Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dralthas: Worth it?  (Read 5370 times)

Thk13421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dralthas: Worth it?
« on: October 20, 2012, 06:36:47 pm »

I grabbed a trio of dralthas in cage traps, and I've already tamed one, seemingly successfully. Is it worth trying to establish a breeding heard and using them to supplement my food/leather/bone stocks?

Also: Two of them (the undomesticated ones) both had offspring while in separate cages in my animal stockpile. Will these younger ones be easier to tame/need less space to pasture?

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
Re: Dralthas: Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:40:17 pm »

Draltha's are useless except for hunting, even with huge pastures they starve to death because they can't eat enough when you have them tamed.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:41 pm »

So breeding wild Dralthas is a profitable venture?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:09:05 pm »

If you remove [Grazer] :P

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Thk13421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:22 pm »

Well, so far I've noticed that, yes I can train dralthas, and they appear to be munching happily on the cavern cud. Also: While the adult dralthas I captured were only partially tamed (Probably due to the fact that I only have a novice animal trainer), the Dralthas born in captivity to untamed parents could be fully domesticated. It's weird that they could reproduce in cages.

It's entirely possible that the best system would be to have a bunch of wild ones in cages, wait for them to breed inside the cages (Spores FTW), then train them and immediately butcher them.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:47 pm »

So breeding wild Dralthas is a profitable venture?

With bonus of training military?

It'd certainly make for a killing on the market just with the bones, much less prepared meal made out of it, judging from the magmawiki entry on it.

Though it takes 5 years to get into adulthood, which's as long as it takes to be full-sized.

If you remove [Grazer] :P

I assume wild meant untamed, and non-tame critters don't grazes :D

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »

Well, so far I've noticed that, yes I can train dralthas, and they appear to be munching happily on the cavern cud. Also: While the adult dralthas I captured were only partially tamed (Probably due to the fact that I only have a novice animal trainer), the Dralthas born in captivity to untamed parents could be fully domesticated. It's weird that they could reproduce in cages.

It's entirely possible that the best system would be to have a bunch of wild ones in cages, wait for them to breed inside the cages (Spores FTW), then train them and immediately butcher them.

I'd assume it'd be easier to just kill them if you already have the military and let them breed wild in a locker rooms ( They also don't get spored up in cage, only males can spore OUT of it... Unless that's changed again? ) and cage them up so you don't lose all of your breeding stock while dumping the rest on the military.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:26:52 pm »

I lowered their grazing requirements to that of cows and kept them for a bit. Even with that reduced load it's not worth it because of the odd way in which size determines butchery returns. You're better off trying for some other cavern dweller. Elk birds are alright to have and easy to get hold of but you really do have to watch them when you breed them -- the time it takes for a grazer to starve is only slightly longer than the time it takes for a clutch of eggs to hatch.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Thk13421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:30:47 pm »

I keep elk birds in mind if the dralthas don't work out. BTW: are any catchable cavern dwellers trainable into war animals?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:35:05 pm »

I keep elk birds in mind if the dralthas don't work out. BTW: are any catchable cavern dwellers trainable into war animals?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Animal_trainer partial list of trainable animals here, I see Jabbers and cave dragons. I think there're more but it'd take time to check them out

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:09 pm »

Dralthas give tons of meat.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:02:32 pm »

Running a wild draltha breeding program would definitely be worth it. Wild animals don't graze, and you can hold a "running of the dralthas" every year where you sic the militia on a few you let out into a very large pen.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 08:05:57 pm »

Running a wild draltha breeding program would definitely be worth it. Wild animals don't graze, and you can hold a "running of the dralthas" every year where you sic the militia on a few you let out into a very large pen.
On top of that, non-tame corpses are usable, while tame creature won't be salvaged even when skeleton.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »

Undead pets can be butchered, though. Loud Whispers did some work with a necromancer-based zombie pig program or something, and it actually produces more edibles than the creatures themselves would if butchered alive, apparently because of the physical attribute bonuses the undead get to strength and toughness. So, after your running of the dralthas, maybe leave the corpses forbidden and let a necromancer rummage through the place before they start rotting and run 'em again! :P

Note that the undead can be scary because many of the things that weaken the living in combat like pain and fatigue don't occur to the undead, putting even highly-trained soldiers at a moderate disadvantage, especially when outnumbered.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:05:27 pm »

I think my main objection to this plan would be that eating rotten zombie meat is disgusting and it probably wiggles around in your stomach.
Pages: [1] 2