Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: We all know its true...  (Read 6075 times)

nomnum

• Bay Watcher
  • Spayships
    • View Profile
    • Eighteen Pixels
We all know its true...
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:25:10 pm »

We NEED more music!!! I have grown used to simply disabling nay noise once the game starts because i cant take that same song over and over again. ::)
We could really use some music variation, even if its the same type of medieval music (which i don't mind), we simply need more of it.
One does not simply...
Manage a dwarven fortress.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: We all know its true...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »

We NEED more music!!! I have grown used to simply disabling nay noise once the game starts because i cant take that same song over and over again. ::)
We could really use some music variation, even if its the same type of medieval music (which i don't mind), we simply need more of it.
Try soundsense.

nomnum

• Bay Watcher
  • Spayships
    • View Profile
    • Eighteen Pixels
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 01:45:43 pm »

Try soundsense.

If im not wrong: Soundsense is an add-on feature (usually included in lazy newb pack)
Im saying by default for those that wish to download the game and only the game.
One does not simply...
Manage a dwarven fortress.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:48:47 pm »

Toady shouldn't really have to work on the music too. Let the other guys do it.

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »

I bet Toady could write and add some more music to the game within 3 days. Or, he could just buy the rights to use another person's music in Dwarf Fortress, and have it over with in a matter of hours. And like nomnum said, just because there's an addon that fixes a problem doesn't mean the default Dwarf Fortress shouldn't get it fixed as well.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:00:55 pm »

I don't think music isn't really a big concern for DF.

And seriously, a dev who values gameplay and doesn't care much about the UI and graphics is gonna add some music? These 3 days is better spent fixing bugs.

When I'm playing DF, I usually just turn off it's music and play something from the PC myself. The game doesn't have any sound effects anyway.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:17:23 pm »

It amazes me that the most some people ever contribute to the SUGGESTION forum are comments shooting down someone else's ideas. I agree, more music would be nice. Also, sound effects tied to certain announcements. I'm sure Toady intends to add them, because regardless what some people think he does care about the user's experience and the UI. He just doesn't think its a good use of time to overhaul it right now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:26:46 pm »

Seriously, you guys are suggesting MUSIC?!?! I play with DF muted most of the time, so I'd rather see those 3 days spent doing something to improve game play, or at least UI. So many things we could suggest, and you suggest...music?

-----

It amazes me that the most some people ever contribute to the SUGGESTION forum are comments shooting down someone else's ideas...
hei ya no wut wood b g8? dorfs trnin into kats. LOL. toadee must ad NAO!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:45:08 pm »

I actually like the music he has now and if I ever get tired of it, which I do sometimes, I just mute it and play something from my personal stores of music

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 06:30:50 am »

I like it too. When I get sick of it, I just mute it and play something else from my music collection.

It amazes me that the most some people ever contribute to the SUGGESTION forum are comments shooting down someone else's ideas. I agree, more music would be nice. Also, sound effects tied to certain announcements. I'm sure Toady intends to add them, because regardless what some people think he does care about the user's experience and the UI. He just doesn't think its a good use of time to overhaul it right now.
Well, I guess I'll have to explain why I don't like this suggestion.

When I take a look at a suggestion, I don't just think about how cool would it be in the game. I think about the days which will be spent implementing it. I want multithreading but I don't want Toady to just stop everything and start rebuilding the game for multithreading. Do I want different music? Maybe after like 10 years when Toady gets to the unimportant stuff and fleshes the game out. This is a huge game and eventually even our wildest dreams will take place in DF. For now, what we need is bugfixes and gameplay features.

Things like UI, graphics and music aren't a priority right now. Modders handle that stuff. Can modders handle the source code, add features, fix bugs? Yeah there are mods which add interesting features to the game but I rather have the dev working on it. Music and tilesets? That's the job of the community.

Don't forget that Toady is just one man. Also, programming a game, adding music for it, and making the graphics are very different things.

Edit note: I'm not a developer and I don't know crap about the programming stuff. I just make assumptions.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:37:40 am by Leatra »

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 07:05:34 am »

Explaining that you believe its something better left for later is a reasonable, and civil response.
Seriously, you guys are suggesting MUSIC?!?! I play with DF muted most of the time, so I'd rather see those 3 days spent doing something to improve game play, or at least UI. So many things we could suggest, and you suggest...music?

-----

It amazes me that the most some people ever contribute to the SUGGESTION forum are comments shooting down someone else's ideas...
hei ya no wut wood b g8? dorfs trnin into kats. LOL. toadee must ad NAO!

You, however, seem completely incapable of independent thought. The most ridiculous suggestion is better than no suggestion. I'm glad you're at least smart enough to have realized my comment was directed at you. It shows that maybe one day, likely after this game is finished, you might come up with an idea.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:40:15 am »

Well, as someone who is at least stupid enough to reply something which was directed at somebody else, I think I'll reply this too.

There are lots of suggestions. We all have our ideas. One man can't just implement them all. It's not like we are running out of ideas to do what next. We have to pick the crucial suggestions apart from unnecessary ones first. This game isn't famous for it's graphics or it's music. Also, it's not like game is even close to being finished (I doubt DF will ever become finished though). I mean, who would care about the music in a game which is in alpha or beta. Just be hopeful not to run into any bugs.

If someone makes the music and gives the rights to Toady, I would be okay with it. If I was working on something huge as DF, I wouldn't care much about music myself. I might as well let the community to do whatever they want with music.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 08:14:49 am »

I agree that from a development perspective music is a menial task that's pretty much a waste of time. But I feel that all suggestions have merit. This game offers different things to different people. And a lot of times what people like and want more of won't overlap with the likes and wants of others. But in the past two days, that kid has called ideas for a map overhaul, gates, caltrops and music stupid. And I'm pretty sure that if someone had said to him that they want to make a game where you manage a settlement, with no direct control over the inhabitants, and you've gotta worry about resources and happiness, and the whole thing will be a black screen with colorful letters and symbols, his only reply would be: "That's stupid."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 10:58:24 am »

I think dwarf fortress should add priority to adding possibilities for features, not nessecerially features themselves. So adding music isn't needed. In term of usefulness, it's almost nihil. It will only satisfy the demands of a small part of the community (The other parts using their own music, using soundsense(which does announcement sound effects too) or being content with the current music).

In such a way there are much better things to do. While this argument shouldn't be used to discredit the entire suggestion, it's still a valid thing to be said. We're talking about usefullness/ time spent, and this is not the moment for this suggestion. If this argument shouldn't matter, you'd get a whole different view of the suggestion forum. Suddenly multithreading and/ or multiplayer become much better suggestions, since about the only counterarguments are the amount of time required.

Doodooist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 12:43:41 pm »

I tottaly can imagine the Amazing DF Procedural Ambient Generator with winds and rivers on the surface, and some darkish chords underground, and some evil laugh and screams near HFS, and with a lot of reverb, and with taking into account the surroundings, and all other things, but it's just too much work for Toady.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4