Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Homework->Interview (Programmer)  (Read 664 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Homework->Interview (Programmer)
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:13:54 am »

Well, for my Korean homework (worth 5 out of 100 points), I felt like I actually wanted to interview someone, not just asking my dad a couple of questions.
Since I'm interested in programming, I'd like to interview a programmer, over PMs, preferably.
I don't know where exactly to post this, so here it is. xD

Can someone volunteer, or perhaps recommend a interviewee? I think Bay12 had a couple programmers, as in people who code for a living.

It doesn't matter which kind they are, be it designing, systems, or database.

I basically just send the person a suite of questions, probably 15, and that person replies!
I'll be doing the translation. Though what the name would be is a problem... make up one? xD
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:21:00 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interview: Programmer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:04:15 am »

Hello Skyrunner.

I know I don't have a lot of posts, but I mostly just lurk around here anyway. I made this account some time ago.

I am a programmer. More specifically I am a student, and a programmer. I have a part time job as a student programmer at a local company developing a huge search engine, where I specialize in optimizing their code to run on big parallel systems. When not working, I study computer science, or program, most likely both at the same time.

I don't mind answering some questions to a aspiring programmer/computer scientist. =)
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homework->Interview (Programmer)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:04:17 pm »

I'm a full time programmer who didn't have a degree in comp science. That makes me more interesting :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »

If you're looking I'll volunteer. I'm two years into a Computer Science degree, currently doing a paid year long internship as a programmer, working on the platform team of a Business SMS company.

The company where I work is pretty awesome, with a heavy focus on agile development methodologies (especially Scrum (the teams have daily sprint meetings every morning), Test Driven Development, Pair programming).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:09:33 pm »

Hmm... Can I send you all the questions? xD I'm genuinely curious about programmers as a job.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:00:43 am »

Questionnares sent out :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »

I'm a web programmer working in the industry with a 4 year college degree. Just to differentiate me from the competition above.

How did you say this position we're interviewing for is paying again? ;)