Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Under The Ocean - Survival game, now with random islands  (Read 21046 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Under The Ocean - Survival game, now with random islands
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:21:25 am »

Under The Ocean is the sequel to Under The Garden.

It's a game about survival on a deserted island. You'll have to forage for food and fresh water, make a fire to keep warm, wrestle with crazy physics and build yourself a shelter. Eventually you will pass out repeatedly because the wound given to you by an angry crab keeps getting infected.

Here's a little picture of a home with a water-powered light bulb:

It is currently in Alpha, you can get in on that for about $7. The latest version added a construction system, generators and light bulbs. The next major release promises procedurally-generated islands.
There are quite a few bugs, the interface is clunky and you have very little inventory space, but most of that seems to be getting fixed. Watch the videos on the homepage to get a feel for how things work.

Linky: Under The Ocean

I did a little search and nothing came up, so I figured I'd introduce the game to the forums. Worked out pretty well last time I did that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:59:37 pm by Rhodan »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under The Ocean - Survival game, now with light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:24:34 am »

Im def posting to watch that, seem interesting.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:03:04 am »

Eventually you will pass out repeatedly because the wound given to you by an angry crab keeps getting infected.
Can't you just use seawater to disinfect the wound?  If the game can't simulate something as simple as that, I'm not sure I'd like it.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:07:16 am »

Eventually you will pass out repeatedly because the wound given to you by an angry crab keeps getting infected.
Can't you just use seawater to disinfect the wound?  If the game can't simulate something as simple as that, I'm not sure I'd like it.

If you're passing out from a crab attack, you're probably gonna die of gangrene. Would make more sense if it was a concussion or something.

Does look interesting though. I like the visual style.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:37:06 am »

Hehe, the crab thingy was just an example of the kind of crazy bugs you should expect. Wounds can be treated with bandages or yarrow, and if you die you just wake up again at your nearest campfire. Hence the 'passing out' bit.  You ought to suggest the seawater bit, although it would make the entire infection thing rather trivial since you're literally swimming in the stuff.

As I mentioned in the original post, it's in alpha right now. Very alpha.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:41:51 am by Rhodan »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:54 am »

Am I the only one who is reminded of LittleBigPlanet after looking at the screenshot? :P

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:58:54 am »

I have been watching the Devlogs on youtube wow the game looks really good, anyone else bought this yet ? im really tempted to

EDIT: Just seen the game was $7 insta buy for me, hopefully once i get my pay in from work i will upgrade to the golden bear edition

EDIT 2: I have also invited the devs down to pick their brains about the game so i hope they accept
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:11:48 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:33:08 am »

Bit critical eh? Also I don't think its as easy as "dip it in sea water and it magically heals". I am sure there is plenty of things in the water that could make it just as dirty. Even if they do add it...its in an alpha...which means...not done.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:37:58 am »

Saline is good for cuts, but seawater is not saline.  It might help, but it's far from a sure thing and you're just as liable to make things worse.
Shoes...

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:01 am »

So am I the only one who thought of this?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 10:03:02 am »

I really like this idea, but the player character is majorly putting me off. I just can't take it seriously... it looks ridiculous. It's like they wanted to make it "stylized", but then made a much more realistic-looking world around him and now he just doesn't fit in at all.

I'll probably still get it, because heck, it's a survival sim. How could I not support my favourite genre? <3
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:52 am »

Saline is good for cuts, but seawater is not saline.  It might help, but it's far from a sure thing and you're just as liable to make things worse.

Yes. Sewater contains a hefty lot of microorganisms. Cholera (which attacks the intestines though) is a classical example of waterborn nastie.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 10:40:54 am »

ptw
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 10:41:06 am »

I do quite like the graphics style. The game in general interests me, so I'm posting to watch.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 10:45:53 am »

Why don't you buy the game ? it's only $7 which I think is really good. I have been playing it and crafting is fun. Also nothing beats spear fishing seagulls out of the sea haha.

I will be posting up screen shots of my world of a start to build a place to live.

You sort of get use to the weird blue guy as you play more.

A few things which interest me is:

Do the tides recede and come in, I have seen the water levels change a little

Will things move from one section to another ? It would be nice to have a really large house spanning several panes as well as a lighting system for the island
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9