Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Systematic Coexistence! -- Making DF more realistic  (Read 788 times)

nomnum

• Bay Watcher
  • Spayships
    • View Profile
    • Eighteen Pixels
Systematic Coexistence! -- Making DF more realistic
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:56:59 am »

First, I should probably start by saying that the majority of what is said in this article goes for adventurer mode and adventurer mode only. With that:

In my opinion adventurer is going a little lifeless. Not in what you can do (especially with the upcoming patch), but what happens when you aren't doing anything. The sad truth is I cant wait to be ambushed by goblins or attacked by bogeymen, because otherwise there is no activity whatsoever in the world.

1. Civilizations on break? Why is it that everyone is at home doing absolutely nothing? Shouldn't the farmers be farming on the fields at each town? Why arent the hunters and rangers hunting? Even if the farmer doesnt really obtain crops or the hunters never kills a animal, it would add to the liveliness of the game.

2. Raids? It seems as the goblins and kobolds are always ready to jump on your back, but they never attack a town or village. When i say attack i dont mean a full-fledged siege (that would most likely destroy everything in world gen) but maybe just 3-5 goblins periodically attacking a village just to spice things up.
*Sub-suggestion: There should be a messanger. This way if a town is under attack, within a couple of hours a child will come running to you town to tell you*

3. Professions? This is sort of a add-on to my first suggestion. When I get maimed or damaged in a battle, it would be great if i could go to a surgeon/doctor.etc. and have them do something. Im not asking for them to do something out of the ordinary, in fact, its less about the injury and more about having a interactive environment. Currently there are soldiers and commoners, because the professions mean nothing without individuality.

Like i stated, i understand most of this if not all will not be used for multiple reasons like it can open up too many exploits, it would make world gen insanely difficult, and just the fact that it would down-right crush your processors, but i thought iw ould just give a little taste of my dwarf utopia.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:30:35 pm by nomnum »
One does not simply...
Manage a dwarven fortress.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Systematic Coexistence! -- Making DF more realistic
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:39:26 am »

You might be pleased to know that number 2 is being worked on for the next update. In fact, most of it is already programmed. Number one is also planned and being worked on,  as well as number 3, I believe.

Goblins arrive at their target village/town now and split up into several groups which will very soon be causing trouble. The mayhem has to work at each of the different resolutions (on the other side of the world, with the abstract site map loaded, and with the actual tiles loaded), though I doubt I'll work through the tile resolution problems fully now, since buildings are going to be demolished and I don't want to get bogged down. Once buildings are being destroyed and civilians are being harried, I'm going to have the enemies camp out for a while with some survivors lingering so you can figure out what's going on and have a bit of an adventure involvement with it. I think the enemy encampments will probably end up being the first places infiltrated (as in the hero role dev pages), and that we're going to move directly toward that once the camp exists, and then we'll dial back the goblin rampage a bit at times and also get back to infiltrating bandit camps.

nomnum

• Bay Watcher
  • Spayships
    • View Profile
    • Eighteen Pixels
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:15:33 am »

You might be pleased to know that number 2 is being worked on for the next update. In fact, most of it is already programmed. Number one is also planned and being worked on,  as well as number 3, I believe.

Goblins arrive at their target village/town now and split up into several groups which will very soon be causing trouble. The mayhem has to work at each of the different resolutions (on the other side of the world, with the abstract site map loaded, and with the actual tiles loaded), though I doubt I'll work through the tile resolution problems fully now, since buildings are going to be demolished and I don't want to get bogged down. Once buildings are being destroyed and civilians are being harried, I'm going to have the enemies camp out for a while with some survivors lingering so you can figure out what's going on and have a bit of an adventure involvement with it. I think the enemy encampments will probably end up being the first places infiltrated (as in the hero role dev pages), and that we're going to move directly toward that once the camp exists, and then we'll dial back the goblin rampage a bit at times and also get back to infiltrating bandit camps.

THATS GREAT!!!
One does not simply...
Manage a dwarven fortress.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:08:02 am »

You pretty much suggested the near-term development goals. Working civilians (i.e. point 1 and 3) were release 5 of the old caravan arc plan (v0.34 was release 1, sort of). That plan was scrapped in favor of improving the hero role, but an active and living world is still a huge factor.

So, in short, I guess we'll see all that in the next two or three releases.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:52:49 am »

People really should read through the development goals more, not as much to not have threads like this pop up but for their own sake so they can see all the COMPLETELY AWESOME stuff that's planned and set to make this great game even greater in a hopefully not too distant future ^^

Feels like 99% of all the things people hope for and suggest are already planned and then some ;)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:18:32 pm »

People really should read through the development goals more, not as much to not have threads like this pop up but for their own sake so they can see all the COMPLETELY AWESOME stuff that's planned and set to make this great game even greater in a hopefully not too distant future ^^

Feels like 99% of all the things people hope for and suggest are already planned and then some ;)

And the stuff not planned has a VERY good reason to not be planned...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:08 am »

I'd like it if you could learn from villagers as well, a swimming teacher to teach my stupid companions how not to drown every time we ford a river would be awesome -.-