Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engravings worthy of your Fortress  (Read 1886 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Engravings worthy of your Fortress
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:46:48 pm »

The underground tunnel that any southbound army/caravan travelling through my Fortress has to travel is a mad tapestry of engravings, enough to make you sick. There are images of civilizations, historical battles, the slain and fallen of the fort, masterworks, artifacts and monumental victories. But right at the end, below the ramps leading up to the surface, is a masterwork engraving.

I like to think that at the very end is the Dwarven equivalent of calling the goblin's mother a bewitched vegetable.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Engravings worthy of your Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:20:24 am »

I wish I got good engravings. Most of them are crap. Some guy becoming expedition leader or losing some post. Never seen the likes of boatmurdered either. Engravings where animals kill dwarves or something. I usually spam engravings all over when Im bored so I might sift through one of my forts later on when I have time though. Thinking of letting loads of dwarves die while the engraver watches, maybe that will produce sufficient results.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:23:58 am »

I rarely bothers to engrave, but I love seeing those kind of details in crafts I exports. Or just decorated ropes I uses in lieu of proper engraving with constructed spots :D

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:14 am »

Wasn't an engraving, was a statue but still funny. The image is of Urist McLeader. Urist McLeader looks dejected. The artwork represents Urist McLeader being removed from Expedition Leader in the year 10.

Cereus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:20:20 pm »

The entrance to my current fort is plastered with images of this one white tigerwoman who apparently killed a dragon in legends. There's like three different masterful engravings of her having her left 4th toe bitten off and two others depicting her beheading the dragon with a mithril scythe. Which is pretty badass. Interestingly, she's still alive, so if she ever sieges my fort I'm locking her in a cage in the dining room or throwing her in my gladiator arena.

Then there's the results of the latest siege engraved all over my new dining hall.... Much was recorded of my boozebelly goat that accidentally got a title by killing two goblins when I forgot to bring my animals into the bunker. Generally my engravings aren't interesting, though one of my engravers loves to carve images of the four forgotten beasts I've had this fort.
(I play with masterwork mod)

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still mad at you, Sikis. Yeah yeah, I bet you're laughing it up back in your kobold-cave with your kobold buddies about how you stole my artifact short sword. You'll get what's coming to you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:28:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still mad at you, Sikis. Yeah yeah, I bet you're laughing it up back in your kobold-cave with your kobold buddies about how you stole my artifact short sword. You'll get what's coming to you.
That's the second Kobold I've heard of stealing artifact swords. Not as bad as Kommandobold mind you, but quite horrifying. Hide yo swords.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:15 pm »

That's the second Kobold I've heard of stealing artifact swords. Not as bad as Kommandobold mind you, but quite horrifying. Hide yo swords.

Do thieves target your most valuable items? It seems like it would be quite a coincidence that he would just happen to steal my artifact sword.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:33:16 pm »

Do thieves target your most valuable items? It seems like it would be quite a coincidence that he would just happen to steal my artifact sword.

Yep. In Kommandobold's case, it stole an artifact candy sword. Which just so happened to open the clown fortress.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »

I had the "Goblin making a plaintive gesture" one on a craft item, I saved that one instead of selling it 'cos it made me laugh :D It also mentioned specifically that he was wounded mortally by a giant copper disc.

Another one of my favourites was the same image over and over of the same Dwarf devouring plump helmets. Clearly his mates think he's fat, greedy git :D

Also, a historical one in the otherwise cheerful dining room made me chuckle for how inappropriate it was. It was something like "This image shows a Dwarf and a Night Creature. The Night Creature is grimacing. The Dwarf is laughing. The engraving represents the smashing of the Night Creature's Upper Left Arm by the Dwarf in 252."

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »

I generally take all the engravings of the series of "removaled from office" of the line of elected and removed mayors and put them in the current mayor's bedroom.  It's kind of a morale booster, I think!

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:57 pm »

My engraver seems mostly to be obsessed with Night Creatures.  Decorating a dining room?  Man of Night!  A meeting hall?  Howling monster!  A child's bedroom?  Shrieking hag!  Sleep tight, kiddies!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:25 pm »

I think I'm going to mod Sheila Na Gigs in as decorations.  Try sleeping with THAT staring at you!

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »

In my current fortress, Godlymanor, there are at least 4 engravings of a certain dragon striking down a bunch of elves in a time past. Honestly, this happens in all my forts, even in different worlds. The dwarves share my enthusiasm of the death of elves :)

Engravings

Six kills, seven engravings. Two are of the same event, and one engraving's the removal of a hand, but heck. There's also some of this dragon killing humans too (not pictured)

... I wanna make a joke about elves not paying the taxes, but that sounds so cheesy :P

Edit: Just had an entire noble's room engraved, and about 30% of them were "D"s. Diamond Taxes really killed a lot of people and elves, becoming infamous for it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:52:17 pm by pbnjoe »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 04:50:15 am »

My engraver seems mostly to be obsessed with Night Creatures.  Decorating a dining room?  Man of Night!  A meeting hall?  Howling monster!  A child's bedroom?  Shrieking hag!  Sleep tight, kiddies!
URIST MCCHILD DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ANYMORE

URIST MCCHILD DOESN'T CARE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH