Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: We all know its true...  (Read 6056 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: We all know its true...
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 07:32:45 pm »

I'm quite frankly amazed at how many people are saying Toady should just put off music for another ten years, despite how he could get it out of the way forever in a matter of days. It's like saying you should build a house's frame, add flooring, paint the walls, furnish it, move in, and THEN add shingles to the roof. I'd glady have the next version of DF pushed back for a while fir music to be added, I literally can't comprehend why everyone is saying it should be postponed just so that the bugs get fixed RIGHT NAO.
You're suggesting we paint the walls before adding the roof. Bugs are more important than music. Interface is more important than music. With so many players who turn of DF music and solutions individual players can take to listen to different music, I fail to see how music is a high priority. It's certainly not the shingles on the roof, and we're already in the house.

And as in for whether I have experience writing music, I can't claim to have much experience with. However, I was under the impression that Toady plays an instrument (can't think of the name off the top of my head) and I'd be willing to bet that he already knows a few good songs that he could record and then add.
He could. Does he need to? No. Does he WANT to? If he did, he probably would have already. As you say, it's not rocket science.

And GreatWyrmGold, almost every time you post I become more convinced that you're a troll. Time and time again people have told you to stop being so harsh, listen to others' posts, and stop dismissing suggestions as being worthless, stupid, and nothing but spam. And then every single time you've shrugged off what they said and convinced yourself that like the thread, they're just stupid.

I don't know why I'm bothering to say this, as you'll more than likely not even listen, but please try to stop coming across as a thoughless jerk. Your excuse is always "I'm blunt", and you are. That's not why people are pissed. It's your rude remarks that accomplish nothing and just anger whoever they're directed at that annoy everyone.
I try to listen. You are guilty of all you accuse me of, too. That makes this whole thing harder. Why not explain why music is more important than bugs or features? I'm very interested in your answer.

Goomba: Why must you strawman me? A suggestion which would add a little to the game and which Toady has been able to but has not done ever since DF was released, and which Toady hasn't ever mentioned, is not the same as a detailed analysis of a feature Toady has expressed interest in doing eventually. Many of the things mentioned as differences were all I was criticizing. Was I rude? Probably. Was I wrong? Seems not. Oh, and PC, water, and neither.

I don't see how having an extra couple of songs (even say 20 songs) repeating a couple thousand times is any less annoying than having a single song. If you want different music just turn off the music and play your own.
Agreed. The difference is merely technical.

And, once again, the music haters are keeping this on the top of the list.
Spoiler: ProTip (click to show/hide)
Let's do an experiment. Hey, Damiac, u r a troll. Now don't respond. See the issue I have? I am being called a TROLL, and you expect me to stay silent rather than explaining myself? Well...unlikely for most, less likely for me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 07:43:34 pm »

HE COULD GET ANYTHING OUT OF THE WAY FOREVER IN A MATTER OF DAYS
IT'S LIKE SAYING YOU SHOULD BUILD A GIGANTIC STACK OF MANY VARIOUS PIECES OF ALL DIFFERENT SIZES AND MATERIALS BY ONLY PLACING THEM WHERE THEY WILL BE SUPPORTED BY OTHER PIECES
OF COURSE, ONCE THE STACK GETS BIG ENOUGH, THERE ARE MANY PLACES WHERE PIECES COULD GO, SO YOU DO THEM ARBITRARILY
I LIKE MY METAPHOR A BIT MORE

In a matter of days Toady could NOT add the army arc, kingdom mode, or about anything that would really improve the gameplay. Music, however, is an exception to that.
1. There is community already adding music to the game. You wanna put 'em out of the job hobby?

Of course. I already explained that just because you can download an addon to fix/improve something doesn't mean it shouldn't go into the vanilla game.

2. You can use internet to play any music you want, if you don't own any music in your harddrive.

Fair point, but it would still be nice to have it in the game.

3. We are not talking about a game which is complete and lacks things like sound effects and music.

I still play a fortress from several releases back (before vampires and minecarts) and even back then I considered it complete enough to be playable and fun. It's pretty good as it is now. Sure, it would be absolutely fantastic with hill dwarves and multi threading, but that's a long way off and simple things like music can really make a game great or terrible.

4. This is a roguelike (kind of) and in all roguelikes things like graphics and music are secondary.

So? The point of this thread is to convince Toady that music should be more of a priority.

Edited because of a new reply while I typed the original post:

You're suggesting we paint the walls before adding the roof. Bugs are more important than music. Interface is more important than music. With so many players who turn of DF music and solutions individual players can take to listen to different music, I fail to see how music is a high priority. It's certainly not the shingles on the roof, and we're already in the house.

You failed to see the point of my analogy. Adding shingles to a roof is obviously very important, but it can also be done more quickly than plumbing, and turning the framework into an actual house. In the same way, music is something that wouldn't be time consuming and would make the game a lot more enjoyable, at least for me.

He could. Does he need to? No. Does he WANT to? If he did, he probably would have already. As you say, it's not rocket science.

Would you play any game like Minecraft, World of Warcraft, Runescape, or whatever it is that you like if it had no sound effects? Maybe, but I bet it would feel a lot more dull. Strictly speaking Toady doesn't NEED to fix bugs either, he could just let your world get corrupted every five minutes and allow dwarves to spontaneously combust.

I try to listen. You are guilty of all you accuse me of, too. That makes this whole thing harder. Why not explain why music is more important than bugs or features? I'm very interested in your answer.

The above already explains why music isn't necessarily more important, but is a better use of three days. As in for me being guilty of all that? My post count is obviously much lower, but I'd love if you could dig up one quote where I come straight out and piss off whoever made the thread, say it's clogging up the forum, and then dismiss everybody who doesn't agree with me as being stupid. Even if I did feel that way, I wouldn't waste my time typing out an extra sentence or two that does nothing but insult them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:56:06 pm by Carp McDwarfEater »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »

HE COULD GET ANYTHING OUT OF THE WAY FOREVER IN A MATTER OF DAYS
IT'S LIKE SAYING YOU SHOULD BUILD A GIGANTIC STACK OF MANY VARIOUS PIECES OF ALL DIFFERENT SIZES AND MATERIALS BY ONLY PLACING THEM WHERE THEY WILL BE SUPPORTED BY OTHER PIECES
OF COURSE, ONCE THE STACK GETS BIG ENOUGH, THERE ARE MANY PLACES WHERE PIECES COULD GO, SO YOU DO THEM ARBITRARILY
I LIKE MY METAPHOR A BIT MORE

In a matter of days Toady could NOT add the army arc, kingdom mode, or about anything that would really improve the gameplay. Music, however, is an exception to that.
I'm not convinced that music is important, at all.

1. There is community already adding music to the game. You wanna put 'em out of the job hobby?

Of course. I already explained that just because you can download an addon to fix/improve something doesn't mean it shouldn't go into the vanilla game.
Of course not, it just moves it down the priority list. Especially since, say, NW_Kohaku might love Toady's new music but Putnam could hate it.

2. You can use internet to play any music you want, if you don't own any music in your harddrive.

Fair point, but it would still be nice to have it in the game.
So what? Have an easy "Put your own music here" folder or force everyone to listen to a different piece of music instead of the current one?

3. We are not talking about a game which is complete and lacks things like sound effects and music.

I still play a fortress from several releases back (before vampires and minecarts) and even back then I considered it complete enough to be playable and fun. It's pretty good as it is now. Sure, it would be absolutely fantastic with hill dwarves and multi threading, but that's a long way off and simple things like music can really make a game great or terrible.
Is it complete? No. Are there still features to be added and bugs to be fixed? Of course. Is this argument relevant? I doubt it. Simple things like music CAN make a game great or terrible, but most coming to DF will make their decision based on the features or the graphics, and not the music.

4. This is a roguelike (kind of) and in all roguelikes things like graphics and music are secondary.

So? The point of this thread is to convince Toady that music should be more of a priority.
If anything, this convinces Toady that we can't argue like civilized people...
And I include myself in that statement. I'm not sorry about what I've said, but I'm very sorry about how I said it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 09:52:25 am »

You could make a thread in Creative projects section, dedicated to DF music written by fans.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 12:19:20 am »

There's some really nice music in the Dwarf Fortress Talk podcast that might fit well in the game.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 01:38:12 pm »

And, once again, the music haters are keeping this on the top of the list.
Spoiler: ProTip (click to show/hide)
Let's do an experiment. Hey, Damiac, u r a troll. Now don't respond. See the issue I have? I am being called a TROLL, and you expect me to stay silent rather than explaining myself? Well...unlikely for most, less likely for me.

That was after it had already been responded to.  I just mean there's a lot of bad suggestions, if you just ignore the bad suggestions, they'll go away. I don't take any exception to "That's not a good idea because of X, Y, and Z."  I take exception to people saying "You're ruining the board by suggesting this because it's not important to me personally!!!!"

And after all, there seem to be a few people agreeing with the OP anyway. 

I must say, I also take exception to someone labeling you a troll for disagreeing. You may be occasionally... blunt... as you say, but you clearly put thought into your posts, and don't just post for a reaction, which is what trolling is.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 01:47:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can make your own music and put it into DF, there're /data/sound and I've seen some references to others having done it.

Of course, I have no idea what the heck does with what in there and don't particularly care, being deaf, but someone was asking about there being a music folder. Though, it'd be nice to have some kind of set-up, not unlike a very primitive MP3 or triggers for those that want an internal way of doing things. Or just a way to choose which file to play within the init.txt and sound folder.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]