Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Black Chicken Studios + Ars Magica + Kickstarter = Awesome  (Read 10840 times)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Black Chicken Studios + Ars Magica + Kickstarter = Awesome
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:34:12 pm »

So, I didn't think I'd ever be shilling like this, but the perfect storm has happened.

Black Chicken Studios, the guys behind the interactive novels/life simulations  Academagia (here on our forum) and 1931: Scheherazade have gotten their hands on the IP I've always thought would be perfect for them: Ars Magica . And they have responded in the way that indie game designers do in situations like this these days: they have started a Kickstarter Campaign!

I have already thrown a massive amount of money at my screen for this; I encourage others to do so, as well. Right now, Kicktraq says they're trending to $200,000, or a hefty chunk under the $290,000 they're aiming for. I'm hoping that getting the word out will help boost that number. The Ars Magica IP is a niche product, and BCS makes niche games, but they're both niches I love, and I think a lot of folks in these parts do, too.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Black Chicken Studios + Ars Magica + Kickstarter = Awesome
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:30:33 pm »

For those who don't know, Ars Magica is a pen-and-paper RPG set in an alternative/fantasy historical setting.  In the shadows of human society, mages, witches and wizards walk amongst the population, along with demons and fae and all the other supernatural goodies.

In truth, its the stand-alone predicessor to White Wolf's Mage: The Ascension game, with alot of overlap between the termonology and whatnot.  I found it quite cool as an RPG.  I hope the kickstarter goes well.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:31 pm »

In truth, its the stand-alone predicessor to White Wolf's Mage: The Ascension game, with alot of overlap between the termonology and whatnot.  I found it quite cool as an RPG.  I hope the kickstarter goes well.

The historical relationship between AM and WoD is... complicated. Lion Rampant was the company under Jonathan Tweet that created Ars Magica. It merged with White Wolf Magazine in '91, before WW was making its own games. That company eventually became the White Wolf that created all of the World of Darkness IP, and, at that point, they started trying to integrate the AM IP with it, which is why one of the Vampire Clans was Tremere and Mage has the Order of Hermes from AM as one of the paths the characters can cover.

For reasons that I've never been privy to, WW sold the rights to AM off to WotC shortly after they got the World of Darkness products out, who then sold it to Atlas Games, who are responsible for the 4th and 5th editions of Ars Magica, which greatly reduced the Vampire-related overtones to House Tremere that was part of the AM->WoD connection.

Soyeah. The version of AM that will be implemented in this game will still have some rules and stats that Mage players might recognize, but AM and WoD are like divorced lovers that have long since moved on.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:34:14 am »

Ohh Academimagica that I cannot spell...

I want that game so bad but at the same time I absolutely do not want to play it no matter what happens.

I almost suggest they just consider the game done and finished right now since the game really has no where to go. You can end the first year pretty much being nearly almighty with the game being too complex and yet not complex enough. I feel like I could write for it, while at the same time like I could never do it justice.

*Checks to see donation*

Ohh yeah... now I remember why I don't donate to kickstarters >_<

because Kickstarter makes me jump through more then one hoop.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:51:38 am by Neonivek »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:25 am »

it looks really good and i plan on kickstarting, i love stuff like this.

i do like the idea that not only do you have your self to look after but a whole bunch of other people as well.

Are there dark magics at all ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:29:57 am »

Are there dark magics at all ?
Can you define "dark magics"? There are ways to control the behavior and memories of others, maim/wound others, make people feel constant pain...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:32:15 am »

Yeah human sacrifice, demon summoning, constant pain, cursing, spells which are generally evil
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:37:56 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »

Oh yeah I absolutely loved the 3rd edition(? i think) Ars Magica rules with spell schools and all. However I have a hard time imagining how it will fit in a game context since the major part of the fun comes from the players creativity with mix and matching schools. Something like the Magica system is pretty limited since all the combinations are scripted. We are not only talking only destructive/defensive spells here, whole schools had pretty subtle effects. I'll form an opinion when I hear more about their plans.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »

Yeah human sacrifice, demon summoning, constant pain, cursing, spells which are generally evil
Human sacrifice generally doesn't do anything to help power Hermetic spells, though there's nothing preventing you from killing people for fun. Demon summoning isn't part of the 5th edition spell set they've promised to implement, but I'd be shocked if they got through the game without having adventures where players can do down the diabolic path. Spells of pain and destruction they will have a-plenty.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:47 pm »

Oh yeah I absolutely loved the 3rd edition(? i think) Ars Magica rules with spell schools and all. However I have a hard time imagining how it will fit in a game context since the major part of the fun comes from the players creativity with mix and matching schools. Something like the Magica system is pretty limited since all the combinations are scripted. We are not only talking only destructive/defensive spells here, whole schools had pretty subtle effects. I'll form an opinion when I hear more about their plans.

You're right, you're definitely going to lose the flexibility. I believe what they've said so far is that they'll implement all the spells that are in the 5th ed Core rules, and also allow you to create all of those effects spontaneously. So, at release, you'll have something that still has more magical flexibility than any other computer game I can think of, but less than you have in an actual GMed AM game.

Now for my conjecture. Based on how BCS handles Academagia, I fully expect that they will keep releasing new spells in free DLC after release. I also won't be surprised if they make the game sufficiently moddable that the community can start feeding in spells from other sourcebooks, and people who have their own favorite spell effects can implement those.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »

when it comes to flexibility and creativity, nothing beats a real GM'd game. Now I only ask they make resizable fonts on the UI. I never got around to play academagia for more than 20 minutes because the font is so goddamn tiny.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:47 pm »

when it comes to flexibility and creativity, nothing beats a real GM'd game. Now I only ask they make resizable fonts on the UI. I never got around to play academagia for more than 20 minutes because the font is so goddamn tiny.

Yeah but if there is one thing games can do then a real GM'd game... it is that they are many times faster

You know that very short example of interconnectivity he gave involving a king and three academies? that would have probably taken several games in real life... but was probably just five minutes of gameplay. At the same time I am betting even though the creators explained how it worked, in game you won't know the context for why any of that just happened (one of the largest flaws of games like this in my oppinion. Yes every NPC has a reason for what they do, but you will never know that unless the game is hopelessly simple and exploitable).

I do love pen and paper RPGs though. Even if they suffer from "Leave the Car Syndrome" online.

---

Reading more it seems like this game has a LOT more in common with Academagia then it would first seem. There are spells that are JUST for dialog choices... called "Adventure spells". (In fact looking at their other games more closely. They are all made with the same system, and this one will likely be done that way too)

---

Also if you want the spells in 5th addition but not the core... they said something along the lines as "Possible stretch goals"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:50:41 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:36 pm »

I had to read a bit and this is important enough for people who are looking into this

It WILL be using the exact same engine as Academagia.

So if you didn't like that game you probably won't like this one.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »

I had to read a bit and this is important enough for people who are looking into this

It WILL be using the exact same engine as Academagia.

So if you didn't like that game you probably won't like this one.
I got the impression that they'd be using the Year Two engine. They've also talked about how the interface would need major changes, probably involving more maps. They noted KoDP as an inspiration for that side of things. I think once we get some of the interface concepts, that'll better inform how similar playing the two feels. While I enjoyed Academagia, it was a whole lot of looking at sets of dropdown boxes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5