Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!  (Read 20096 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 07:37:23 pm »

Cool LP. Dwarf me as a miner, so I can be OMFG SO FING SLOW.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 11:42:35 pm »

oooo this looks like a fun video LP to waste some free time on :3
Gonna watch dwarves die, gonna watch dwarves die...

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:59 am »

I tried my hand at this, but was only able to generate a Sinister Tundra rather than the proper "Terrifying".  I also wussed out and brought an Anvil with me, but with the lack of available fuel I don't think it will make much of a difference.

I tested to make sure it was a reanimating biome by slaughtering a Water Buffalo Bull.  I tanned its hide real quick since zombie skins seem to be really bad news.  The Hair, although scary, was less dangerous, and in two reanimation showdowns, it was put down by my militia and torn into many pieces.  Interestingly, "Water Buffalo Nose hair" can be spun into a full unit of thread, so I was able to get 7 units of thread out of this.  One dwarf who got punched in the face by the Water Buffalo Hair was apparently rather traumatized by it and is Unhappy.  "Attacked by the dead recently" is a pretty nasty happiness hit to take before I've even had a chance to make beds.

I also found that it's super-easy to dig through an aquifer in a freezing biome, although Ice and Stairs seem not to agree with each other.  Up/Down stairs dug into aquifer-sand make it no longer aquiferrous, and a ring of ice around it keeps it sealed and safe.  My aquifer was only one layer thick, but I think that by continually channeling around the perimeter of your stairwell-to-be to remove the sky-blocking floor, you can ensure a frozen cofferdam to any depth required.  I think.  Needs testing.

The important thing is to NOT channel out the center tile, 'cause a staircase through ice = nothing.

As for Adrakon's amazing mushroom find, perhaps there's something special about Peat?  Did you notice anything growing on other soils, or just the peat?  This is a valuable thing to know!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:05:02 am by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 07:20:32 am »

I tried my hand at this, but was only able to generate a Sinister Tundra rather than the proper "Terrifying".  I also wussed out and brought an Anvil with me, but with the lack of available fuel I don't think it will make much of a difference.

I tested to make sure it was a reanimating biome by slaughtering a Water Buffalo Bull.  I tanned its hide real quick since zombie skins seem to be really bad news.  The Hair, although scary, was less dangerous, and in two reanimation showdowns, it was put down by my militia and torn into many pieces.  Interestingly, "Water Buffalo Nose hair" can be spun into a full unit of thread, so I was able to get 7 units of thread out of this.  One dwarf who got punched in the face by the Water Buffalo Hair was apparently rather traumatized by it and is Unhappy.  "Attacked by the dead recently" is a pretty nasty happiness hit to take before I've even had a chance to make beds.

I also found that it's super-easy to dig through an aquifer in a freezing biome, although Ice and Stairs seem not to agree with each other.  Up/Down stairs dug into aquifer-sand make it no longer aquiferrous, and a ring of ice around it keeps it sealed and safe.  My aquifer was only one layer thick, but I think that by continually channeling around the perimeter of your stairwell-to-be to remove the sky-blocking floor, you can ensure a frozen cofferdam to any depth required.  I think.  Needs testing.

The important thing is to NOT channel out the center tile, 'cause a staircase through ice = nothing.

As for Adrakon's amazing mushroom find, perhaps there's something special about Peat?  Did you notice anything growing on other soils, or just the peat?  This is a valuable thing to know!

I lol'd IRL at the "Water Buffalo Nose hair" being spun into thread! HAHAHA! As for the anvil, pretty worthless. You will most likely never be able to use it very effectively before you get your first caravan. And if the caravan dies, free anvil, probably. And yea I noticed my staircases disappearing too. :S

As for the freezing aquifer, it has probably already been tested, its listed on the wiki. I just never read that part since I had never had a reason to use that method.

As for the peat, I never noticed mushrooms growing on anything else recently, but I haven't played since march and can't remember anything from back then. I know it has happened to me several times before though. I'll keep an eye out, and maybe even look into this...  for !!SCIENCE!!
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 07:25:48 am »

One stupid mistake... JUST ONE! And its all over! Darn zombies!

Dwarf Fortress: Single Pick Challenge 5: Quick and Painful http://youtu.be/lAq_pkp68Wc

Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:13 am »

I believe what happened with the mushrooms, is that one of your previous embarks that did breach the caverns was close enough to this one that it counted as breached here too. I've never had that happen to me, so can't vouch for it, but I do remember reading about it from other posts.

Velak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:07 am »

Episode 1 popped up in my G+ stream, and it was a pleasant surprise.

When I realized you were going to embark with nothing in a terrifying frozen tundra biome, I couldn't look away. It was like driving past a car accident or something, I just had to watch.

I'm enjoying these videos, thanks for taking the time to make them. :)

It would be an honour to be dwarfed in whatever role you see fit.

Good luck!

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 12:08:26 pm »

I believe what happened with the mushrooms, is that one of your previous embarks that did breach the caverns was close enough to this one that it counted as breached here too. I've never had that happen to me, so can't vouch for it, but I do remember reading about it from other posts.

Hmm, that is a very good possibility! That would likely take some work to verify, but if I end up wrecking enough forts next to each other I could possibly test it!

Episode 1 popped up in my G+ stream, and it was a pleasant surprise.

When I realized you were going to embark with nothing in a terrifying frozen tundra biome, I couldn't look away. It was like driving past a car accident or something, I just had to watch.

I'm enjoying these videos, thanks for taking the time to make them. :)

It would be an honour to be dwarfed in whatever role you see fit.

Good luck!

Im glad you like! I have enjoyed making them! At this point it's more like a four car pileup that keeps on getting wrecking into HAHAHA!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »

I'll drop a quick update in before I head out. Had an incident with a reacher and a large rat getting inside the walls, but luckily the militia was able to put those down without any deaths. The bodies were immediately dumped into the magma pool.

The magma cistern is nearly completed, we just need to get a few more magma safe components for the pumps. A lot harder than usual since my caverns have no nether caps and there isn't a speck of sand to be found anywhere. But not too worried, I do have iron ore, so the pumps will be done soonish.

Finally finished roofing over the farming plots, now my farmer can safely grow her plump helmets year round without worrying about a giant cave swallow/bat/fb swooping in over the walls.

The gcs still sits in a cage in my stockpiles waiting for me to find time to setup the silk factory. But that is still a fairly low priority as I got more areas that need roofing over and securing. And I can get my cloth from the caravans for now.

Which brings me to the final point. I finally got around to digging out a proper depot area and finished it just in time for the elves arrival. I still have more surface work to do though. Got to make a safe way to reliably get the migrants and diplomats inside, now that the caravans are sorted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 02:54:47 pm »

Wanted, about 50 volunteers for dwarfing D: migration waves are nuts!

Pon_Katt

• Bay Watcher
  • GAK!GAK!GAK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 03:26:25 pm »

Dwarf me please.  Meat shield preferable.
My little voice approves.

Velak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »

I think I'm probably already on the list, but.. if not, feel free to Dwarf me. :)

I watched all the previous ones, looking forward to the next instalment.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 04:19:51 pm »

I think I'm probably already on the list, but.. if not, feel free to Dwarf me. :)

I watched all the previous ones, looking forward to the next instalment.

You are my evil doctor! >:D Bwahahahah!! A doctor with a name like Velak sounds like either a butcher of a doctor, or an alien XD

Dwarf me please.  Meat shield preferable.

Now THAT I can do!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 05:14:03 pm »

Re-requesting a dorf. :)  Female, jewelry labors enabled if possible. :)

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »

Re-requesting a dorf. :)  Female, jewelry labors enabled if possible. :)

Sorry Clover, I re dwarfed that whole set of people in the next fort already, you are currently a legendary miner lol!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8