Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Black Chicken Studios + Ars Magica + Kickstarter = Awesome  (Read 10829 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Chicken Studios + Ars Magica + Kickstarter = Awesome
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »

I am seriously worried they won't get the funding...

But then again I have NEVER thought a game would get its funding when it was slow at first.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:28 pm »

I am seriously worried they won't get the funding...

But then again I have NEVER thought a game would get its funding when it was slow at first.

Oh, they almost certainly won't. They didn't have their shit together for a serious KS campaign, so I'm hoping that, in another three weeks, when this one closes at maybe 50%, they'll have a backlog of assets and experience in the dos and don'ts of Kickstarter that they'll be able to reboot and have a more successful run.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 02:18:58 am »

Unless today's update contains some amazing stuff. They did say they were going to post some in game(?) stuff today
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 07:23:15 am »

Unless today's update contains some amazing stuff. They did say they were going to post some in game(?) stuff today
That would be the screenshot they posted last night, I believe. That was the Tuesday update a few hours early, I'm pretty sure.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:12 am »

That would be the screenshot they posted last night, I believe. That was the Tuesday update a few hours early, I'm pretty sure.

that would be the one, although to be honest the 1 screen shot they posted was good but rather shitacular i was expecting atleast a few screen shots and a whole update dedicated to explaining how the game will run and the interface and what will happen this then and when
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 09:03:57 am »

that would be the one, although to be honest the 1 screen shot they posted was good but rather shitacular i was expecting atleast a few screen shots and a whole update dedicated to explaining how the game will run and the interface and what will happen this then and when

My understanding is that they simply don't *have* that stuff yet. Based on interviews and their forums and this KS, here's basically how they went about the process:

1) BCS had this idea of making an AM game.
2) BCS went to Atlas with a pitch; Atlas said yes.
3) BCS starts designing.
4) BCS realized they needed additional funds to make the game happen, so they started a Kickstarter.

So, from what I understand, almost no assets are done yet... I don't know how they work, so maybe their graphics folks don't sketch before building, but the distinct impression I've gotten is that they just started their KS campaign too early, so they didn't really have assets queued up that they could release to generate interest in the early stage of it. (Which is why I think the best-case result is that they finish the next 2.5 weeks and then relaunch a new KS, at which point they'll at least have several weeks of assets that they generated during *this* Kickstarter to work with.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 10:13:55 am »

What is hillarious is if you read the comment section you will see things like people saying "Maybe a screen shot would help" and the developers going "ohh yeah, that is a good idea"

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 09:29:13 pm »

Another update over at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game
this time, the topic is combat.

It looks like they had a funding boost today from mentions over at Project Obsidian. Yay for a surge!

Also, I've had conversations with some of the BCS guys, and I think there may be an interesting interview coming up in the future... stay tuned!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game/posts/342928?ref=email&show_token=ec1ff631ceccc177

Today's update is on what the Schism War (the major event that will be the backdrop for the game) is. In addition, there's an interview with a suspiciously familiar character.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2012, 10:45:10 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game/posts/342928?ref=email&show_token=ec1ff631ceccc177

Today's update is on what the Schism War (the major event that will be the backdrop for the game) is. In addition, there's an interview with a suspiciously familiar character.

Oh, right, my real name isn't used on these boards. The joke is: the interview is with me.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:22 pm »

I hope they don't get discouraged once the KS fails to get funded. The whole deal looks nice, but they were a bit weak on the actual KS campaign. I'm pretty sure if they did it again later with more focused campaign once they have more to show, it might be far more successful.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:37 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game/posts/345263

The newest update covers how decisions are made among the group of magi you reside with, and the complexities in reaching consensus, and the potential for long-term complications.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2012, 11:09:25 pm »

A major update today to an area near and dear to most of our hearts: the combat interface!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game/posts/346921

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2012, 11:10:10 pm »

Still REALLY hope they just redo this when they are ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2012, 04:02:07 pm »

Here is important detail

They won't restart the Kickstarter if it fails.

So once this fails the game will cease to be.

Apperantly Black Chicken Studios thought that Ars Magica had soo many fans that simply saying "This is a Ars Magica game" would summon tons of them. That is why they had nothing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5