Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The worst games you ever LOVED the story of?  (Read 7618 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The worst games you ever LOVED the story of?
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:27:00 pm »

So I was thinking about the one of the deepest psychological stories I ever seen, one that I thought was almost criminally underappreciated and will go down in history as an unknown game played by no one... and even then most people didn't get the greater story.

This game being D2 (Dracula 2) which had nothing to do with the first game except having the same "Videogame actress". It had a ingeniusly subtle story that it outright didn't tell you and disguised it with a very overt steriotypical story ontop.

The true story was about

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I thought about why this game was probably disliked and It occured to me. The gameplay is bad. The gameplay is so bad that if I had played it, instead of watching a letsplay, I probably would hate the game right now.

Though can we love a game for one thing but not the other?

So here it is:

What is the worst, absolute worst, game you know or played that you actually loved the story of?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: The worst games you ever LOVED the story of?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.  Actually no, I loved it.  But the subtle story was nice!

Although to be honest, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess shouldn't have advertized itself as a zelda game.  Virtually no sidequests, linear dungeons, meh.  It had some nice fights, but the game itself wasn't a Zelda game.  Sure you could roam an open map, but there was only ever really one thing to do.  No Bigoron's Sword, no crazy masks, no item upgrades...

But I liked the story.  Ganondorf, sealed in a desert prison by having a sword of light thrust through his heart and impale him on a stone.  Banished to an entirely other world, which became HIS world!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »

XIII

The game was not bad... if a bit bland and buggy at times.
However the political fiction story kept me from deleting it before completion.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:30:39 pm »

Your last two threads here contain the words "the worst games" in the title :P

Anyway, I'm going to say Star Ocean for the SNES. I found the gameplay very bland and repetitive, but loved the story. Now that I think about it, I could say the exact same thing about the .hack games.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:24 pm »

Every Silent Hill game.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:44:47 pm »

Your last two threads here contain the words "the worst games" in the title :P

Anyway, I'm going to say Star Ocean for the SNES. I found the gameplay very bland and repetitive, but loved the story. Now that I think about it, I could say the exact same thing about the .hack games.

Yes it does.

I don't think it is possible for me to connect to people on a possitive basis anyway because someone already done it or does it better.

If I ever did a possitive topic it would just be instantly ignored and forgotten.

This is easier to connect to because everyone has that game they absolutely love but felt like its gameplay was holding it back.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »

Legend of Kartia

It wasn't so much bad as it was kind of bland. Then again the story wasn't so much good as oddly compelling.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:01:42 pm »

Yume Nikki.

Seriously, fuck the "huge landscapes"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »

the medal of honor reboot actually had a pretty decent story in my opinion. That's why its multiplayer just made me mad cause it sucked.

Umm sly 2 for the ps2 had a good story but this was when i was like 10 soo.... and the gameplay wasn't great

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »

Don't bash me but Diablo 3 is a game i hated but still finished just for the story, i wanted to know what happent to the lore and franckly was interesting to say the least story-wise. See "Sit a while and listen" die really gave me a grim feeling i didnt felt in some time, last time was when i learned my mom had cancer ( Ok the grim feeling about the game wasnt as big as my mom news tho... )
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 11:14:27 pm »

Don't bash me but Diablo 3 is a game i hated but still finished just for the story, i wanted to know what happent to the lore and franckly was interesting to say the least story-wise. See "Sit a while and listen" die really gave me a grim feeling i didnt felt in some time, last time was when i learned my mom had cancer ( Ok the grim feeling about the game wasnt as big as my mom news tho... )

Lucky for you Diablo 3 has a huge expansion/sequel opening. (probably just an expansion). In two ways.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 11:21:52 pm »

I thought the black sun medallion and occult stuff in Wolfenstein added nice atmosphere, and the mission scenarios were very entertaining. However, having unlockables in-mission forced you to either play the missions twice (ruining the suspense) or take every mission painfully slowly, looking at everything on the way by (ruining the pacing). Plus, the city you had to trawl over between every mission only served to shatter the plot flow that much more.

On the other side, Star Control 3 had some pretty decent gameplay ideas that could have been more developed had they not chosen to shamelessly rip on someone else's universe and lore. I always wondered if they actually made it all from scratch or pulled a Starship Troopers and just slapped a name brand on a similar game they already had.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 02:50:29 am »

Almost every JRPG considered good. Seriously, it's like the gameplay exists for the sole purpose add artificial and redundant padding between pieces of story, for the sole purpose of preventing the player from completing the game in 1 hour. I would have preffered the game just take 1 hour (with the gameplay stripped) with an interesting story, than stretch the game by making me hit attack over and over and increasing a few integers over the course of hours.

Good JRPG's are about the metaphorical equivelant of reading a page of a good book, but in order to advance to the next page you are required to do menial tasks for no apparent reason.

To The Moon as an example of good a JRPG done right. It had no gameplay, and enjoyment of the story was unobscured because of it.

Also Cryostasis. The gameplay wasn't bad per se, but the game was laggy and buggy making the gameplay quite fiddly and annoying. If it were not for the bugs/lag, the gameplay would have been only decent, but still reasonably enjoyable. The game does well at creating a nice atmosphere, and has a pretty unusual story to tell.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:18 am »

EDIT:: Found games name... Fragile Dreams ((Wii))

There is a game on the Wii which is a Lite Suvival Horror game. You are a young man who was one of the only people left on the world. After your only companion dies you discover his last request that you head towards Tokyo Tower. Ghosts of those that died in the end of the world appear and you fight them off with the Wii Controller flashlight and some melee weapon of sorts...

You travel an overgrown and decayed city alone except for these ghosts that harrass you. One of the first true 'dungeon' is that of a subway station down there you meet a Backpack AI helper thing and you travel through the subway together. The AI the only voice that gives this dead world life. Near the end of the level you discover that the AI's powersupply was nearly dead when you met and with no way to recover it the AI dies and once again returns the player to a lonely world...

At different parts of the game you find these thing called memory items which have stored the laet thoughts of the owner. In the second level you find things like a leash and collar and after the thrid memory you realise that ita the dog thats giving the memory not the owner. The story it told broke me down. I could never finish it...

Watch this to find out the scene I am talking about... (the game is spoke in Japanese in this video. Game can be set to either in their Menu I believe...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13vtK7iByPM

I can not remeber the name of it off the top of my head atm but yeah...

Dreaming or Dream Memories or something of the like...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:03:26 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 04:47:10 am »

Almost every JRPG considered good. Seriously, it's like the gameplay exists for the sole purpose add artificial and redundant padding between pieces of story, for the sole purpose of preventing the player from completing the game in 1 hour. I would have preffered the game just take 1 hour (with the gameplay stripped) with an interesting story, than stretch the game by making me hit attack over and over and increasing a few integers over the course of hours.

Good JRPG's are about the metaphorical equivelant of reading a page of a good book, but in order to advance to the next page you are required to do menial tasks for no apparent reason.

Not to derail, but if you feel this way, why don't you just read a book?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4