Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Under The Ocean - Survival game, now with random islands  (Read 21040 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Under The Ocean - Survival game, now with random islands
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »

OK something is definitely not working. First of all I lit dry grass and set it on the ground, then piled some dry driftwood on top. I stood there and waited for several minutes but nothing else caught fire. Then I took my bucket from outside which was full of fresh water, put it in my inventory, went into the craft screen, dragged the bucket to my character. I held it over the "drink" icon on the guy (it turned green) then released it. My "thirsty" bar didn't change at all.

Am I really the only person having this much trouble? Is my game bugged or something? How on earth have any of you been able to figure out how to play? I want to play dammit!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2013, 02:41:30 pm »

I did notice being unable to drink sometimes, but I've still not had any problems with lighting things afire. Tried reinstalling?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2013, 02:53:05 pm »

Okay, I finally managed to get some things burning by trying it from scratch a few screens away from where I was. I'm quite sure I wasn't outside before, but for some reason the fire wasn't working in that spot. I also managed to figure out how to pull apart the chicken and cook the meat. Then I ate the meat.

Nothing I do changes my hungry or thirsty bars. They are both totally full. Common bug, or is this something I should report? I have no idea if I'll die or not, if it's just the display or if my guy is really starving/dehydrated.

No idea how to "reinstall." I tried deleting all the files and unzipping again, but I started out in my previously saved game. The saved game files must be stored in the registry or something. Is there a way to completely clean it out and start totally from scratch?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2013, 03:01:45 pm »

No idea really, probably worth bringing it up with the devs though, they seem remarkably cool about such things.
My cabbages!

onyhow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2013, 01:05:42 am »

Right now it seems like the hunger and thirst bar doesn't really function properly...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2013, 11:56:35 am »

I just tried my first random island, I like it! It's a really super easy one, massive and easy to explore, food everywhere, and it took some serious searching but I eventually even found fresh water (although it doesn't seem like you can currently die from hunger or thirst). Anyone know if there's a way to "save scum" or back up the random islands somehow? I want to try others but I'd like to be able to come back to this one eventually if I can.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2013, 11:59:22 am »

pots to watch.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:52 pm »

Hey so it turns out each mode is saved DF-style in a folder full of data files, and we can zip them all up and upload them for other people to enjoy! I've decided not to update my game just yet (they've fixed the bug with trees not growing and gotten rid of the L button generating logs) - I want infinite wood to create a massive palace for people to explore.

This game is going really well. They said the next update will be out in a few days. Very well worth the $7 as long as you can be patient through the alpha development (and inevitable bugs).

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2013, 12:18:32 pm »

I didn't even pay, I got my three keys by having a larger bank of stupidly obscure trivia knowledge and being quicker on the keyboard than someone else.

That was still the best key giveaway I've ever seen.
My cabbages!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:04 pm »

I tried it (Annoying Cockroach Edition) but i don't really like it. The fact that it's 2D with a side view makes things unwieldy for me (despite having played Terraria). I find it hard to deal with all the clutter too. Maybe this is because it's still in alpha, we'll see.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »

Looks like an interesting game. Posting to watch. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2013, 03:00:01 am »

New update alpha 4 is out !

Here is the update list, this game is also now on steam!:

This is a quick note to let you know that we've released Under the Ocean Alpha 4, which features:

* A brand new inventory system (better than stacking!)
* Construction of free objects (including rafts)
* A free form crafting system (no more slots on items)
* Merged construction & crafting screens
* New Fuse based activation system (detonate explosives remotely)
* Rockets!
* Over a hundred bug fixes
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2013, 04:06:48 am »

How deep is this game really? I know it's not finished but this game reminds me of Terraria meets Don't Starve or something. It looks great but content ends up being the most important in games like this. With all it's flashy style and presentation Don't Starve is not as great an experience than Terraria even though both games are awesome for what they are.

I've thought about the trend of games "coming out" before they are finished and I think in the end it's not the best way to go even though I understand why devs decide to do so. The potential always seems to outweigh the final product. I commend something like Starbound for waiting until most of the mechanics and content is implemented instead of coming out early in this age of 'pay me for this alpha and maybe something better will come out of it'

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2013, 03:36:40 am »

Man, i've tried to play this for 30 min now, and have not yet figured out how to do ANYTHING!
This has one of the worst interfaces known to man. There seems to be no way to actually equip or use anything.

ok, I finally got it: you gotta click the damn thing!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:40:34 am by ank »

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2013, 08:29:50 am »

Man, i've tried to play this for 30 min now, and have not yet figured out how to do ANYTHING!
This has one of the worst interfaces known to man. There seems to be no way to actually equip or use anything.

ok, I finally got it: you gotta click the damn thing!
wow
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9