Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Under The Ocean - Survival game, now with random islands  (Read 21050 times)

Farmergnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under The Ocean - Survival game, now with light bulbs
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 06:16:57 am »

Out of interest What sort of stuff do you plan for the raft update, i take it that update will focus of sea adventures and other stuff you can do with the ocean.

would you ever consider a kickstarter?

Actually we would LOVE to do a kickstarter as we are pretty much living update to update at this point, but we are in New Zealand and kickstarter isn't currently supported here, so we have to find someone in the states who is trustworthy enough - easier said than done.  That being said, we still want to wait a bit before doing a kickstarter (if we find someone) as I think the core features should be in before we go asking for huge sums of money (rafting, modding, random generation minimum), the public is probably getting a little sick of kickstarter's that over promise and under deliver by now (or atleast, I am).  At least then they will have something solid to play, and will get something tangible for there $ (multi-player comes to mind).

Rafting will be a big one, we haven't 100% fleshed out what/how its going to play out, we are thinking time will pass much quicker on the ocean, and it will enter real-time when the player encounters events (finds food, discovers a island, shark attack, etc), visually we are thinking of zooming the camera MUCH further out, so the player can feel insignificant against a giant ocean full of crashing waves, storms and other dangers.  The game will have an end point attached during the rafting update, and also the ability to visit other islands, its going to be a big update.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 07:10:39 am »

Ok, just watched the videos and bought the basic "silver" edition. ^^
Now constantly watching my mail-inbox for the activation key / info. Hurry guys! :D

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 07:11:47 am »

Posting to watch. Maybe I'll buy it later.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 07:23:34 am »

Wait your Kiwi devs???
Gotta support our AUS/NZD teams and brothers...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Farmergnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:41 am »

Now constantly watching my mail-inbox for the activation key / info. Hurry guys! :D

Oh, it might be in your spam, if not shoot me your details at farmergnome@gmail.com and I will check it right now if you like.  Gmail sometimes spams the email, not sure why...

Wait your Kiwi devs???

We are actually both Aussies living in NZ, its a little cheaper here :)  Pretty much live out in the country to keep costs low.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 07:42:12 am »

Wait your Kiwi devs???

We are actually both Aussies living in NZ, its a little cheaper here :)  Pretty much live out in the country to keep costs low.
I couldn't stand it over there myself, the lack of song birds really hit me hard when I visited...

Grabbed the Gold Bear...
Good luck Mates...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:33 am »

Oh, it might be in your spam, if not shoot me your details at farmergnome@gmail.com and I will check it right now if you like.  Gmail sometimes spams the email, not sure why...

Thanks a lot; always nice to have such helpful devs around! :)) I've sent you a mail!

Farmergnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 08:47:49 am »

Thanks a lot; always nice to have such helpful devs around! :)) I've sent you a mail!

Should be ready to rock bro :)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 09:01:22 am »

Hey Gnome i have been wondering what else do you plan to do with electricity ? and will we be getting wireing at some point?.

Also will things carry on from one area to another ? so at one point i could have a mass network of lighting for all the areas which are underground and they all connect to one main power source?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Farmergnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23:18 am »

First on the cards will be motors, winches, stuff like that, wiring probably wont be touched at all or for some time, I guess we shall see after the first power update, see how people like it :)  Power could be calculated across multiple screens though the details are sketchy on that too, the technical part of it would have to be faked on some level since tracking the weather/water patterns on every screen in the game simultaneously will have huge overhead.  Still, doable though.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »

I'd love for the electricity to stay in the 'salvaged' style, which fits the whole theme of the game just fine. A lot of crafting in games ends up with the player making a nuclear reactor starting with two sticks and an elderly lobster, but that wouldn't really mesh well with the whole stranded theme.

Are there any plans to add features to the inventory system? With the construction update, lugging around logs is quite a hassle. Would be nice if we could stuff things inside a crate or backpack or something.
Perhaps the player could stuff things into a crate, but be unable to run, jump or swim while lugging the crate around. This way collecting materials would take some effort and preparation without having to run back and forth a billion times.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 12:58:15 pm »

Ooh, i love when devs are active on B12 threads. I'm probably going to buy this.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 02:49:29 pm »

Ooh, i love when devs are active on B12 threads. I'm probably going to buy this.
heh, I bought it 2 days ago and have yet to really play it. I figure sending money their way will only help the game progress/grow/get better in the long run! Admittedly I only bought the lower level tier thingy but I hope my support helps.

Farmergnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 09:18:37 pm »

I'd love for the electricity to stay in the 'salvaged' style, which fits the whole theme of the game just fine. A lot of crafting in games ends up with the player making a nuclear reactor starting with two sticks and an elderly lobster, but that wouldn't really mesh well with the whole stranded theme.

Are there any plans to add features to the inventory system? With the construction update, lugging around logs is quite a hassle. Would be nice if we could stuff things inside a crate or backpack or something.
Perhaps the player could stuff things into a crate, but be unable to run, jump or swim while lugging the crate around. This way collecting materials would take some effort and preparation without having to run back and forth a billion times.

We have had lots of suggestions about this, I think its definitely on the cards, adding backpacks, chests and such, so transporting large amounts of items isn't so much of a problem, I get quite annoyed doing the run around for wood supplies also when building, so definitely expect that in a few updates.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »

Farmergnome, will kiwis be included in the game? I love those gosh dang birds.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9