Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On multi-racial civilizations and ways to get more sieges and ambushes.  (Read 2269 times)

Kasumi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello.

First of all, I do know the multi-racial civilization topic has been discussed already. I seem to remember the last post on it was somewhat old, and I did not want to start my stay here by necroposting. Please forgive me if I did not search enough or took the wrong decision.

My question is as follows: If I wanted to make a multi-racial civilization, not as a playable one but only to serve as an enemy, would it be enough to add the racial tokens to entity_default? I remember reading this method would result in the game choosing a race at random when playing as them, but would it also do so if the civilization is AI controlled? If so, is there another way to get the same result? I had thought of castes, but from what I have read even if I go out of my way to make both male and female members for each caste they will cross breed and have offspring depending on the caste system instead of inside their own species. Is that taken into consideration when deciding the composition of an ambush or siege, or is that decided on the fly and the result would thus be the same?

As a bonus question, is there a way to ensure a steady and constant, and somewhat varied, flow of attacks against my fortress other than adding many civilizations in the hope of having them all hate me?

Thank you for your time, and again I'm sorry if the question is too basic.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: On multi-racial civilizations and ways to get more sieges and ambushes.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:47 pm »

This might help you:

Download Genesis
Look at the races, especially the caste system of the invader only creatures
Look at the graphics for them
Magic happens
Multi-race invaders

How is it possible ? By giving them a natural skill in the castes. All goblins will get lasher skill, all elves archer skill, all dwarves axe skill, all humans pike skill. Make them all just diffferent castes of the same creature, and you will get one invasion with all four races working together. Simple as that. By using caste-specific sprites you can even give them proper graphics.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »

This might help you:

Download Genesis
Magic happens
Multi-race invaders

How is it possible ? By giving them a natural skill in the castes. All goblins will get lasher skill, all elves archer skill, all dwarves axe skill, all humans pike skill. Make them all just diffferent castes of the same creature, and you will get one invasion with all four races working together. Simple as that. By using caste-specific sprites you can even give them proper graphics.

... and then mama elf and papa goblin marry and have a bunch of kids - two orcs, two elves and a dwarf.

Meh.

I really don't like this way of doing it - it screws up Legends mode very, very badly. Consequently, when I'm using Genesis, I just mod this part out.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:58:09 pm »

as long as it is not your homeciv it shouldnt matter. But then again I tend to disregard adv. mode and legends completely and just focus on Fortress mode.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kasumi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:48:48 pm »

@ Meph

I thank you for your answer. I did check the mod you did suggest but as far as I can tell it simply uses the caste method. Am I missing the importance of a particular token that restricts reproduction so that castes can only mate among themselves and produce offspring of the same caste? I am sorry for misunderstanding you, if so.

Otherwise, I have used the caste system in such a way to experiment with a couple of creepy concepts that were at peace with either the weird inter-caste reproduction or the breeding caste concept. Now I am looking into ways compatible with the idea of a multi-racial entity in which every race or caste is still only able to reproduce within itself, and I fear for the sake of brevity I may have explained too little on my previous post.

Can such an effect be obtained through the use of race tokens on the entity description as long as the civilization is not being played or by use of a particular token in the caste descriptions, or maybe by some other method I have not yet contemplated? Once more, please forgive me if that's what you were pointing at and I failed to see what you meant. And forgive me also if this post sounds confrontational, as nothing is further away from my intention.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:52:40 pm by Kasumi »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »

token that restricts reproduction so that castes can only mate among themselves and produce offspring of the same caste?
This is not possible, any caste will give birth to any caste. You can only restrict the realtion (lets say 10% caste 1, 90% caste 2) but nothing else.

If you give one entity file multiple creatures you will end up with different civs of single creature types. If you have entity_greenskin and assign goblins, orcs and trolls to it, you will end up with one civ entirely of goblins OR orcs, OR trolls. If you create several civs they will be treated as such, but invasions will still be of a single race at a time.

You are correct that the mod I pointed to uses the caste method, and besides hacking (dfusion) there is no way through modding to achieve what you want. At least no way that I know of. And I have to note that you are extremely polite. Love the DF forum for such people ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:37 pm »

This might help you:

Download Genesis
Magic happens
Multi-race invaders

Castes can't have sprites. Only professions do, and thankfully that's your method.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »

You could have multiple civs that have inter-migration or common conquering during worldgen, or make most races pets for one. The first might not do anything, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:43 am »

This might help you:

Download Genesis
Magic happens
Multi-race invaders

Castes can't have sprites. Only professions do, and thankfully that's your method.
You are right, that is what I meant. Give each caste a natural skill, that corresponds with the fitting profession you want your caste to have.

Vaguely related, you can give sprites caste specific colors ^^

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:03:03 am »

Vaguely related, you can give sprites caste specific colors ^^

I think there was someone here who used RGB sprites to produce different sprites depending on what color was used. Was basically a red, green and blue picture overlapping eachother.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:59 am »

It doesn't work like that. You cannot make different sprites with different colors because DF sprites are simple png/bmp images.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 05:13:01 pm »

It doesn't work like that. You cannot make different sprites with different colors because DF sprites are simple png/bmp images.

No, it was a situation like "have a rodent, make its body count as "background color" on the graphics sheet, make the background color the same as foreground and now you have a worm".

Kasumi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 01:15:04 am »

@ Meph

Thank you, both for the clarification and the compliment.

@ GreatWyrmGold

I am grateful for your answer. If I may I would like to ask you a few more questions, following from the ideas you gave me: Can a creature with the [INTELLIGENT] token be given [PET], [EXOTIC_PET], or [TRAINABLE_WAR]? If so, would every entity with the matching pet using token be able to field them or would only those with the [ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE] token be able to do so? Following this line of thought, would for example a Dwarf who has been trapped in a cage and who has the [PET] or [EXOTIC_PET] token be eligible for taming and training as other creatures are?

Thank you in advance for your answers, and for your time.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 01:39:21 am »

Oh boy, the slavery thing again.

Solutions:
Make a caste that has pet, it will not do labor but give birth to all castes, even non-pet castes. These castes can be bought at embark/caravans if common_domestic, will act like a pet in any regard (butchering even) but will give birth to normal dwarves.

Make a creature with 3 castes, 2 pet, male, female, pop_ratio:1 and one caste intelligent, non-pet with pop-ratio:999999 and an interaction to transform it automatically into a dwarf. Besides weird naming issues and non-slabable ghosts (dont know if this might have been fixed inr recent releases) you get a working member of society.

Actual conversion of trapped invaders is not possible as far as I know, except maby dfusion (cheating)

Intelligent & Pet will result in a skill-learning, non-labor-doing pet btw that will sooner or later become mayor, because all it does is hang around and train social skills ^^

Kasumi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 02:10:33 am »

@ Meph

Thank you very much for the explanation, and for your patience as well.
Pages: [1] 2