Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Which mods?  (Read 4837 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Which mods?
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »

I've heard mods are pretty much essential to make this playable.  Which are the best?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Which mods?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:12:06 pm »

STALKER Complete 2009 is a nice basic one. Makes the game playable, and the graphics and whatnot are good. There are better mods out there, but this is a nice all-in-one that doesn't really change the gameplay or feel of the game.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:13:30 pm »

STALKER Complete 2009 is a nice basic one. Makes the game playable, and the graphics and whatnot are good. There are better mods out there, but this is a nice all-in-one that doesn't really change the gameplay or feel of the game.

So it's essentially a really in depth fan patch?  That's exactly what I was hoping for, cheers :)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »

Depends on what you're looking for. 

There's the Complete Mod which has a whole bunch of bug fixes and features while staying true to the base game.

There's Oblivion Lost which tries to recreate the developer's original plans for the game including all kinds of nasty things in the zone. Really bumps up the difficulty.

There's also the Narodnaya Soljanka which is the "mega mod" which is pretty insane stuff. It adds an amazing amount of features. If you can't speak Russian you're better going for the Stalkersoup version of the mod which has the best English translations and is also perhaps the most stable. I really enjoyed it although it was pretty buggy when I played it about a year ago.

EDIT: Already answered.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 12:15:18 pm »

Stalker Complete if you want an unaltered experience with bugfixes and improved graphic quality.

If you want to try some mods that add/restore content then I can also recommend Oblivion Lost. My first playthrough was with that mod. It adds blowouts, more mutant types, items and RPG elements.(artifact crafting).

People have been speaking highly of L.U.R.K. but I haven't played it personally.

EDIT:You're too slow.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:15:57 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll stick to complete for now, but I'll definitely keep the others in mind for when I've finished the game.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:42:19 pm »

I realize I'm too late, but I still should say that vanilla Stalker is perfectly playable once it's been patched up. My personal recommendation is to skip Complete until you've done an unmodded playthrough, because otherwise you might not appreciate what actually gets changed. The Zone Reclamation Project is more in line with a proper bug-fixing mod that doesn't change things otherwise, whereas Complete says it's a purely vanilla experience, but it actually tends to make things a fair bit easier with things like repair kits and auto-applying bandages and super night-vision.

Granted, if you want to go play Complete I'm not gonna stop you, because it's still a good mod! But to say it's a pure Stalker experience is frankly inaccurate.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.