /r/worldnews about gypsies or Muslims sometime. I guess that's just the comments. As far as the articles go, they tend to upvote trivial things that relate to Reddit's common biases. Suddenly every single woman anywhere who falsely accuses a man of rape is more newsworthy than wars and terrorism could ever be.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:23:26 pm by penguinofhonor »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 05:24:51 pm »

Ask /r/mensrights about lying bitches.

A hugbox is a specific type of echo chamber.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »

Hey, Reddit is back up.

edit: Reddit is no longer back up.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:28:11 pm by penguinofhonor »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 05:27:54 pm »

A hugbox is a specific type of echo chamber.
Yeppers, and I was asking whether my definition of it was valid (IE, one that doesn't allow criticism of people or ideas).

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »

A mod on 4chan stickied a thread about reddit bwa on /b/ first I heard about it, unfortunetly your friendly neighborhood internet service provider doesnt have any fucks to give.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 06:34:13 pm »

Hey, Reddit is back up.

edit: Reddit is no longer back up.

It's back! It's back!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:18 pm »

So what is a hugbox in the first place?

And how close are these forums to becomiiing one???
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »

If my definition is correct, the only place on these forums that would be a "hugbox" would be the political threads, as they're quick to beat down any significantly contrary opinions. And I do mean "beat down," not just argue against; those threads can be quite abrasive to conservative leaning folk.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6