Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: strategic trap  (Read 633 times)

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
strategic trap
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:26 am »

In Dwarf Fortress can create a lot of different traps, but even so, some do not. For example:

1. Rolling stones or logs.
Let's say, you can set a trap Rolling on the mountain. When activated, the right arm, they start to slide in the direction of the adjacent tile, which has a slope. And the cattle of the slope, can move on a flat surface is 5-2 tiles depending on the soil, obstacles, and how long the fall.

2. Hot tar.
Traps over the corridor (from the bottom will take enemies) makes a huge cauldron with burning pitch.
(+) - The enemies are hit by severe burning resin.
(+) - All the things the enemy melts unfit for use.
(-) - To maintain the temperature of hot tar. Therefore rekomekduetsya use only in the defense of the siege.

3. Burning. Not trap, but ...
Burn straw, wood, dry grass etc. with flint or burning arrows. This is sorely missed, for an overall strategy. Fire is cool.

4. Container with small stones for the defense of the siege.
Razdrodit stone into smaller pieces and then put them in the right container, and this container is set on the ramparts. And then, during the siege, the dwarves could throw off emp stones at those who would naoditsya under the wall.

I think a lot of things you can think of. Develop the idea. Add to the list of defensive traps :)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: strategic trap
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:31 pm »

Suggested before and already in development log.

In fact, more/better traps are one of the top things listed in the Eternal Suggestion Vote...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:59 pm »

The current traps are largely just placeholders that are going to be exchanged later, of special note are cage traps which have had a lot of discussion about them. Mine carts are a major step in the direction of physics based traps, I expect to see some more similar stuff to spring out now that the framework is in place.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:05:52 pm »

Yeah, Toady plans to take traps apart into  multiple trap components, allowing for much more creativity.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:41:25 am »

You can have minecart traps now in that same way that you want log traps. :/
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 06:16:59 am »

When I saw strategic trap I thought it was going to be a military suggestion. Like sending out a couple of soldiers to lure a group of enemies into a chase that would bring them into an ambush situation.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:19:56 am »

When I saw strategic trap I thought it was going to be a military suggestion. Like sending out a couple of soldiers to lure a group of enemies into a chase that would bring them into an ambush situation.
I believe military ambushes of that sort have already been implemented.. by tactically-minded overseers :)
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:09:10 am »

I believe military ambushes of that sort have already been implemented.. by tactically-minded overseers :)

"Ok, kitty. This is your big moment. Go out the gate and meow at the goblins then run right back passed here, double time. If we can pull this off there's medals for us both."
"Meow!"