Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baron..  (Read 1071 times)

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baron..
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:25:09 pm »

Okay sooo.. My Baron died.

Will I ever be able to gain another or am I screwed for the rest of the fortress?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Baron..
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26:44 pm »

YOU ARE SCREWED!

Seriously, sorry. Probably could mod-fix it.

Happened to me with my first Baron.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:31:32 pm »

That sucks. Oh well. All in the fun, right?

Time to search for a new embark.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:45:45 am »

Who cares about the baron? I kill those bastards regularly when they get too annoying. Its not like he affects how the fort works anyway.

They are cool the first time you get them, then you realize that they are just demanding bastards who give nothing in return. The king is really the worst though...
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:49:53 am »

It is worth noting that when Dwarves appoint their barons, they often choose the Dwarf most capable of taking several strikes to face, administered via silver warhammer.

Who cares about the baron? I kill those bastards regularly when they get too annoying. Its not like he affects how the fort works anyway.

They are cool the first time you get them, then you realize that they are just demanding bastards who give nothing in return. The king is really the worst though...
My Baron is a legendary Marksdwarf who regularly strolls around in raining blood shooting zombies in the face. I'd say that's a  valid contribution.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:31:05 am »

Fair enough, although you are aware that you can yourself choose whos baron and who isnt right? Choosing someone who is unlikely to mandate stuff which is hard to do (ex: lack of wood and he wants beds) and can be killed without loss is almost an absolute if you dont want to risk crippling your fort in a random mandate.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:36:28 am »

Fair enough, although you are aware that you can yourself choose whos baron and who isnt right? Choosing someone who is unlikely to mandate stuff which is hard to do (ex: lack of wood and he wants beds) and can be killed without loss is almost an absolute if you dont want to risk crippling your fort in a random mandate.
Mandates are a part of DF fun. I'd want it to be a challenge to deal with in the event of slade beds.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:47:33 am »

"He thought he was being a smartass, asking for slade beds. I just turned to him, looked him dead in the eye, and asked, 'how many'?"

That's right. If a noble asks for some unobtanium in my fortress, he better damn well get it or so help me Armok, the peasant housing is getting obsidianised. Cheesemakers are a drain on the economy anyway.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy