Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inept Hammerer  (Read 2605 times)

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inept Hammerer
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:53:34 am »

So I found a Dwarf drained of all blood. Checking my latest migrants, there was one that was a member of about 400 governmental organisations, had loads of doctoring skills and hadn't drunk alcohol for a while despite there being an ample supply of it.

Having thus identified the murderer, I set up a quick execution chamber, appointed a Hammerer and he was dragged there and chained up. The Hammerer proceeded to go berserk and shattered all his limbs, broke his spine and apparently rendered him unable to breathe.

Then she left, his sentence for murder was apparently served (?!) and he was then taken to the hospital. He's now lying there crippled, unbreathing. Somehow no-one has noticed that normal Dwarves have to breathe to live, so the doctors are actually trying to treat him.

1. What shall I do with him now?
2. Why didn't the hammerer actually kill him?
3. Does a retractable bridge drop onto wooden stakes sound like a suitable end to a Vamp? :P

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
Re: Inept Hammerer
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:15:40 am »

Dwarves have capital punishment for whoever murders another member of the same race, it is indeed strange that the hammerer stopped. Was the original sentence for murder or assault? Perhaps she tagged him as a goner once she compromised his breathing (that wasn't there in first place, being a vampire and all, but shhht, don't tell her)? I'm not really sure.

Wooden stakes are a nice classic. Consider eternal imprisonment too, or deliver him to a giant sponge.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:25 pm »

Good training for your docs. I say let it go, I doubt he'll be getting up anytime soon. I am having an issue in my fort where the vamp keeps sucking my legendary warriors dry... Every month, 1 less person shows up to training. Why can't they go after the farmers or some shit.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:56:19 pm »

The death sentence is 50 hammer strikes. If the target isn't dead after that, I guess the dwarfs consider the criminal sufficiently punished.
I caught a vampire too. A fisher-dwarf accused the expedition leader, who I knew was innocent of course. So I had my sheriff drag the fisher-dwarf to the dungeon. I had no hammer, so he had to wait to be executed while we forged one. After 50 hammer strikes I knew I was right, because he lived.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:13:52 pm »

My current fort is the capital of the dwarven civilization, so it naturally attracted the current queen. Who is a vampire. And whose first and only victim was my Chief Medical Doctor. I locked her up in the throne room after that. :/

I will likely turn it into a pit where I dump enemies and have her fight them one on one in a battle to the death.

But as far as hammerers go, I watched as one of my weaponsmiths was executed for violating an export prohibition order. :/ Died rather quickly with several blows to the head delivered by a steel hammer. I was not happy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:16:54 pm by Stargazer »

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »

A death sentence is 50 hammer blows. If the criminal survives those 50 hammer blows then he is considered to have served his punishment and gets released. Think of it as the criminal being considered to be blessed by Armok.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 02:27:04 pm »

Alas for your strong one, who would have served you well, if only you'd chosen/known how to use him in a way that risked no one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

mik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:35:42 pm »

Isn't that a solution with rapidly diminishing returns, though? I thought vampires start to slow way down at everything they do after not feeding on anybody long enough. Wouldn't you have to still occasionally throw him a sacrifice?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:59:33 pm »

From what I've read, it's more that they slow down because they cannot drink alcohol and start to suffer from that ever-worsening withdrawl.

That's going to happen wether you permit them to feed or not, sadly dwarves dont get enough BAC to matter  ::)

The longest I've kept vampires around has been about 5 years, I tend to walk away from DF after a while playing, then come back and start new forts.  But during that 5 years the two vamps in that game remained functional and they were still within normal dwarf movement speeds - I didn't watch them close enough to note if they appeared to be slower than they'd been to start.

I really dont see how keeping them around for however long they are useful would be 'diminishing returns' though - even if (like your other dwarves, and almost everything else alive on your map) there's only a specific amount of time they are useful for, and then they're not worth keeping after that time, why throw them away while they still have value to gain by keeping them?  It's the vamps you don't see that cost you - the vamps you see and limit no longer cost.... anything but the occasional set of clothes.  Not even the food/drink/bedroom-space that a normal dwarf costs you, until they die for whatever reason.  :P

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:26:14 am »

And you CAN still feed them. Just station them to the bedroom of that annoying noble as a bodyguard to... Protect them from the backlash of their impossible mandate.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 07:34:04 am »

Fortunately/unfortunately he died recently of an infected wound. His death has illuminated the need for soap :D

Thanks for the tips, next Vamp I get is probably going to be entombed with an office, bed, living comforts and engraved walls. Either that or a burrow-assigned military spot, which is actually an excellent idea.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:06 am »

Fortunately/unfortunately he died recently of an infected wound. His death has illuminated the need for soap :D

Thanks for the tips, next Vamp I get is probably going to be entombed with an office, bed, living comforts and engraved walls. Either that or a burrow-assigned military spot, which is actually an excellent idea.

They don't need beds, but a few statues and engraving would be nice for them to look at, though.

I believe they ignores burrows if they need to feed, however I've not had any successs in catching one to test so that's second-handed.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »

They don't need beds, but a few statues and engraving would be nice for them to look at, though.

I believe they ignores burrows if they need to feed, however I've not had any successs in catching one to test so that's second-handed.

So long as the vamp's burrow does not include any place where anyone sleeps (or happens to pass out for any reason), you'll have good success.  You can make this burrow tiny, or actually the entire size of the embark minus the sleeping and healing quarters.  It can be continuous or gapped.

Have fun experimenting with it.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 04:34:32 am »

Edit:  Whoops
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Garun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:32 am »

I feel like this is a n00bly question ... but are vampires in vanilla DF? Or are they part of a mod? I hear people talking about them frequently but I have yet to encounter one despite having gone through several forts already. Is it because I haven't really embarked in a highly evil area yet?
Pages: [1] 2