Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Refuse to wear armor over civilian clothing.  (Read 1243 times)

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Refuse to wear armor over civilian clothing.
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:22:10 pm »

Hi all. I got this problem which I believe is a current bug. I got full sets of armor for my dwarfs, but they won't wear it if they are already wearing some civilian clothing in the place the new armor would occupy. For example, they will wear a helm if they don't have a hood on, but they wont wear a breast plate if they have a shirt on. The only way so far I have been able to make then use their armor is to set the uniform to "replace clothing" instead of "over clothing", but this brings new problems with dwarfs that don't get the whole set and run around naked and dwarfs than won't wear a chain mail under their breast plate. But I do find it funny that now I have a bunch of soldiers running completely naked under their armor.

Anyone else got the same problem and managed to resolve it? Is there a fix available? This bug is pretty annoying and I would prefer not to have to micromanage my military armor so much.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Refuse to wear armor over civilian clothing.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:41:01 pm »

A lot of those issues come from the [SHAPED] tag on various items of clothing/armor. Each body part can only wear one [SHAPED] item each, and the list of those includes quite a bit of non-armor items. Leggings, shoes, caps, leather armor, and masks are all shaped, but can be made out of soft materials. It is quite annoying when you lose a perfectly good soldier because he's wearing all metal armor except cloth shoes instead of boots, then gets stabbed in the foot and killed when he gives into pain.

Also, each body part can only support up to a certain amount of total clothing/armor. I'm not quite sure how exactly that works, but it's here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor#Size.2C_Permit.2C_and_layering_armor
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »

So the issue should fix itself if I remove the [SHAPED] tag from all military clothing, to allow for it to be worn overt shaped clothing? I may have to test this, or look for a way to avoid civilian clothing from interfering with military armor.

[EDIT] That doesn't seems to be the problem, as a shirt is not  [SHAPED] and still dwarfs won't wear a breast plate even if they are only wearing a shirt. I will have to look for another fix.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:55:51 pm by CheeseMaker »

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:33:59 am »

In your uniforms tab, change the wear over clothing to replace clothing. Then after change it back to wear over clothing. Now your dwarfs will have both clothes and armor.

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:22 am »

Or You could add a shirt and trousers to the uniform. That way You won't be getting naked military dwarves even if You don't have armor for everyone.
No signature

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 10:11:48 am »

Ive found that armor always behaves oddly. The only true way to survive anything is to abuse training spears constantly poking in thier butts and cage traps all over. Also dont touch the candy. Really, dont touch it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:35:43 am »

The [SHAPED] tag doesn't help, but it's only really a problem for caps as they're the only shaped clothing items, and the real problem here is the layering. The system is complex and I don't really get the steps involved in calculating it, but each body part can only take a certain amount of clothing. This amount is determined by the clothing itself, and each piece has both a size and a permit. The size tells the game how big the item itself is, and the permit tells the game how many of that item can be worn at once (I guess it represents tightness or bulkiness, and serves to stop dwarves from spawning as a ball of robes).

A full set of civilian clothing is almost enough to fill the permits on each body part, but there's just enough room for armour items to confuse and annoy the player.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.