Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54

Author Topic: the peasant dwarf  (Read 88420 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: the peasant dwarf
« Reply #780 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:13 pm »

Glare menacingly. Instruct lizards and jabberer to do the same.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 09, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »

If we say anything to the guard, we should attempt to use dwarf-talk before talking to him in lizard-speach, by the way.

Edit: If the guard is wearing a copper cap, we could trick him into turning around; our runed pick should be able to get through it and knock him unconcious. We'll be able to take all his stuff, then kidnap him. He's bound to wear a shirt that we can tie him up with.

Edit2: The biggest problem with attacking here is the supplies we'll lose access to. We don't have an axe, which means we can't get wood, which prevents us from building one ourselves, along with every metal or wooden object. Unless we're digging down to the magma, but that'll be trouble. If we don't risk our lives by playing with the magma sea, we can only get scraps and animal product gear if we become enemies with the fort. How did I forget about coal, anyway?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:33:21 pm by AfellowDwarf »
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »

He's just doing his job. His job is to stop strange things from the caverns entering the fort. Mugging and kidnapping him isn't right.
Trying to convince him we are merchants would probably be the best solution. It's not even lying!

Btw, could we try looking for that dwarf who taught us runesmithing?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 10, 2013, 12:21:42 am »

He's just doing his job. His job is to stop strange things from the caverns entering the fort. Mugging and kidnapping him isn't right.
Agreed. It's just a formality. We should just tell him the truth. We've managed to "tame" a few lizardmen and we want to trade for arms before we leave.
Antagonizing this guy would be a poor course of action.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:41 am »

Bribe your way in with socks.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:45 am »

Agreed. It's just a formality. We should just tell him the truth. We've managed to "tame" a few lizardmen and we want to trade for arms before we leave.
Antagonizing this guy would be a poor course of action.
This.  We're local dwarven minor traders.  Nothing as formal as a caravan, but we are, and the lizards and giant death bird are on our side.

Also, seconded looking for our runesmithing teacher... but passively.  keep an eye out in the fort, and an ear out for anyone else wandering about the old fort when we get there.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:33 am »

Mugging and kidnapping him isn't right.
Right, wrong, whatever. What I see is a way of getting ourselves some cheap gear and an extra dwarf.

And while telling him we're traders will allow us passage, we should remember how dwarves trade. If we're going there as a trader, we'll have to try our luck with what we're going to be offered. If their broker is decent, we'll at least end up with items of greater worth, but we won't be able to chose what they'll put in the trade depot. Not to mention that the fortress might not even need our silver and meat. I also doubt they'll let us use workshops, since that will only work towards making our goods more costly for them.

Edit: I'm not saying mugging and kidnapping is the sensible thing to do, however, I believe that being viewed as a civilian will leave us in a better position then being a trader.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:55:08 am by AfellowDwarf »

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 10, 2013, 02:56:22 pm »

being viewed as a civilian will leave us in a better position then being a trader.
Yes. Let's keep in mind that we actually live here. Best not tell tall tales when the truth will be more effective.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 10, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »

Yes. Let's keep in mind that we actually live here. Best not tell tall tales when the truth will be more effective.
The only problem I can think of is that the dwarves might brand us a bearded elf for consorting with beastmen.
Edit: Also, it's important not utter the word 'tamed lizardman'(If we're even going to call them that) within hearing range of the female.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:32:24 pm by AfellowDwarf »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 10, 2013, 04:25:13 pm »

Guys, you forget that we're speaing about advendurer mode trading here, the peasant had bought and sold equipment for gold coins before.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »

For the love of...

The Peasant has a Forgotten Beast on his Notable Kill List! Drop your weapons, stick out your beard, and announce how cool you are! Promise to tell the tale, and start throwing back the free drinks!

Dwarven priorities, people.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:41 pm »

For the love of...

The Peasant has a Forgotten Beast on his Notable Kill List! Drop your weapons, stick out your beard, and announce how cool you are! Promise to tell the tale, and start throwing back the free drinks!

I don't think kills by cave-in count on adventure mode. He wouldn't be able to dig in the first place either... so the notable kill is for the pick or the stalactite?

Behold!! this is "Heavyfeather the merchant of rope" the copper pick slayer of "alien from the Simpsons" the forgotten beast! beware its charming glare?  :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:10:28 pm by Kaos »

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 11, 2013, 10:12:09 am »

Guys, you forget that we're speaing about advendurer mode trading here, the peasant had bought and sold equipment for gold coins before.
While the peasant was able to trade equipment and gold coins, this happened while people assumed he was either a civillian(trading in the fort) or an adventurer(caverns). If we tell the fort we are a trader, they'll treat us as such.

Edit: You know, it might be too dark for squinty eyes here to see us. We should use sparkelgem to show him we're a dwarf. To avoid confusion, we need to shout that we're not a wizard trying to kill them so we can raise their flesh as an army.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:55:03 pm by AfellowDwarf »

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:51 am »

It has been more then a week, and we're on the third page, so I'm afraid you'll have to exuse me.
"Bump"

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:03 pm »

For the love of...

I don't think kills by cave-in count on adventure mode. He wouldn't be able to dig in the first place either... so the notable kill is for the pick or the stalactite?

Behold!! this is "Heavyfeather the merchant of rope" the copper pick slayer of "alien from the Simpsons" the forgotten beast! beware its charming glare?  :P
We purposely caused thw cave-in, so yeah, we killed it. This isn't DF, either, but if all else fails, show him WallPoke the Bone of Terror and say "Let me pass, and this is all yours."
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54