Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: We all know its true...  (Read 6067 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We all know its true...
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »

I bet Toady could write and add some more music to the game within 3 days. Or, he could just buy the rights to use another person's music in Dwarf Fortress, and have it over with in a matter of hours. And like nomnum said, just because there's an addon that fixes a problem doesn't mean the default Dwarf Fortress shouldn't get it fixed as well.

Have you ever made music yourself?

I have, so all of this is coming from personal experience:
Yes, writing and eventually making music is easy process. The difficult thing is to actually make it sound good. Anybody can write some symbols to paper, play some strings from guitar or push some buttons from computer keyboard and you have music. But does it actually sound good? That's a different matter. So, few days might be accurate if
A) Toady has more experience in making music
B) We are willing to take the risk that the music is boring or even bad at best.

Yes, Toady could buy rights to music made by others. The problem is that, if one wants some quality, it costs. And with current monthly revenue, I'm not exactly sure if Toady is interested in investing to such thing right now. Of course, one could get lucky and find a talented person who is willing to make the music cheaply or even for free, but, outside the community, the chances are slim enough so that Toady shouldn't count for that.

Also, there are some free music/sound available in internet. Toady could use those as placeholders, but then again it would take some time from him to actually go through all those free sounds to filter out the crap and find the ones worthy to the game.

So, implementing more music or sound to the game is not a huge task in programming side. The problem comes with making the actual music/sound which has good enough quality. I bet that nobody here wants some bad music just because there needs to be some...

And no, I'm not "shooting down" the idea, in my opinion there should be more music and sound. But currently there are, IMO, more important things (features, bug fixes) to spend time on...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »

Explaining that you believe its something better left for later is a reasonable, and civil response.
Toady shouldn't really have to work on the music too. Let the other guys do it.
Seriously, you guys are suggesting MUSIC?!?! I play with DF muted most of the time, so I'd rather see those 3 days spent doing something to improve game play, or at least UI. So many things we could suggest, and you suggest...music?

-----

It amazes me that the most some people ever contribute to the SUGGESTION forum are comments shooting down someone else's ideas...
hei ya no wut wood b g8? dorfs trnin into kats. LOL. toadee must ad NAO!

You, however, seem completely incapable of independent thought. The most ridiculous suggestion is better than no suggestion. I'm glad you're at least smart enough to have realized my comment was directed at you. It shows that maybe one day, likely after this game is finished, you might come up with an idea.
A bad, ridiculous, time-wasting, or otherwise unuseful suggestion is worse than no suggestion, if only because it crowds out the more useful suggestions and crowds up the subforum.
And "incapable of independent thought?" Try "didn't get here for a few pages." And I have come up with ideas, good and bad, and sometimes incredibly detailed...say, the time I came up with an idea for every sphere in a biome form.
I am blunt. I. Am. NOT. Dumb.

I tottaly can imagine the Amazing DF Procedural Ambient Generator with winds and rivers on the surface, and some darkish chords underground, and some evil laugh and screams near HFS, and with a lot of reverb, and with taking into account the surroundings, and all other things, but it's just too much work for Toady.
Agree with all but the logic. It doesn't improve the game enough to be worth Toady's time.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »

Well, from what I see of this conversation the community should get the music together, free sound effects for events among other things and I have a feeling Toady would have no trouble with implementing our quick request. If I was on a co-op term instead of a study term at school I would happily contribute.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:07 pm »

That might be fine. Idea:
Have several songs, including the basic one, strung together. Make sure they all blend together, each sounding kinda like the one before and after. Make it all one big track. That's the easiest for Toady to add.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55:18 am »

Sphere? As in the game's procedurally generated deities? I got a deity who's sphere was pregnancy. So you think overhauling biomes to include one where all the animals are pregnant is something that's useful?

This is a giant pregnant dingo leather cloak.

The Weretapir Dishmabtutob has come! It is a tapir twisted into humanoid form! Beware its poisonous afterbirth!

You're so right, that's totally better than music. And it wouldn't take much time for Toady to do. After all, he'd only have to scrap and redo the entire world generation algorithms. And its stupid because this game is more real than cinematic. Have you ever sent out a squad of wrestlers? You should try it some time.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 11:54:40 am »

Sphere? As in the game's procedurally generated deities? I got a deity who's sphere was pregnancy. So you think overhauling biomes to include one where all the animals are pregnant is something that's useful?

This is a giant pregnant dingo leather cloak.

The Weretapir Dishmabtutob has come! It is a tapir twisted into humanoid form! Beware its poisonous afterbirth!

You're so right, that's totally better than music. And it wouldn't take much time for Toady to do. After all, he'd only have to scrap and redo the entire world generation algorithms. And its stupid because this game is more real than cinematic. Have you ever sent out a squad of wrestlers? You should try it some time.
Now please calm down (both of you, and the badger that's tearing my dwarves apart). Arguments are starting to get ad hominem here.  I seriously doubt you have seen this suggestion, and even if you did, this is not the place to discuss it.

Anyway, on the topic of music, I doubt community made music will help. Toady likes to do things on his own. Besides, the communtity has it's own music already. See, Soundsense and the other music things. I mean, changing the music is easy. Find music, then drop it in DF's music folder, fixed. (For precise information, ask the guys in the modding forum.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 05:11:12 pm »

ExecratedDwarf: I didn't choose random crap, I actually went to each sphere and thought of how it could meaningfully affect gameplay. And Toady has said he'd like to replace generic good, evil, etc biomes with sphere-based biomes.

ebbor: While I still don't think it's important, Toady has accepted help before and I suspect he'll do so again. If enough people want it, he might add the new music to DF.
Sig

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:05:49 am »

I don't think the Adams brothers have or are interested in directly incorporating anyone elses "creative" work. Code that allows the resizing of the window or raw values for wood is just grunt work.

As far as writing music, who knows? Tarn could possibly find it fun, many people who can create decent music do enjoy the process. And if (hypothetically) he ever wanted to take a few months off coding to write some music and recharge his battereies, who'd begrude him that? Probably lots of people, come to think of it...

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 09:06:08 am »

This suggestion is worthless and a waste of time! I am personally offended that anybody even would suggest it, let along discuss it... actually I have an idea

When you insult the poster and the post, then try to join in on the discussion afterward, you only prove his accusations that you are a negative nancy...

He didn't write anything at all like that.  You know all you accomplish with crap like that is to make yourself look bad, and to bump the thread you apparently detest so much.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:21:57 am »

What we need is a reliable and goal oriented music thread.  The one I saw was all over the place.  We need to set one with recccomendations that make sense and flow with consistency.  If that wasn't already said.  Otherwise ptw.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:12 pm »

One thing Toady could do is have more things post to a log for SoundSense (or any other utility) to read. There's probably all sorts of events that don't currently output any text that could be taken advantage of.

Overall, though, there's not much point in Toady implementing something that's already been pretty well implemented by somebody else. I mean, look what happened with Notch.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 08:09:29 pm »

This suggestion is worthless and a waste of time! I am personally offended that anybody even would suggest it, let along discuss it... actually I have an idea

When you insult the poster and the post, then try to join in on the discussion afterward, you only prove his accusations that you are a negative nancy...

He didn't write anything at all like that.  You know all you accomplish with crap like that is to make yourself look bad, and to bump the thread you apparently detest so much.
I assume the third paragraph was paraphrasing me? A. Just for the record, I said nothing like the first and no one else did either. B. I was saying that there are such things as bad suggestions. There are. Thus, you can't say there aren't.

One thing Toady could do is have more things post to a log for SoundSense (or any other utility) to read. There's probably all sorts of events that don't currently output any text that could be taken advantage of.

Overall, though, there's not much point in Toady implementing something that's already been pretty well implemented by somebody else. I mean, look what happened with Notch.
A. SFX could be interesting, but I think that's a topic that needs much in-depth discussion on how it would work.
B. What happened with Notch?
Sig

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:06 pm »

No? Notch seems to be rich right now, will The Great Toad become rich as well if he implements 3rd party programs?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 09:43:13 pm »

While I don't always have it on, when playing, I would seriously consider the current music as one of my Desert Island Discs, should I ever be asked.  (Mind you, I'd also consider Leekspin, so don't assume my sense of taste is unassailable.)  So, anyway, I disagree with the basic premise, but I'll not go on about that.

While I've never tried Soundsense, I think that if anything new were to be done, a procedurally-reactive on-the-fly composition (feelings of dread or partying or anger or boredom being write into score, with changes or rhythm, chord usage, etc, according to what's happening) is the way to go, but I wouldn't want Toady to be distracted by this, either.  Until and unless he wants to of course.

I think the community's got this idea covered, and maybe something good will come along that'll help us all change our minds, one way or another.

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 09:49:53 pm »

I'm quite frankly amazed at how many people are saying Toady should just put off music for another ten years, despite how he could get it out of the way forever in a matter of days. It's like saying you should build a house's frame, add flooring, paint the walls, furnish it, move in, and THEN add shingles to the roof. I'd glady have the next version of DF pushed back for a while fir music to be added, I literally can't comprehend why everyone is saying it should be postponed just so that the bugs get fixed RIGHT NAO.

And as in for whether I have experience writing music, I can't claim to have much experience with it. However, I was under the impression that Toady plays an instrument (can't think of the name off the top of my head) and I'd be willing to bet that he already knows a few good songs that he could record and then add.

And GreatWyrmGold, almost every time you post I become more convinced that you're a troll. Time and time again people have told you to stop being so harsh, listen to others' posts, and stop dismissing suggestions as being worthless, stupid, and nothing but spam. And then every single time you've shrugged off what they said and convinced yourself that like the thread, they're just stupid.

I don't know why I'm bothering to say this, as you'll more than likely not even listen, but please try to stop coming across as a thoughless jerk. Your excuse is always "I'm blunt", and you are. That's not why people are pissed. It's your rude remarks that accomplish nothing and just anger whoever they're directed at that annoy everyone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4