Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: They won't bury a dwarf?  (Read 1867 times)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They won't bury a dwarf?
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:33:26 pm »

I was going about my business, a little while after one of my dwarves went nuts (just couldn't get any yarn for him) and there was a fight. I went down through my z levels and noticed a massive cloud of miasma. Turned out there was a dwarf who died that wasn't buried.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I find it odd, because I have a coffin that is built, with "use for burial" enabled and citizens allowed to be buried. I also have him set to be dumped, and they're ignoring that as well.

Anyone know why?

fake edit: Just tried to set the coffin as a tomb and assigning him to it, but the dwarves are ignoring it, letting this dead baby lay face down in the workshop. What gives?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:41:30 pm by pbnjoe »

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
Re: They won't bury a dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:40:22 pm »

I see the skeleton marked for dumping, try to toggle D.

Edit: My bad, i shouldn't post when tired.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:56:37 pm by Triccispicci »

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »

I also have him set to be dumped, and they're ignoring that as well.

;)

But yeah, unmarking that doesn't do anything.

Edit: Though I know what you mean, at this point I just want them to move him.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:16:42 pm by pbnjoe »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »

Is the corpse forbidden?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:11:44 pm »

Is the corpse forbidden?

Nope. Permitted as can be.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »

Maybe they can't reach the corpse, try removing the workshop.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:39:01 pm »

That did the trick, thank you very much :D They're sending the baby off to the catacombs now.

Edit: Instead of starting a new thread so quickly, will just say it here. The dwarven caravan just came, and I'm sure they have at least 6 carts :o
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:50:24 pm by pbnjoe »

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »

That did the trick, thank you very much :D They're sending the baby off to the catacombs now.

Edit: Instead of starting a new thread so quickly, will just say it here. The dwarven caravan just came, and I'm sure they have at least 6 carts :o

Are any of them racing around like they're pulled by twelve cylinders instead of two oxen? Because that bug is my favorite thing about carts, honestly.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »

Looks like the corpse was on one of the impassable tiles of the workshop. If anything ends up on those, it gets stuck because the dwarf can't get into the same tile as the object to pick it up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:34:26 am »

Are any of them racing around like they're pulled by twelve cylinders instead of two oxen? Because that bug is my favorite thing about carts, honestly.

Yeah, one honestly looked like it was ripping donuts as they left :P

Looks like the corpse was on one of the impassable tiles of the workshop. If anything ends up on those, it gets stuck because the dwarf can't get into the same tile as the object to pick it up.

Ok, that makes sense. ... So basically, dwarves need to straddle every object they pick up? That's an amusing mental image :D No wonder they have to move so slow when moving things, since they'd need to waddle everywhere.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:24:35 am »

Lift with the legs, not with the arms.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:20:50 pm »

I'm just wondering how the corpse got there in the first place...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »

Judging from blood smear, I'm guessing either dropped from above and died ( unlikely but I've had it happen outside ), the body got thrown by tantrumming dwarf, or something was up there fighting it and got it stuck there.

I'm sure it's probably something more mundane :D

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 01:58:40 pm »

I misread the title of this thread. Thought it said, "They won't buy a dwarf?"
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 02:05:48 pm »

I'm just wondering how the corpse got there in the first place...
Judging from blood smear, I'm guessing either dropped from above and died ( unlikely but I've had it happen outside ), the body got thrown by tantrumming dwarf, or something was up there fighting it and got it stuck there.

I'm sure it's probably something more mundane :D

Yeah, it was the child of the tantrumming dwarf I believe, so the poor thing probably got hurled onto the counter when the mother was tired of waiting for yarn.

I misread the title of this thread. Thought it said, "They won't buy a dwarf?"

Yeah, that'd be more for the modding section, no? :P

Hmm, wondering if I should start a new thread. Wanna talk about the vampire I found in my fort. Should I, or should I just add it here?
Pages: [1] 2